Please sign in to post.

Two Months to see parts of Spain, France and Italy

We are arriving in Madrid April 1st. Our idea is to take trains to major hubs and rent cars for side trips as we go. We board Oceania cruise from Venice back to Barcelona the last 10 days before leaving Madrid for home. Neither of us want to rush around and I broke my ankle in Dec. so am recovering. We are more eager to absorb the culture as we go and take our time. We don't expect to see every country in depth. Is our plan realistic? What kind of weather can we expect? What about the train/car combo? Rail pass? Looking forward to all responses.

Posted by
48 posts

Two months? Good for you! In that space of time, you should be feeling like real Europeans. Each of those countries have much to offer, so your plan to visit them leisurely is smart. Poke around as Rick does; eat and drink the local foods; talk to people. Most young people can speak English. Sad that Americans are not equally bilingual. We are not cruise people, preferring to mingle with the locals instead and have never changed our minds. Make time for the really important BIG sites: the Louvre, the Vatican, the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona. You will never forget them. Do not eat at any restaurant that posts photos of their food in the window.
Have a great time. And is your plan realistic? You bet it is. Finally, check out the weather channel's data for those countries. It is easy to find. Have fun! Bon Voyage!

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, with nearly two months to travel from Madrid to Venice, you have time for many stops along the way. For travel along the Mediterranean coast of France and into Italy (such as Cinque Terre), trains work well, serving many stops, though they're not the fastest class of train. How to Look Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.

If you want to spend more time in inland France, such as Dordogne, Albi, and Provence, then I would rent a car for a good chunk of that time in France. If you head north by train from Madrid to visit San Sebastian, then you could pick up a regular rental car across the French border, at the border town of Hendaye.

For 21 days or more, France sponsors an option to "lease" a car through either Renault or Peugeot. While it's always cheaper to pick up and drop a car in one county, the charge to drop one of these leased cars in Italy is not bad; I see that Peugeot offers leasing pick up or drop off reservations at the airports at Madrid and Milan, as well as Toulouse and other French cities.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both so very much. It is reassuring to hear from experienced travelers.