Please sign in to post.

Trip to Romania in May 2020

Good day to you,
Hello my name is Danielle and I am from The Netherlands. 

My Daughter Danja (24) and me (43) are going to plan a trip to Romania in May 2020. We really want to enjoy the beautiful nature of Romania and want to avoid the big cities. We want to taste and enjoy the Romanian life style and want to learn about the country.

We start our journey on May the 3rd in Sibiu ( date can change a few days later). From there we got to Brasov, Singhisoara, Turda, Hunedoara and back to Sibiu and planned to stay close to the town for 2 days to look around. I think the best thing to do is rent a car, or are there better options?
This is really new to us, we haven't done this befo
We would like to stay a few days at a family and help on a farm. Also we want to make hike trips to nature.

We have found a great farm in Singhisoara where we can stay from May 7th to 9th and we are looking for more great places. I think we make a stop in Viscri when we move to Singhisoara.

Is wildlife a bit active in May? Are the bears out of hibernation?

Hopefully you can provide me with info and hints for things to do or places to stay.
Thanks in advance!
Dani and Danja

Posted by
6920 posts

Regarding the roads, highway construction has made some progress - there will be a few stretches of motorway on your route - but most of the network remain slow, two-lane roads with some aggressive overtaking.

Posted by
27215 posts

I traveled through Romania in 2015 by public transportation. It's a beautiful, fascinating country, but I figured I covered about 30 mph (50 kph). You may do a bit better with your own car, but you won't be moving rapidly from place to place.

The Retro Hostel in Cluj-Napoca (a town with a very pretty historic district) offers a lot of small-group tours around the country. They generally seem to operate on demand rather than on a fixed schedule. But you could look at the website to see whether anything looks interesting to you. You can take one of their tours without staying at the hostel. I took the 2-day tour to Maramures, which I loved. It's a very, very interesting area, still quite traditional. The small wooden churches are stunning, some of the houses have carved wooden gateways, and the Merry Cemetery is included as well.

You might enjoy a break from doing your own driving and navigating, and the Maramures trip is something I can wholeheartedly recommend. They may use different guesthouses at different times, but the food at ours was wonderful; virtually everything was grown/raised by the guesthouse owners. We paid separately for our accommodations (bath down the hall) and meals. The 2015 cost was about 20 or 25 euros for one night and three meals. Unbelievable. The tour itself was about 100 euros. It began at 8 or 8:30 AM on Day 1 and ended about 6 PM on Day 2. There were just a few of us is a comfortable passenger car. The guide's regular job was as a history teacher and his English was very good.

Posted by
16 posts

The best way to get around is to rent a car. You can find more farms around Sighisoara-Sibiu area but not only there.
The wildlife is active in May, the bears are out of hibernation, so please contact a local tour guide or travel agent specialized on wildlife, to show you the bears.
If have time enough (4-6 days), leave Southern Transylvania for the great North: Maramures and Bucovina.