Please sign in to post.
Posted by
13892 posts

Interesting and thanks for posting, Susan. I wonder if the airlines will have to check that people have completed the proper ETIAS paperwork? The article doesn't mention that or whether you can apply for ETIAS at the border.

I always think it's surprising that UK doesn't require US citizens to fill out some kind of request since we make their passport holders complete an ESTA.

Posted by
9420 posts

Nancy, those threads are about a year old. Some may have missed them. I did.
The link i provide was not in the other 1-2 threads. I think this article explains it well, although Pam’s questions are good ones. I doubt though you can apply at the border as the point is for them to know ahead of your arrival.

Posted by
6306 posts

I wonder if the airlines will have to check that people have
completed the proper ETIAS paperwork? The article doesn't mention that
or whether you can apply for ETIAS at the border.

You will need to apply for one in advance. And will most likely be denied boarding if you arrive at the airport without one.

I always think it's surprising that UK doesn't require US citizens to
fill out some kind of request since we make their passport holders
complete an ESTA.

There have been proposals to introduce something similar in the UK, but I don't know how serious the proposals are.

Posted by
3044 posts

Of course the ETIAS does not guarantee admission. The whole point is to allow the EU to screen arrivals. If you are screening arrivals, some will be determined to be persona non grata.

I wonder if you will be notified of a denial, and if there is any appeal of that denied status.

Posted by
1288 posts

Canada already requires most EU/Schengen countries' citizens to get one of its ETAs, so it's no surprise that ETIAS will apply to Canadians. Basically it's for all "visa-free" foreigners - and keeping visa waiver schemes, even with this extra check, is certainly better than having to get a visa. Nobody, presumably, wants to go back to the days when you needed a US visa to visit Disneyland.

It's a British government's "plan" to introduce one for most visa waiver travellers to the UK, which would include EU (except RoI?), USA and Canada. But whether that "plan" ever see the light of day is unknown. Britain finally leaves the EU next week, and there's a lot of international negotiations due in 2020 by Britain; so it's quite possible any UK ETA idea will get wrapped up in those.

Posted by
3989 posts

I am also curious what airlines will do. Perhaps they will mechanize something on their respective websites.

Posted by
6 posts

I think this system should be up and running soon. A year in advance is not too early. I also think that filling out this form would be one of the first steps to take if traveling within the Schengen zone in 2021. Why go through all of the trouble booking flight, hotels, etc. only to be denied entry. I would be absolutely devastated. Although this my first post, I have followed this forum for many years. You guys/gals are so helpful, I haven't needed to ask any questions. They have all been answered here, either on the forum or the links you provide. Thank you

Posted by
5252 posts

I am also curious what airlines will do. Perhaps they will mechanize something on their respective websites.

If you don't have an ESTA or Canadian equivalent you will find that you cannot check in online and will be directed to visit a check in desk where, presumably, you will be denied a boarding pass.

Posted by
1323 posts

Who knows what’ll happen with the U.K., but I wonder if they’ll still make it as easy as possible for Americans to visit. I’ve got to think that the U.K. gets a lot more in tourist pounds from Americans than the USA gets dollars from visiting Brits.

Posted by
5252 posts

I’ve got to think that the U.K. gets a lot more in tourist pounds from Americans than the USA gets dollars from visiting Brits.

It's close. According to 2010 figures (I couldn't find anything more recent!) US citizens spent $2.1bn visiting the UK whilst Brits spent £3.47m.

Personally I believe there should be a level playing field. If the US wants to impose an ESTA and associated fees on UK citizens wanting to visit the US then why shouldn't the UK respond accordingly?

Posted by
1323 posts

I think the US should abolish ESTA. and greatly reduce all the hyper paranoid security requirements. I was just talking in one of my sports groups about how relatively easy it is for NFL fans to get a taste of Europe while attending one of the London games. If the average person not only has to get a passport but also do paperwork, I could see them just throwing up their hands and forgetting about the idea.

Posted by
5252 posts

The passport aspect isn't much of an issue, 76% of Brits posess one. It's the ESTA which is a pain. It's a laborious process particularly when applying for a family of four. Each person requires a separate application (and fee) including not just basic personal details but also the addresses of where you're going to stay, a questionnaire regarding medical and criminal history, drug usage etc. By the time I'm on the fourth person I'm at my wits end!

Meanwhile, all a US citizen has to do is fly into the UK and saunter through the e-gates without ever talking to a border agent.

Posted by
12172 posts

To me it's not much of an issue for flying across the pond. Like ESTA, you will enter the information on the airline's website a minimum of a couple days before your flight so you can be cleared ahead of time. ESTA does a quick check on admissibility so a lot fewer people arrive at a U.S. airport only to be sent home on the next flight. For the vast majority of travelers, it doesn't change anything.

My head scratcher is more about sailing to Europe. The Captain is supposed to handle immigration so I'm guessing it will be something you file before starting across the ocean. A cruise ship will look a lot like an airline. I'm looking forward to making the trip on a personal sailboat. I'd hate to arrive and be told to turn around because someone on the boat is inadmissible (especially when you arrive just before hurricane season).

Posted by
1276 posts

If I read the UK government website correctly it’s not only US citizens who will need a visa/electronic visa to enter Europe in 2021, so will U.K. citizens.

Posted by
5252 posts

Like ESTA, you will enter the information on the airline's website a minimum of a couple days before your flight so you can be cleared ahead of time.

ESTA has to be applied through a US Government website not the airline and as there is no guarantee of success I will not buy flights until we have all been cleared for entry. The only positive is that it is valid for three years (currently).

Posted by
6306 posts

If I read the UK government website correctly it’s not only US
citizens who will need a visa/electronic visa to enter Europe in 2021,
so will U.K. citizens.

It will apply to all non EU/EEA/Swiss citizens (what category UK citizens will be in in one year is a good question).

Posted by
9420 posts

This isn’t a Visa. As the article says:

“It isn’t a visa. European Commission and U.S. State Department officials confirmed to the Washington Post that ETIAS is a travel authorization for visa-free visitors, similar to the U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)”

Posted by
1276 posts

Visa or not, you’d be foolish to try get into a country that requires you to hold a valid ETIAS without one!

Posted by
1166 posts

When do you think the website will be taking applications?