Please sign in to post.

venice

What is Venice like in autumn/winter? What is the social scene, the weather, the general vibe? Thanks so much for your replies in advance:))

Posted by
582 posts

I'm going to be there this November. The way the weather changes, this question will be hard to answer, but I'm going to dress in layers. I bought a beautiful soft sweater, and I'll wear lighter things under that. I'll wear slacks for sure. I have a feeling it can get pretty cool. I also bought a good warm, but light weight jacket, gloves,scarf and a hat.

Posted by
204 posts

read 'a thousand days in venice' by marlena de blasi. she's an american who married a venetian and lived there for over 3 years. you'll get an idea of how things are there.

Posted by
2030 posts

I went there in late October a few years ago and it was wonderful. A unique, beautiful, romantic city -- with great shopping! I would say their food is not the best in Italy, but you can do OK. An Italian tour guide told me the # of tourists drops significantly about the 2nd week of November, when there are less cruise ships in port. I'm planning a trip back there in Nov. 2009 to check this out. I don't care what the weather is like -- it will be worth it to experience the city without all the hordes of day-tripping tourists. It is particularly wonderful at night. You can walk anywhere, get lost, and not worry.

Posted by
582 posts

I just remembered that in an older Italy guide book, Rick Steves said that November and March is flood season in Venice! We'll just have to hope for the best!

Posted by
712 posts

I think any month is a great month to visit Venice. High tide only last for a few hours and does not happen in all areas. I think the areas near St. Mark's Square are the the lowest. We had a flood tide when when were there the end of Sept. I never saw it in the area I was wandering around in that day. My husband was down by St. Mark's and saw it. I wish I had experienced it. Your hotel can probably tell you when it might occur and you can either avoid it during those few hours or go see it.

Posted by
110 posts

I've visited Venice in late Nov/early Dec, and loved it. Now and agin there's "aqua alta" (high water) but that in itself is pretty interesting. For a couple of hours a day the population gets about walking on elevated duckboards. And btw you see some of the stylin'est wellies anywhere.

Virtually no crowds, you can wlk right into all of the sights and not feel jostled.

Frankly I love late fall winter in Europe..almost like having the place to yourself.

Posted by
12172 posts

I visited in mid/late October. The weather was very nice, comfortable day and night. We had one evening of sprinkles but not enough for an umbrella or to keep people off the street. There were lots of people, I would say crowded but I'm sure not nearly as bad as summer months.

Posted by
349 posts

I spent 4 days in Venice in late October. 2 days were lovely fall days and I thought what a great time; I had fun boat rides to the outter islands. Then I had two winter like days I was amazed how all much less fun everything was . ( I am sure a hot August day would also be no fun) Message first 2 weeks of October great last 2 iffy.

Posted by
340 posts

We were in Venice in the first half of December. It can be quite chilly or cold and damp. Layers work well and something to cover your head when the cold wind blows off the water is a good idea. I like to pick up those pashima type scarves when I am there because they are so versatile, pretty, and a good souvenir. Plus european women wear scarves so much that it makes you feel a bit local. Crowds are almost non-existent so it feels less touristy and residents seem more relaxed. The closer you are to Christmas the more likely you are to experience Advent and holiday activities. Some of the neighborhoods have small Christmas Markets in their piazzas. None of it is nearly as commercialized as it is here.

Posted by
964 posts

I had a very brief visit to Venice in mid October a couple of years ago and it was really warm. There were a lot less crowds than in the summer and I thought it was rather pleasant! (That sounds very 'English', doesn't it?!)