Please sign in to post.

TSA Locks

I was thinking of using the TSA approved locks for my luggage on my trip to Europe. I have known people who have had things stolen from their luggage by the baggage handlers, and I thought if I used the locks it would be a good deterrant. Does anyone have any advice?

Ideally, we will not check any luggage, but I wanted some opinions in case we do need to check a bag. Thanks.

Posted by
2023 posts

Here is an example of what can be stolen by TSA people. We took a trip to Brugge and Paris traveling by train only. Before the trip DH bought one of those cable/wire type locks for securing luggage on the trains. When we were packing up for the Paris leg of the trip we discovered TSA had removed it from my luggage. It was pre-set to match the code on my lock that I use on luggage left in hotel rooms so it was a completely useless item for the TSA thief--it was a $20 lock. This may not be the sort of lock you are interested in but they do get into luggage. They are supposed to leave a note if they inspect--we got those in luggage last trip to the UK--the suspicious item: an apple.However, nothing was missing.

Posted by
23245 posts

The TSA locks are only useful in the US because that is the only place that we have TSA. If European inspector wanted in he would just break it. What we have good luck with is the heavy duty, nylon cable ties. They are a one time use but you can buy a hundred for ten buck at the hardware store. When checking any bags we always secure all of the zippers with the tie. Once have we had our bags inspected. Our tie were cut off, inspected, note left and the bags were resecured with an orange colored cable tie. We have never had a problem with theft. BUT besure to carry something that will cut the cable tie -- I use a large toenail clipper carriend in small zippered, unsecured pocket on the outside of the checked bag.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have used TSA locks for several years now and never encountered a problem. At O'Hare terminal 5 (international) they do the TSA check in the lobby, so you can watch them. When we were in China, the Chinese airlines insisted that everything be locked. On my most recent trip (Spain), my bag was locked when I turned it in, and locked when I got it back, undisturbed. The wire ties are a good idea, too.

Posted by
32200 posts

Beth,

a few comments on TSA Locks and securing luggage.

As you'll need to secure your luggage when leaving the U.S., it would be a good idea to use TSA Locks, in case the baggage screeners decide to check your bags. Some models of TSA Locks are equipped with a small "flag" that indicates if the Lock was opened using the special TSA tool (that way you know).

Although the TSA only exists in the U.S., I think it's likley that European airports will also have the ability to open the Locks without cutting them off. Baggage screening & airport security are "global", so it wouldn't make sense that only U.S. authorities could open them.

Using nylon Cable Ties is certainly a practical suggestion. You could also use the numbered "one use" luggage tags, which are available in Rick's travel store (as they're numbered, these provide indication the bag was opened). I believe Magellans has these also.

Given the recent experience of the Australian girl, I always lock my Pack!

Posted by
805 posts

My TSA lock was cut off when I got to Rome, but nothing was stolen, so it must have been a security search. I think the cable ties idea is great. Something else you see a lot in Europe is that people wrap their bags in colored plastic so it's easy to see if it was tampered with.

Posted by
1455 posts

Just like David, my mom's TSA lock was taken off in Milan. Nothing was taken and also no note. If you do not plan on checking in, I would still use a TSA lock for the hotel. Make sure its a "name brand". My friend bought one at a Japanese discount store, and in France guess who's lock didn't work when she was searched?? LOL!! She begged the TSA agent to hack it off. Since she couldn't open it herself, the TSA didn't seem to care, and waved her through. We lugged the pack with the broken lock back to the States, and smashed it to death at home.

Posted by
16 posts

I've been using TSA locks since they came out. I have the kind that "flags" if it's been opened. Last year I flew BWI to Detroit and back a lot and had it "opened" twice coming back from Detroit. Both times I had a sticker and a note. This year we went to France and I used the locks on both of our checked pieces (even took them along incase we had to check the carryons as well). We had no problems at all. Nothing cut off or opened and we had 5 bottles of wine in one of the suitcases. Bottom line is just never put anything valuable in checkin luggage. Since there are carryon restrictions for some airlines be prepared to check it and keep valuables with you.

Posted by
11 posts

Just gave my g/f my two TSA locks for her and her familys' trip to Germany. Not only were both locks missing but so was the zipper pulls on both suitcases that had my TSA locks! I was expecting the possibility of having the locks removed on the return trip to the US but this was from Newark, NJ to Frankfurt, DE.

Posted by
8938 posts

David, David, David! Please do not pull up multiple 2-4 year old posts to tell us about your TSA locks. You have posted it once, so you do not have to post the exact same thing 5 old posts in a row. Edit: THIS THREAD WAS WRITTEN IN 2007. David has now posted the same exact post on 7 different threads now. All of them very old.

Posted by
1883 posts

I always lock all my luggage with TSA locks. We travel with a bike, so that case is always locked, and always opened by TSA here in the US (the little white letter is always in our case when we arrive at our destination) I just like the security of having my luggage locked. I like to use the locks at my hotels - I feel more secure when I'm out all day that my stuff in the room is secured. Bought a few locks at Target, and they worked great. I like the ones with keys much better than the combo locks. Had one combo lock get reset, and we had to get the hotel to cut the lock off for us! Add to that that my eyes aren't good, and I need glasses to see the combo...the keys are much easier. (I keep one key in my shoulder bag and an extra key in the money belt) Keyed TSA approved locks are not expensive, and for peace of mind totally worth it.

Posted by
253 posts

I have had my luggage destroyed twice by TSA, both times at the Houston airport. Apparently, they do not understand the concept of a TSA lock there. Instead of opening them, they have ripped my zipper apart, torn the handle off of my suitcase and broken the zipper itself. Once, the contents of my suitcase fell out on the conveyor belt as it came down the chute. I never put anything of real value in my suitcase, but they still took things anyway. Otherwise, I have not had any significant problems.

Posted by
43 posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm interested in knowing what people currently think about this issue, i.e., use the TSA locks on the luggage when leaving the US or no? How about for the return trip?
Thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

It would be best if you posted this as a new question so that you will be notified when/if there are answers. As for me, I'm going with nylon wire ties on my trip this week. We'll see.

Posted by
23245 posts

Nothing has changed in five years.

Posted by
43 posts

@ Nancy. Thanks. Somehow the computer in my office e mails me everything everyone posts one the helpline. As you can imagine, I tend to take a lot of short breaks at work :-)