Please sign in to post.

Vegetarian options

Hi all,

I'll be in France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy in the coming weeks. For those of you who have been to these countries, have you noticed if it's easy to find things to eat that do not contain animal products? I don't eat any meat, eggs, yogurt, or milk but will occasionally eat dishes prepared with butter and cheese ( just when I travel - it's so difficult to avoid those ingredients). When I'm not traveling I am vegan.

Should I plan to pack food from home? Are there specific locations that I might have a tricky time finding suitable options?

I know not everyone will agree with how I eat one way if the other, but I would really appreciate any planning help. Thanks so much!!

Posted by
13809 posts

I can only tell you my experience in Italy last year. I am vegan and I had absolutely no problem finding food. I had printed out a card to take with me saying what foods I have set aside and only had to use it once. All other places the waiters spoke enough English and understood immediately what I needed to avoid. They were very good about pointing out what would be good to order. I did wind up having croissant for breakfast (butter) and yes, had cappuccino as well. I was told you really can't ask for the kitchen to hold certain ingredients as you might here but it was easy to find appropriate dishes on every menu.

I am heading to France, Switzerland and German in the Fall, so will look forward to what answers you get on those countries.

Posted by
8934 posts

Being Vegan in Germany is extremely popular, so you shouldn't have any problems at all finding things to eat. Even bakeries often offer at least one choice of dessert, whether it is a cupcake, donut, or cake that is vegan. Many restaurants want to cater to the preferences of their guests and offer choices that reflect that. Fresh and seasonal produce is popular in restaurants, and you will also find many vegetarian or vegan cafes in any large city. Sometimes eating ethnic offers even more possibilities, Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern.

This link might prove useful. My daughter who is Vegan uses it when she has traveled around Europe:
http://www.happycow.net/

Found this one too, which then goes on to list even more links:
http://yummyplants.com/vegans-around-the-world/vegans-around-the-world-vegan-friendly-restaurants-in-germany/

Posted by
13809 posts

Ms. Jo, that is wonderful information! In UK last fall, I did eat often at Indian restaurants as it was so easy to find a wide choice on their menus.

Posted by
15560 posts

France is a tad difficult - most of the baked goods probably have eggs, butter and/or milk. The bread is usually vegan, I'm told. There are a couple of vegetarian restaurants in central Paris. I don't remember offhand, but I would expect that they'd have some vegan selections. You can easily get foods at supermarkets in France and Germany (haven't been to Switzerland) that you could turn into lunches and snacks.

Posted by
3387 posts

Switzerland might be a challenge for you depending on which part you are going to. They are really into their cured meats and cheeses, especially for breakfast and on sandwiches for lunch. Luckily they are really into bread and pasta in some areas, so that might save you. There is a good variety of fruits and veggies in the markets if you want to pick up some of your own food. In the larger cities you'll find ethnic restaurants such as Italian so you can find some vegetarian pasta options as well as the random Indian and Chinese place. You should be fine - no need to pack food from home.

Posted by
7453 posts

You will probably be fine if you are tolerant of ingredients used in preparation, like as you mentioned, butter and cheeses, but likely you might add milk and eggs to that list. Not as major ingredients, but as part of pastas, breads, or in cooking vegetables.

Certainly though I have noticed more and more restaurants indicating Vegetarian and Vegan dishes.

Posted by
11294 posts

You should know that bio is used in French to mean "organic" so a biomarché (pronounced, roughly, bee-oh-mar-shay) is an organic grocery. I don't remember for sure, but I think the term is similar in German. If you are in major cities, you will be able to find suitable foods at these.