Please sign in to post.

Ukraine

What to see and do in Kharkiv? It was the best flight into Ukraine, so why not spend a few days and poke around.

What to see and do on Kyiv? It's my 3rd trip to Kyiv so I'm looking for the odd, unusual and off beat. Done all of the typical.

Posted by
4637 posts

Kharkov is too far to the east. Maybe rebel area? I would probably skip that area not to pull Devil on his tail.

Posted by
445 posts

Kharkov is one of my favorite cities, but it's primarily because of wonderful people I have met there over the years - as far as "attractions" go, there isn't too much to write home about, at least compared to Kiev, Odessa, or Lviv.

The main square is very impressive; the metro not as ornate as other underground systems in post-Soviet space, but it is quite efficient. The central botanical garden and adjacent park are worth a visit.

I last visited in 2010 - back then both the music scene and the food scene were quite vibrant.

Overall, a wonderful place once you get to know the locals.

Posted by
27104 posts

I haven't been to Kharkiv. From my multiple-sourced list of things to do in Kyiv I list some things you might have missed. Many are walk-bys, and others are art-focused. The visiting hours were researched during spring 2018. Most of these I didn't have time for.

Ukrainian Decorative Folk Art Museum, 21 Sichnevogo Povstannya Bld. 29, on P. Lavra grounds.

Landscape Alley, Vladimirskaya St., 2 - Zhitomirskaya St., 36: Pedestrianized alley with street sculptures and great views.

St. Michael’s Cathedral of the Golden Domes, Trokhsvyatytelska vul. 6: lovely interior. Reconstructed after blown up in the 1930s.

Zverinets Caves and Archangel Mykhail Monastery, Michurina prov. 20-23: Hard to find. Good views.

National Art Museum of Ukraine, 6 Grushevskogo St: fabulous collection. Not large. Guided tour about $5. Wed-Thu 10:00-17:00, Fri 12:00-19:00, Sat 11:00-18:00, Sun 10:00=17:00.

Holy Trinity Monastery of St. Jonah, in Botanical Garden, Timiryazivska St 1.

Vydubichy Monastery, Vydubytska vul. 40: old, smallish, beautiful. On back side of botanical garden. Apparently accessible by Metro followed by trolley.

Pinchuk Art Centre, 1/3-2, Block A, Velyka Vasylkivska (2A Ul. Krasnoarmeyskaya-Basseynaya) / Basejna vul. 2: contemporary art. Astounding collection. Free. Good cafe on top floor, SkyArtCafe. Tue-Sun 12:00-21:00.

Feofania Park, Lebedyeva akademika vul. 32,: 30 min. from center. Green, man-made ponds, pretty gardens but few benches. Daily 8:00-23:00.

St. Pantholeimon monastery/nunnery, Feofania Park: Really striking, red with white trim.

Liberman Mansion, Writer’s Union House, Bankova vul. 2: exterior is nice.

Chocolate House, Shovkovichna, vul. 17/2: 19th century, with part of interior art nouveau. Apparently houses a children’s museum.

Weeping Widow Mansion, Lyuteranska vul. 23: Art Deco.

St. Cyril’s Monastery, Oleny Telihy St 12—walk through Babi Yar park 30 minutes. Great frescoes. 11th century. Fri-Wed 10:00-17:30, Thu 10:00-16:30.

Heydar Aliyev Park, Glybochytska vul. 24: Small but very pretty. Azeri-Ukr friendship. Near Kreshtaka Street. (Just if you're already in the area.)

Bakove Cemetery, 6 Baikova Street.

Bohdan and Varvara Khanenko National Museum of Arts, Tereshchenkivska St., 15/17: European and Asian. Quite good. Wed-Sun 10:30-17:30. Same as Museum of Russian Art, Tereshhenkovskaya st., 9? ( 19C-20C. Not huge. Tue-Wed and Fri-Sun 10:00-18:00. Some interesting rooms as well as art.)

Knight House (Podgorskovo House), Yaroslaviv Val vul. 1. To see more than the ground floor (free), need to book tour. House not in good condition but still sounds interesting. Pseudo-Gothic?

House Uexkull-Gildenbanda, Shelkovichnoe St 19. Exterior only.

Alley Named After the Heroes of Heavenly Hundred (2014 Massacre), Institutskaya St.

Pokrovsky (Intercession) Monastery, Bekhterovsky Pereulok 15: pretty exterior and interior. Might this have dress restriction?

National Bank of Ukraine, Instytutska vul. 9: Magnificent building in eclectic style, including Moorish.

Shota Rushtaveli Public (Sculpture) Garden, Shota Rushtaveli St at Saksaganskogo St.: small

Tsekh Art Gallery, Kyrylivska vul. 69. Contemporary exhibitions and sale. Tue-Sat 14:00-20:00.

Brucie Collections, Artema St. 55B. Displays and sells. Mostly photography.

Soviet Occupation Museum, Stelmaha 6A: Only summary info in English. One room in apartment bldg. (This sounded so small that even I skipped it.)

Kyoto Park, 1 Kyoto St.: Japanese-style garden, probably small. Daily 12:00-23:59.

Posted by
27104 posts

I figured I might not get back there again, so I read everything I could find. I really liked the city, and now I want to go back. I didn't have a lot of time for just walking around because of all the historical sights and art museums.

Posted by
17908 posts

Acraven, pretty amazing town isn't it. I haven't got a clue what to expect in Kharkiv, but I'm looking forward to it. I will have to agree with the Russian with one thing, the Ukrainians I met in Kyiv, Odesa and Lviv were kind, generous and welcoming. Shame the are having to deal with war.

Posted by
17908 posts

scythian

I looked up your monestary. Almost exactly halfway between Donetsk and Luhansk (why are those names so familiar?); but only about 2.5 hours from Kharkiv. I can get a car and driver / interpreter for about $100 a day so. .... maybe. Thanks for the tip.