Please sign in to post.

Two Weeks in May 2023

Hey all,

New fan of Rick's here after coming across his travel series while planning a trip to Europe in the Spring of 2023 over the last several months. Looking to get some opinions from seasoned travelers because my wife and I are experiencing a lot of difficulty trying to nail down an itinerary for this 15 day (from departure to arrival) vacation.

Our itinerary has gone through a few evolutions over the months and we feel we could keep doing this endlessly. We have it narrowed down to the below based on our interests which include: architecture and history, nature, food, museums and culture. Mainly avoiding large/mega-cities with one exception. We love the more "medieval" feeling areas of Europe, and aren't super interested in crazy night life or the new and modern. Here's where we're at now --

France: The Loire Valley, staying at a place like Amboise or Blois as our "hub" with a few (3-4) days of trips out to the Chateaux in the countryside.
Switzerland: Mainly for it's natural beauty, I've seen a lot of opinions online that Switzerland is THE place for some people whereas others hate it. We're thinking it's the most beautiful place we've ever seen in photographs and are interested in some hiking, and would potentially regret not visiting.
Prague: While not interested in huge cities, Prague seems to be a place most visitors universally love. The history/architecture, city vibe and activities seem like an excellent contrast to the more rugged French and Swiss countrysides.

One potential issue we see with the above itinerary is that each of these are decently far from each other, so we're between taking trains or planes where it makes the most sense. Other than that... how does the above look to anyone else given our length of time and interests? Any other thoughts? We had considered Scotland for a long while, but it's so far out of the way from other interests in central/western Europe we axed it from the initial list. Spain also sounds cool, but we don't know a ton about it. Italy we're hoping to do as it's own trip again in a few years.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
672 posts

Have you ever been to Europe?

Personally, this is too much travelling around for 15 days. Every time you move from one country to another, you'll lose at least one day. I could spend 15 days just in France or Switzerland because there's so much in each country. You couldn't go wrong with any of these, plus there's always Italy, Austria, etc. etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the suggestions here.

Posted by
365 posts

1 depart - 15 fly home means 13 days of actual being in Europe. But depending on flight plans you could also lose a day to repositioning to get where you need to be to fly back home which now is at 12. You won’t likely do much on arrival day (day 2) so now you’re at 11 days. See what I mean?

You could possibly pull off 2 of these, but no not all 3.

Posted by
2311 posts

May is not the ideal time to be in some parts of Switzerland. You may find that since it’s off season, some lifts may not be running and hotels may not be open for the season yet. You may encounter snow on the higher hiking trails. I’ve never read a review where someone hates Switzerland. Complained of how expensive it is -yes. Be forewarned and prepared for that so you won’t be disappointed.

15 days total only gives you 13 real days “on the ground”. Covering 3 countries gives you 3-4 days in each country, plus two travel days in between. Personally, I would limit it to 2 countries with 5-6 days each, plus a travel day. Or stick to one country and visit no more than 3 cities/areas.

Posted by
15582 posts

Your interests: architecture, history, nature, food, museums and culture (I never know exactly what people mean by "culture"). Just about every large city has interesting architecture, some much more than others. I haven't been to the Loire Valley but French chateaux I've visited in other parts of the country are interesting. I say don't concentrate on them unless you are particularly interested in chateaux. More interesting are the various styles of monasteries and churches in Portugal, for example. Rural France is much easier by car. Are you planning to rent a car there?

History and museums and good food are plentiful in most European cities. For natural beauty, stay in North America. The Canadian Rockies and Alaska both have much more beautiful scenery than Switzerland. BTW I wouldn't call Switzerland or central France rugged, perhaps quieter. In the Rockies, you'll see wild animals. In Switzerland you'll see cows.

Just getting to rural France and Swiss Alps may eat up a lot of travel time. I would suggest sticking to places you can easily connect by rail. The historic centers of large European cities often have the ambience you may be looking for.

Posted by
17908 posts

"France" (country) + "Switzerland" (country) + "Prague" (city)?

Yup, you have a lot of work left to do. Getting around, destination points, nights, etc..... long way to go.
One idea is to look for tours of those areas that interest you, then copy their itinerary.

Looking for medieval? Its there, but scattered except Prague where you will find about 150 acres (for comparison, DisneyLand is 500 acres). Of course Prague comes with something you dont want ... Party Night Life ..... and its good.