Please sign in to post.

Trip to England, Scotland and Ireland

My daughter and I are meeting my son in London in the Fall. We're planning on going to Warner Brother's Studio tour one of the first few days and no other plans. My daughter wants to see Buckingham palace so I thought we'd do a hop on hop off bus tour of the city and maybe a boat ride on the river. No other plans for London at this time. I'm thinking of staying the night before, close to Warner Bros. so we don't have issues trying to travel the day of the tour, especially since they are at specific times. That's if we can even get tickets.

We're then taking a train to Edinburgh, staying two or three days seeing the city. Flying to Dublin, staying a couple of days. Taking the train to Galway. Staying in Galway a couple of days and then flying back to London. Not sure if we will spend the last couple days in London or go visit my son's little town, which is a couple hours away.

I have traveled some in Europe and lived in Germany years ago but have always gone on trips with a car or bus tour company. My son will have his car but doesn't want to drive. Do our travel plans sound like the best way to get to those cities? We will have about 16 days, which includes flying to and from the U.S.

My original plan was just to go to Scotland, rent a car and spend all our time there. My kids, though, want to see a lot more, even if it means only getting a couple days in each place. My son is leaving England at the end of the year so I don't mind going to all the places he wants to see. I can always go back to Scotland another time.

Would appreciate any moderately priced hotel ideas too, near train stations perferably. Also, how hard is it to get a Covid test for the flight home?

Posted by
4911 posts

I can't really answer any of your other questions, but:

Regarding the Warner Bros. Studio Tour- with so few days in London, and the ease of getting out to Watford, it doesn't make much sense to move out there just for one night. The Watford trains leave from Euston station, and they are numerous and frequent. Then you just take the bus from Watford to the studios. It's very easy and stress free. Book your studio Tour tickets soon. I believe the Edinburgh trains leave from Kings Cross, which is only a few blocks from Euston station. The logical choice would be to stay at a hotel close to both of these.

There are 3 Premier Inn hotels in that area, the St Pancras Premier Inn being the most central. Bonus- the Picadilly line takes you from Heathrow all the way to Kings Cross, and it's very easy to get around the city on the tube system from there.

Posted by
115 posts

Is the Warner Brothers studio tour for Harry Potter? I am sure there are other options, but my daughter and I used this service:
https://www.goldentours.com/warner-bros-harry-potter-studio-tour-london?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyMiTBhDKARIsAAJ-9VtOoH7dJG7J3QNwfmjQ_JW0Mqr1LY2nV3mj6wHmg5-MHfmUuiKBHjoaAul0EALw_wcB

I was happy with it, there was plenty of time for the tour, they played Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on the bus. When we went, it was around Easter, and everything was booked solid, but I managed to find an opening with Golden Tours.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you. I booked the tour through the Warner Bros. site yesterday. We will just leave early and take the train.