Please sign in to post.

Trip Report

I used advice from many of you when I was planning this trip, appreciated the input and would like to report an itinerary that worked well.

*Flew into Berlin (5 nights at Pension Peters)
*Train to Prague (3 nights at Guesthouse Lida) with 4 hour stopover in Dresden
*Easyjet to Milan (1 night at Hotel Charly)
*Train to Verona (3 nights at Hotel Trocolo)
*Train to Varenna (3 nights at Villa Elena)
*Train to Milan (1 night at Best Hotel)
This was our first trip to Berlin and we found it to be less expensive. There was lots to do and it was easy to get around with their great transportation system. Prague was extra crowded, Milan intense and Varenna and Verona lovely. Our most expensive hotel was in Verona (90 Euro) least expensive Varenna (45 Euro). This plan was a great combination of city and smaller town experience and an itinerary that allowed us time to settle in at each location. Thanks again for your input! Sharon

Posted by
908 posts

They are indeed useful. I wonder there isn't a dedicated Trip Report thread.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Ron,
Verona was a surprise--there's so much more there than just Romeo and Juliet--it was a great place to hang out for three days!

About Varenna--I think that you're confusing it with Ravenna (they sound alike!). Varenna where we stayed, is on Lake Como. There is plenty to do to fill three days--we hiked to the castle and also to Fiumelatte, took Chef Moreno's cooking class that Rick recommended (even my husband enjoyed learning how to make fresh pasta), bought a day pass for the lake and took the ferry to Bellagio and Menaggio. It's absolutely beautiful and at this time of year there was snow on the mountains surrounding the lake. I highly recommend it!

Posted by
32212 posts

Sharon,

Thanks for the update! I'm heading for Verona in a few weeks, and it's great to know that you enjoyed your stay there. I was kind of wondering whether there were any attractions in Verona aside from "Romeo & Juliet".

I've been to Varenna and it's I had a great time there (can hardly wait to return!). I also hiked to the Fiumelatte, but unfortunately there wasn't much water the day I was there. During the hike I wondered I thought I might have got onto the wrong trail, as there didn't seem to be anything up there. However, when I reached the small picnic site it all became clear!

Cheers!

Posted by
1717 posts

Sharon, yes I was thinking of Ravenna. I deleted my reply.

Posted by
3250 posts

Ken,
We bought the 3-day Verona Card which covered bus transportation and entrance to all the recommended Verona sites. We enjoyed Rick's "Self-Guided Walk"--especially Enoteca Oreste--the funky wine and grappa bar that Rick describes. We had a great time there!

For dinner we especially liked Osteria le Vecete and had wine at Enoteca Can Grande--it was very nice but would have been a bit of a splurge for dinner. You'll have a great time--I was glad that we stayed in the city center near the arena.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Sharon,

How can I find information on Chef Moreno's cooking class? I have s few of Rick's books but nowhere can I find anyting about the class. Thanks!

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Megan,
The info is on pg. 213 of Rick's 2008 Italy book (the Varenna section of Lake Como.) The class was so much fun. Chef Moreno picked us up on the town square at 10:00 a.m. in Varenna and drove us up the mountain to his restaurant. We learned how to make homemade fresh pasta. He served great appetizers, wine, and then we ate our creations and then he drove us back to town--we were there until nearly 3:30 p.m. The cost was well worth the 32 Euro. I've attached a link to his restaurant website--the classes are on Tuesday and Thursday.

Cooking Class at Caminetto in Gitta