Please sign in to post.

Trip to Paris Feb. 2011

Hi i am 15 years old and my parents gave me the option of going to Europe for my 16th birthday which lands in Feb during the week of valentines. I was leaning towards Paris but i wanted to know if that was a good time to visit. I live in new England so the cold weather isnt a problem can you guys give me some info or give me some ideas instead of paris to visit thanks...

Posted by
525 posts

This will largely depend on your interests. Are you most interested in Art? History? Food? Language? Music? Nightlife? Shopping? Hiking/Biking/Sports? Sporting events? The list is endless...

One thing though...are you taking any language classes? If so, you REALLY might enjoy trying to utlitize the language that you have learned if you have taken any Spanish, French, German etc etc....

Posted by
9422 posts

Paris has something for every one. You will love it there. My son is 20 and has been going to Paris since he was 11. He can never get enough of Paris.

I'd recommend going to a bookstore and looking through some travel guides. Find one you like and take it home and read it. Or, you could get one from the library.

Also, maybe you could get some dvds at your library as well.

Posted by
10256 posts

It depends on what your interests are, but I will tell you that I took my 20-year-old daughter to Paris and she fell in love with it. We were there for 11 days over New Years. She badly wants to go back! Paris does have something for everybody in my opinion. One drawback will be the weather. I understand you are used to the cold, which will be to your advantage. It just isn't as nice for things like sitting at a park or sidewalk cafe.

You are very lucky to have parents who want to do something so special for you. Wherever you go, I hope you have a great time.

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you guys so much I am also very grateful for having you guys to give me the last minutes information that I need before going to Paris. Andrea you said that the weather was a little ill did it rain a lot can i still go up the Eiffel tower and things like that. Last thing what type of things did you buy to remember you that you went to Paris.

Posted by
10256 posts

We actually only had one day of rain, and it didn't last all day and was not a downpour. We also had some snow. The day it snowed it felt warmer than the other days. Nothing to keep us from doing what we wanted to do. It was was just VERY cold. I'm sure it felt colder to me, being from California, than it would be for you. I assume you live in Rhode Island?

As far as the Eiffel Tower goes, we were only able to go to the first level due to the freezing temperatures. You can still get a nice view from that level, though I wouldn't do it on a day that is not clear. Considering the time of year I would hesitate to buy tickets in advance.

There are plenty of things to do when it rains. I doubt sitting under an awning watching the people go by is something most 16 year olds are interested in, but there are many other indoor choices.

Posted by
15601 posts

A poster from a museum might be nice - hang it in your room. They usually give you a tube (or sell you one for a small price). If it doesn't fit in your luggage, you can take probably it as carryon.

The dark chocolates in Paris are the BEST. If your parents like chocolate, you might go into a chocolatierie and get some to bring home. They will probably have specialties for St. Valentine's.

Posted by
10256 posts

James, maybe you're onto something. Susan and I don't live too far from each other. Our kids can hook up and move to Paris. Then we will have a free place to stay when we visit. Genius!! My daughter was 20 when we took her, but she is now 22. No big deal though...what's a couple of years!

Now I will need to break the news to her so she can break up with the boyfriend she has had for 4 1/2 years. I'm sure she won't mind. What do you think Susan?

Posted by
40 posts

@ Andrea

Its gorgeous was it good to walk like in the night because we have a show to go to a cabaret and it will finish at 11 pm. were there people in the area out. and its really nice the only bad thing is that the hotel package includes the following round trip airfare. hotel for 7 nights, breakfast every morning, transportation airport to hotel and vice versa and also like three excursions like metro cards. cabaret show with dinner on the Eiffel tower and cruise on the seine and the price comes to be $1,300.00 per person. so if we do this one the airfare and apartment alone is 1,160 and we still have to add the other features on. Even though it would be nice to have a bid apartment to our selfs and cook tell me what you think. and yes its three traveling also.

Posted by
10256 posts

Rafael, it sounds like you got a very good deal on the trip you booked. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. I don't know where the cabaret show you are going to is located, but just be aware of your surroundings when you are out - day and night - and you should be fine. Violent crime in Europe is rare. What you really have to look out for are pickpockets and scammers. You can read about those things on this website. Since you will be there in the winter time you can put your wallet, etc. inside your coat and you won't have a problem, or you can do what many people here do and wear a money belt of some sort. There is a post right now about money belts, so you should read what people say. If you are not very careful the skillful pickpockets will take your wallet and you will never feel it. It happened to me on the train in Paris. The more crowded the situation, the more aware you have to be.

I recommend you get the Rick Steves Paris guidebook. It will tell you everything you want to know.

Posted by
40 posts

okay thanks Andrea I really appreciate it i will let you what things come out to be. And just hope you can send those pictures when you have time thanks so much.

Posted by
40 posts

Has anyone taken a train within France we wanted to take a ride down to southern France for a day anyone know any website for the fares or give me some of there experiences with the service.

Posted by
9422 posts

Hi Andrea, That IS a genius idea! We do live conveniently close and my son will be going to UC Davis in Sept! But like your daughter, my son has a girlfriend and they're still really happy together after 2 1/2 yrs.

I can work on that though... :)