Please sign in to post.

Two weeks in Europe - starting in Vienna

My wife and I will be visiting our daughter in February. She will be on a month long break from school then. We plan to spend 4 days in Vienna, but are pondering where else to go. Would it make sense to travel to Bratislava - Budapest - Krakow - and return to Vienna, with or without a side trip in Brno? Or Bratislava - Budapest - Ljubljana - return? Or even to stretch over to western Austria & Switzerland? My daughter will be studying in Leipzig next year, so I would take in Prague & Berlin then. Any help would be appreciated, including Pension recommendations, etc. Thanks

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

I suggest Brno, very interesting province capital. The studying in Leipzig...where, subject, at which institution?

Posted by
14580 posts

Thanks...very interesting. Leipzig is cultural city.

Posted by
7688 posts

Budapest is east to get to from Vienna and a wonderful place to visit. I have been to Ljubljana (just passed through) and didn't think it was worth a stop. Of course, this was in 1990 when Yugoslavia still existed. It may have improved since then.

Krakow is great, but that is getting a bit far from Vienna. I haven't been to Bratislava, but my Son has and he said it was OK, but nothing fantastic. Prague is definitely worth a visit.

Have you been to Salzburg or Munich?

Posted by
27211 posts

I've only visited Europe between mid-May and mid-October, so I obviously can't comment on what it's like in mid-winter (other than "cold" in the area you're contemplating), but I enjoyed my stay in Ljubljana last year. In addition to the historic center there's interesting art deco architecture and some worthwhile museums. The old town, with a river running through it, is very lively in warmer weather.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

Since you're in that area, I recommend seeing Halle an der Saale, Dresden , Weimar, Meissen. and Görlitz if you're are into German cultural history....all worthy of your time and expense.

Posted by
64 posts

We have been to Salzburg and Munich, and since my daughter will be in Leipzip next year, I want to defer Prague and Dresden until next year. Along with Berlin.

Posted by
7175 posts

Bratislava > Budapest > Kraków > Brno
... is a route that offers appeal.

Ljubljana > Zadar > Split > Dubrovnik
... before return flights to Vienna would be another consideration for me.

Posted by
5407 posts

I live in Vienna and this is not an area of Europe I would choose to visit in February, unless you want to ski. Too cold, dreary and grey. Nothing exciting happening. You'll want to be inside the whole time.

If I were you, I'd fly as far south as I could - maybe Andalucia or Malta.

Posted by
64 posts

Unfortunately, that is the only large break my daughter has to spend with us. I guess museums and areas that are crowded with tourists at peak season will be where we go.

Posted by
18090 posts