Please sign in to post.

Trips from Berlin - Denmark? Norway? Croatia?

Hello - We are starting a Viking Cruise in Berlin. We have 4 days available to sightsee before the trip. Any suggestions? Denmark? Norway? Croatia? How do you get from the country you suggest to Berlin? Train or plane? I wanted to go to the Italian Alps, but it does not look easy to get to Berlin.
We have been to a lot of cities in Germany (but not Frankfurt), Switzerland, Italy, Austria, and Amsterdam. Thank you for your suggestions! Traveling this May.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/PGGZtdT.jpg[/img]
Thank
Cristiano

Posted by
7667 posts

Denmark, Norway and Croatia are great places, but all somewhat distant from Berlin. Flying would be your choice. I suggest that you do those places on another trip. By the way Denmark and Norway are expensive, especially Norway.

Four days would call for not traveling far from Berlin. I would not recommend Frankfurt, unless you visit the German Rhineland, which has some great choices. Not sure what cities you are doing on your cruise. If you don't do Prague, you should consider that wonderful city. Does your cruise include Dresden? Poland is a great trip, but you need more time for the country.

Posted by
343 posts

I vote for Prague. It's a 4 hour train ride from Berlin, and such a beautiful city.

Posted by
16893 posts

Is this a river cruise to Dresden and Prague? (At first, I thought you meant a sea cruise.) If you have been to Berlin before, have you been to Leipzig or the area that Rick calls Lutherland?

Direct trains between Berlin and Poznan, Poland take under 3 hours each way, about 4 per day. There's also a direct train from Berlin to Gdansk that takes under 6 hours, usually departing in the afternoon from Berlin and early morning from Gdansk, but schedules not yet published past the first week of June.

Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the Deutsche Bahn train schedule link and tips for using it.

Posted by
19 posts

Since the number of days is short, explore Berlin to its fullest. But if you really want to go outside Germany, check out Prague or Warsaw, they are quite beautiful and are close by. Poland is closest but there are not so many sights there. Denmark and Norway on the other hand are sorta far and Norway is expensive and it won't be advisable to start spending so much before your actual trip. Concerning transport, the public transit system and train service in Germany is really good and effective, and their flight prices are reasonable as well so, there may not be a need for rental cars.