Please sign in to post.

Updated Europe itinerary for July 2016 - please help! Many Thanks! (edited for better wording...)

Home airport to NYC Delta (paid flight) arriving 1pm

New York Z Hotel in Long Island City for fireworks. Reserved. But...
Alternately, we would love to use some hotel points in for this stay but we aren't having much luck finding a conveniently located hotel with a view of the Manhattan Skyline to watch the fireworks. This is a super short stay. Suggestions anyone…Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, SPG?

New York to London Heathrow (Award flight) 10:10am departure 10:10 pm arrival
After clearing customs at Heathrow should we take the train from Heathrow to Paddington station and then Paddington to Green Park Station near the May Fair Hotel? Is this possible with luggage? If not or we miss the last train, what is the an expediant way to get from the airport to the May Fair in the least expensive way.

London 5 nights May Fair Hotel (Hotel point award)

Where to eat, what to do, day trip ideas, is there a grocery store near the hotel for room essentials - breakfast items and Gin and tonic? Is Harry Potter worth the time? - I'm a real Potter fan but we have been to Universal Studio's Harry Potter World in Florida...

Eurostar to Paris 3:31pm

Paris Park Hyatt Vendome 5 nights (Hotel point award)

This will be an expensive city...suggestions to save on restaurants, attractions, transport, grocery store for essentials, what to do, how to get to and from locations? Bastille Day is on the 14th and both the 14th and 15th are national holidays Fete Nationale? Great for celebrations - bad for public transport?

Air France to Florence 1:10pm departure 3pm arrival

Florence 3 nights Hotel Spadai $800 or Alfieri9 Junior suite $640 (must cancel one)

Which is the best choice? Alfieri9 offers free parking. We're considering a car rental at the airport if we choose that one so we could explore the countryside on one of the two full days and provide our own tranport to and from the hotel -saving $100. Another option for either hotel is to hire a driver/guide to tour the countryside for a day.

Train to Venice How soon can we book? Which train should we choose?

Venice 3 nights Hotel Moresco Chestnut Vendor's Room (splurge)
We're currently researching must do's and tips for avoiding crowds and lines! Suggestions for nearby grocery, restaurants, attractions, and getting around are welcomed.

Train to Rome Which one? Splurge for Business worth the price?

Rome 4 nights Kame-Hall Leonardo Suite Bed and Breakfast

We're researching must sees - *paid tours vs self touring, restaurants, grocery...

Rome to London British Airways Business award flight

Heathrow Hilton (point stay unfavorable here)
Convenience is paramount as we will be exhausted and in need of a good rest before a very long day of travel ahead.

**British Airways return award flight (flying American Airlines metal) to New York arrives at 3:30pm
Edit - I was successul in changing this flight to an earlier one that no longer creates a problem with our connecting flight at JFK

Connection at JFK Delta flight to Home Airport departs at 7:25pm Arrives 9:37 pm. One hour drive home - back to work the next day!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you MrsEB, I see now where my post was confusing on both accounts. The link to the train schedule is great!

We do have a reservation at the Z Hotel in Long Island City. This hotel will afford great views of the fireworks but we have a good number of hotel points and would rather use points than pay for a hotel if possible. I should have asked what Hilton, Marriott, SPG, IHG, Club Carlson or Hyatt hotels offer a good view of the fireworks. For instance, there is a Hilton in Long Island that advertises views of Manhattan but I haven't been able to find any reviews that verify whether or not it would be a good choice.

This problem has been corrected! Our return flight from LHR to JFK was booked as a round trip British Airways award flgiht... Amerian Airlines is fulfilling that as a partner of British Airways - confusing, I know but they have the better business class seats so we were happy about that! Our connection at JFK is to a seperately booked and paid flight with Delta to get us to our home airport. American won't make changes because it is technically a British Airways flight. I've tried calling British Airways without success today, but will continue to try. When we bought that Delta ticket, we had a 3 hr 45min buffer now it is down to 1 hour and 20 minutes and we have clear customs and make it to our Delta gate in time!