Please sign in to post.
Posted by
32219 posts

It will be interesting to see how they implement this fee. I suspect it's mostly aimed at the cruise ship hordes, but day trippers arriving by train may also have to pay it.

Posted by
6788 posts

@Kaeleku - What SE Asian countries are you referring to that have implemented $250/day fees to enter?

Posted by
1825 posts

This is to make money and not to cut down on tourists. If they wanted to control the daily mass influx they would restrict the cruise ships.

Posted by
6538 posts

Yes, presumably the cruise lines will pay the tax and add the cost to their fares, a negligible increase for the passenger. Seems like a revenue producer rather than a day-trip deterrer. But it would help the city with the cost of hosting all those folks who don't pay the hotel tax.

Posted by
2417 posts

Cruise ships will not add the tax to the fare. Cruise ships have a separate charge for taxes and port fees in addition to the base fare. This often is an unpleasant surprise for first time cruisers. On my transatlantic cruise last spring, these fees were about $200 each.

Posted by
6538 posts

Yes, that's right, they show up on top of the advertised fare. Usually called "government taxes" just in case we didn't know where they came from. Don't blame the cruise line if the nasty government wants something back for the infrastructure and service it provides!

Posted by
18032 posts

Kaeleku, another rare occasion when we agree. I would be okay with a $300 a person entry fee to places like Dubrovnik. Would make so much, so much more enjoyable.

Posted by
1825 posts

Hey, if you really want to be elitist.....why not genetic testing?

Posted by
1321 posts

when you cruise to Alaska you will see a $50 charge that the state puts on all cruisers to offset the cost that cruise ships bring to those ports/towns. It's not that crazy of an idea. Want to drive in downtown Oslo - pay the "entrance fee"