Please sign in to post.

Venice

Will be there June 13-16 and have heard about the smell in the summer, will I experience this?

Posted by
188 posts

I've been in Venice in June and didn't notice a bad smell (other than that wafting from fellow travelers who needed showers!). There is a notion among some travelers that the Venetian canals "smell" in summer. Actually, I think it's not really true as much work has been done in the past decade to clean up the lagoon and once again allow the ebb and flow of the Adriatic to work as nature intended it. Don't think you need to worry about that, Mike. I'd be more worried about pickpockets in St. Mark's Square. Although, I never had that problem there either. Enjoy one of the world's best cities! Wish I were going.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks much, can not wait to go, any must see/do/eat insight?

Posted by
2193 posts

I've read reports/concerns here about the smell and the mosquito problem...was there in early July and didn't experience either.

Posted by
376 posts

I was there last week of July and also did not experience any smells and it was hot! You'll love Venice.

Posted by
188 posts

Mike, I like to get as far away from St. Mark's Square as possible. I especially like the Dorsoduro squiro (district). Ride the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal to get an idea of how beautiful Venice is from the water. And just walk everywhere! The further you get from St Mark's Square, the quieter Venice gets. If you're looking for recommendations for places to eat, try www.chowhound.com. And do not fail under any cirucumstance to repeatedly try gelato...from as many places as possible in order to be fair in the voting!

Posted by
6898 posts

We were in Venice in early June a couple of years ago. No smell and no mosquitos.

Posted by
85 posts

I just returned from Venice a week ago. No smells but the bitting insects were just coming out. There are no screens in Venice and even the in the beginning of May it was warm enough to want to leave windows open at night in your hotel room. Got some minor itching from a few bites at night but other than that loved Venice.

Posted by
1914 posts

Yes...terrible smell, when I pass a boat selling freshly caught fish. There was one near where we stayed and every time we walked by it smelled bad, but no where else.