Please sign in to post.

TSA Precheck

Worth it for infrequent fliers? When my daughter and I got selected for the fast line in Ft Myers, FL last year, we didn't know what the deal was. Now we're going to Europe.
I don't want to spend $80 each if I don't have to.

Posted by
1819 posts

Well you certainly don't have to. It saves you time and inconvenience at security checkpoints in the USA. If you're an infrequent traveler, it's probably not worthwhile.

Posted by
11367 posts

If you travel out of the US, get Global Entry, $100. For five years. It includes TSA PreChevk for US domestic flights. Global Entry will allow you to pass through US immigration very quickly. You need to be interviewed and finger printed most likely available at your airport.

Posted by
2531 posts

"You need to be interviewed and finger printed most likely available at your airport." Or for us in locations say 500+ miles away from airports where interviews take place then attempt to schedule the interview while passing through such airports. Note: while many residents of fly-over states don't have major airports, we somehow adjust and travel like our comrades near JFK, etc.

Posted by
3521 posts

If you fly infrequently, say once or twice a year, it probably is not worth the time and effort required to get TSA Pre.

TSA Pre can save you lots of time at the airport when you are traveling within the US or on flights departing from the US. It does absolutely nothing for you on your returns to the US. I find it very helpful, but then I take a flight at least once a week within the US.

Posted by
2788 posts

I got the PreCheck since I fly in the US some each year. I also go to Europe every year and regret I did not spend $20 more and get the Global Entry card.

Posted by
7695 posts

I generally get TSA Precheck when flying Delta for no cost...combination of my employer, frequent flyer status, and age...and traveled to Europe 3 times last year. If given the option, I would not pay additional for the privilege. I do fly out of a medium size airport, so the difference between Precheck and regular means I do not have to take off my shoes, and Precheck gets you nothing coming back except at security if transferring to another flight. Global Entry, much the same, if you are at an airport that has the kiosks for everyone, things move quickly.

I guess my observation is that it may save you a few minutes, but not worth paying $$$ for.

Posted by
10328 posts

Same as Paul, no pre-check or Global Entry though I fly domestically and internationally several times a year. Due to age, medium-size airport, and​ using the same two airlines, I get pre-check nine times out of ten and use Mobile Passport re-entering the US.

Posted by
2768 posts

I have Nexus which is a great option for those of us living near the Canadian/US border. Gets you global entry, pre-check and the fast lane when crossing the Canadian border in either direction AND its only $50, kids free. You do have to do an interview and fingerprints at an office on the border.

Posted by
2916 posts

Mira, I looked into Nexus because we visit family in Canada fairly often. It's a good deal, but we'd have to arrange for the interview at a location in Canada or a long distance from us in Maine. Plus, I noticed that one of the borders we crossed several times had no dedicated Nexus lane (only one lane, period, but it's always been short), and the other, where we had to wait for about 1/2 hour, only had a dedicated Nexus lane at rush hour.