Please sign in to post.

versailles

We have such a short time in Paris----what do you think of taking the time to see versailles as I'm fascinated with history. Do you know the cost? How much time should we u plan on spending there? Thank you again for all of you're help----it is amazing to me how kind you are to take the time to answer my many questions. Corinne

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been to Verailles many times now, 6 or 7 anyways,, and I would not miss it, but, if your visit to Paris is only for 2 or 3 days,, I would NOT go to Versailles as you would not have enough time in Paris . I do agree to really enjoy it ,, one should schedule most of the day,, but it can be done in a half day( but you will not get to see all the grounds and outbuildings etc)

Posted by
525 posts

I agree with Pat, however if you are facinated with King Louis and Marie Antoinette in particular - this maybe a must see for you. I would make sure everyone in your party feels the same way though.

Versailles would take approx 5 hours to tour. In my opinion the palace itself should be done quickly. Spend the majority of your time in the gardens, at MA's petit palace and her farm. Those I found particularly interesting. The gardens are stunning (I hope you are going when the weather is warm). Also, if you can at all plan your time to go when the foutains are going - that would be worth seeing. We did not get to see that. I would completely skip the Dauphine Apartments. They are not as restored/upkept as the palace itself and not terribly interesting.

Paris has a lot to offer for history and I would say that Versailles can wait until a return trip if you have very limited time. We had 4 nights in Paris before we left and then we toured Versailles all day before heading to the Loire Valley. That felt about right for us.

Oh and get the Paris museum pass and make sure you figure in Versailles as one of the days on your pass. I can't stress this enough. I forgot it covered Versailles, so I only got a 2 day pass while in Paris. When we go to Versailles, we had to stand in a ticket line for an hour. If we had our Paris pass for more than 2 days worth - we could have skipped that line all together. So whatever the cost of a 2 or 4 day Paris museum pass would be is what this would cost you.

Posted by
2193 posts

If your schedule allows for four to five hours, not including travel time, I don't think you should pass on Versailles. The historical significance is very important, but the opulence of the Châteaux and the magnificence of the formal gardens will impress you like nothing you've seen before. Just avoid Tuesday & Sunday, and try to get there by 9 (or arrive in early afternoon).

Posted by
7209 posts

Only 2 or 3 days in Paris - I would NOT go to Versailles. It takes to long to wade through the hordes of visitors. There is so much to see and do and experience in Paris that I would not waste your precious little vacation time standing in throngs and throngs of people...most of whom have Paris Museum Pass trying to get in front of everyone else. The queueing at Versailles is absolutely ridiculous and ill-managed.

Posted by
57 posts

Versailles is huge. It's a full day endeavor to do it right. If you're staying in Paris, allow at least an hour each way on the RER and walking time to and from the stations. Get the museum pass before you go if you are planning on arriving after 9:00am, the ticket line is OK before 9. You'll wait a while if you get there after 9.

Take lots of breaks, especially in the summer, it will be miserably hot, so hydrate often and pace yourself. If you plan on walking the grounds, make sure you have good shoes, the place very big. I saw ladies wearing bloodied flip flops and high heels. Nuts.

Posted by
319 posts

If you feel like you need a break from the city I would totally go to Varnailles. We were in Paris for 4 nights and on a sunny day we went. It was great. I'm so glad that we did it.

Posted by
11507 posts

As Michelle pointed out, it is a nice break from city sightseeing. You will encounter some crowds inside the palace,, but the grounds are massive and you can wander for hours and really just have a relaxing day.