Please sign in to post.

Two week trip in to europe

Hi everyone. We have booked the Eurotunnel crossing for end of July as we want to drive and site see Europe for couple weeks but there's so many nice places to choice from. There's two adults and a 7year old child we are packing minimal camping equipment in the car and just going. We fancy seeing Switzerland but been told can be cold please please anyone got any advice to where's best to head for. It's our first time on a road trip and usually beach holiday abroad.many thanks Colin

Posted by
3941 posts

I don't know that Switzerland would be cold in July unless you go to the extreme top of the Matterhorn or something. We were there in early Oct 2010 and sitting in Murren in my t-shirt enjoying the sun on my face and bike riding. We did a hike down a (granted) low mtn and I wish I'd had sandals on as my feet were so hot. I had packed some light long underwear on that trip as I thought I'd need them in early Oct in Switzerland - nothing was further from the truth!

Posted by
7688 posts

Cold in July in Switzerland would be at high altitudes.

Still, Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe. Never camped in Europe, but one of my favorite places in that country is Interlakken. It is roughly in the center of the country with a beautiful lake, surrounded by mountains.

Posted by
1825 posts

Camping and a child ....I'd consider the Dordogne in France. Amazing history and natural beauty with lots of kid friendly things to see and do. I saw numerous small camping trailers and people with camping gear.You can rent canoes on the river which is like a day at the beach. From there I'd head to Provence and especially the Pont du Gard, another river the locals treat like a beach. A stop at Carcassone would also be fun for a 7 year old. You could make the entire trip in France so as to not have rental car issues and include Nice, Burgundy and the Loire.

Posted by
451 posts

I have been to Murren in July and had a storm sit on us for two days with rain and high temps in 50s. We still hiked and it our daughters first real hike and it was her most memorable moment from the trip! We were told our weather was very unusual. Weather in the mountains can change in the blink of the eye. Just be prepared for each. You can head to Trummelbach falls just outside of Lauterbrunnen.

Posted by
96 posts

Hi
I did a cycle camping tour of Switzerland several years ago in July with a summer-rated sleeping bag and never had an issue with cold. The Swiss campgrounds are very good.