Please sign in to post.

Vienna-Budapest

Hi everyone.
I am planning to go to central Europe in summer. my arrival is June 6th in Vienna and departure is June 16th.
I have no plan but I was thinking it might be a good idea to check out these cities. I have two options but not sure which one to pick.
First;
June 6th Vienna
june 7th Vienna
June 8th Vienna
June 9th Budapest
June 10th Budapest
June 11th Budapest

June 12th Budapest
June 13 Berlin
June 14 Berlin
June 15 Berlin.

Second option
June 6th Vienna
june 7th Vienna
June 8th Vienna
June 9th Vienna ( day trip to salzburg)
June 10th Vienna ( day trip to Bratislava)
June 11th Budapest

June 12th Budapest
June 13 Budapest
June 14Budapest

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

My vote is for the second option. but would change the day trip from Bratislava to Brno.

Posted by
4637 posts

I also would go for the second option. It's too much to do 3 big cities in just 10 days. Besides Berlin is too far from Budapest and Vienna. A lot of your precious time would be spent on the way there.

Posted by
9792 posts

i would go for something more like the second option, but with two days in Salzburg (including at least one overnight if not two) and skip Bratislava. If this is the only time you have -- Salzburg is so gorgeous, and really different than Vienna and Budapest, while Bratislava (yes, it's more convenient to GET to) is kind of meh.

Posted by
8214 posts

I would go with the second option but starting in Budapest. We stopped by Bratislava to rest 2 days before hitting the many tourist sights of Vienna. It is just a 1 hour 39 mile bus ride into Vienna.
I would suggest skipping Salzburg as it is too far west for one day excursion.
There are good flights out of Europe from the Vienna airport.

Posted by
2487 posts

And/or have a day trip to Melk for its monastery and/or to Eisenstadt for its Esterhazy palace.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all, is there anything especial about Bratislava?
what about Ljubljana? have you heard about that too?

Posted by
27368 posts

Ljubljana is a charming city, but it's about 6 hours by train from Vienna and considerably farther from Budapest.

Posted by
2620 posts

Definitely the 2nd option--I made just such a trip twice now in the past 4 years, and have my 4th trip to Budapest already set for next May--clearly they are favorite cities that pair so easily together by train. I also agree that a day trip to Salzburg and/or Melk Abbey/Danube river trip is easy from Vienna, and from Budapest you might like to take the HEV train 45 minutes to a charming little town called Szentendre. But not to worry, there's plenty to do in Budapest for 4 days.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

If you are entertaining the thought of option #3 with Berlin and Budapest or Vienna, it's doable if you want to fly. Be advised you have also the option of taking the night train Berlin-Budapest, or Berlin-Vienna, (I've done this one a couple of times)

Posted by
18572 posts

June 6, arrive Vienna
7 Vienna
8 Vienna with Melk / Wachau day trip
9 Vienna
10 Vienna to Gyor (morning) / visit Archabbey at Pannonhalma
11 Gyor to Budapest in morning (Pest)
12 Budapest (Pest)
13 Budapest (Buda)
14 Budapest / Szentendre with boat back to Budapest (Pest)
15 Budapest (Pest)
16 Return home