Please sign in to post.

Using credit/debit cards in Italy/ Europe 2009

Do you have any recommendations for the use of credit cards or debit cards while traveling in Italy. The fees from Visa include a transaction fee and a conversion fee and can add up...
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Posted by
3313 posts

I was shocked last week to get a notice from my credit card company that it will now charge me 3% for foreign transactions. They didn't before. Others have reported Capital One still does not charge a transaction fee. For that reason, I'd consider opening an account for foreign trave.

Otherwise, I'll probably rely on my debit card (verifying its charges before I leave and making sure I have a high daily withdrawal limit) and use more cash.

Posted by
4132 posts

If these fees concern you, shop around for a card and a bank that does not charge them, or at any rate only charges the minimum 1% conversion markup.

They exist.

Posted by
23291 posts

The conversion fee is a cost of doing business. In this case traveling. Even 3% is a modest fee for the convenient and security from using debit and credit cards.

Posted by
345 posts

Must be a sign of the financial times, Bank of America/Visa just sent me notice they changed the terms of all foreign transactions on my VISA and added fees. I'm going to have to research new cards before my next trip.

Posted by
800 posts

Will continue to put in a plug for Charles Schwab account - no fee for withdrawing, refund of ATM fees from other banks, 0-1% foreign transaction rate, great card to use for travel.