Please sign in to post.

Trip planning for 2019

We are a retired couple both in early 70s and in good health and energetic. We are looking at long term plans to visit France and Italy in 2019. What we would like to know is what is the best time to go to avoid crowds and take advantage of nice weather. We are thinking that the best times would be spring (April, May) or fall (September, October). What is the concensus on this timing?

We would really like to just find some smaller towns with open markets, shops, streets to wander, and local ambience. We are not into late night events, but prefer historic and cultural events and sites. We are also very nature oriented and enjoy hiking and exploring natural areas. Does anyone have any suggestions on towns or provinces to visit? We do plan on spending a few days in Paris. Who can go to France and not visit Paris. We plan on alloting five or six weeks to visit both France and Italy. We are open to public transportation and/or renting a car. We plan on staying in VRBO locations for a week at a time and exploring that area. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2030 posts

I would go in October and November. Do France first. If this is your first time in both countries, there is so much information you need, it can't all be given here. I recommend you get hold of Rick Steves guidebooks for Italy, France, and the major cities there in. You can get them at the library. You have a lot of time to research & come up with ideas of where you want to go. Come back to the helpline to ask more specific questions, and you will get lots of helpful responses, I'm sure.

Posted by
4132 posts

I would go in the spring and start in Italy. There will be more daylight that way, and if you work your way north slowly you wlll be following the spring weather.

But the fall is very nice too.

Posted by
2466 posts

It's too soon to be booking flights, trains, and hotels. But you can do a lot of research In the meantime.
In Paris, the owner will have to post a registration number which is tied to his tax information on his website.
Agencies like VRBO or AirBnB will have to post the number as well, or the apartment is illegal in Paris.
Read up on transportation options in Paris on this website: ratp.fr - then switch to English.
You won't need a car in Paris.
You could take a train to Italy, from Paris, but would have to narrow down the cities you hope to visit in Italy - then rent a car.

Posted by
2466 posts

Late September would be my choice in both countries.
Spring weather is very unpredictable.
September and October are more dependable - plus you might get to see the grapes being harvested.

Posted by
631 posts

I'd agree with chexbres, european daylight saving changes run from last Sunday in March until last Sunday in October so stay within that range or it will go dark earlier.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you for all the good information. Looks like late September and early October would be best. I will get some books and do more research and get more specific as I learn more.

Posted by
15601 posts

September is no longer shoulder season, it is high season and usually hot in most of Italy. My only trip other than winter was mid-October in Italy and I was happy to have had AC in my rooms. I prefer spring to fall, longer days even though there's more chance for rain. I'd start in Italy, before it gets too hot, then go on to France.

You will have more flexibility with a car to visit small towns and villages, especially in France. A car can be more of a liability in Italy since in most towns the historic center is a no-driving zone (carefully monitored by cameras and fines are huge), except for cars with permits. This means finding parking some distance away, or if you are staying in the center, getting a place with parking and arranging in advance for a temporary permit. However, you may find that it is more economical to lease a car for a month or more, and be able to pick it up in one country and drop it in the other without paying a big drop-off fee.

As for where to visit, you need to do your own research first. You have lots of time. Go to your public library and get some guide books with lots of color photos and videos. Even if they are several years old, you'll still get a good idea of different areas of these countries. They don't change much. Once you have some basic ideas, we can help you build an itinerary.

It's hard to go more than a few miles in either country without stumbling on charming towns and villages with buildings that are 300-400 years old, churches that are even older, Roman ruins in Italy, chateaux in France and lots of unexpected gems, and scenic vistas everywhere.

Posted by
14580 posts

I go over during the day light saving period, the earliest once was late April, mostly by mid-May recently, not June/July. In the past it was arriving in June or July, at the height of summer, and staying until mid to late August, regardless of the crowds, the beaming heat, etc. which can be stifling and oppressive. Day light hours are much more preferable. If you want to maximize your chances of having good temperature and weather, then I would suggest Sept.

I have never been in France in Sept. Get out from Paris (I know, it's an impossibility) and see the smaller towns, east, north, south of Paris...Soissons, Amiens, Compiegne, Troyes, Reims, Meaux, Beauvais, Chateau-Thierry, Saumur, Fontainebleau,

Posted by
172 posts

We do most of our travel in Sep/Oct and we are convinced that is the best time to go.
We have been to France and Italy a few times all in this timeframe. We must be pretty lucky because we have never been disappointed with the weather. You can see my pics of those trips at my personal blog. Depending on the trip we have taken public transportation rented a car, or both. For example; we flew into Venice then took a train to Florence. When we were done in Florence we picked up a car and took the slow road to Rome and dropped at AP, before heading into town. Did somewhat of the same in France a couple of times. Think you would love the Luberon (Lourmarin, Buoux, Bonnieux, La Coste, Pont Julien Bridge, Roussillon, Joucas, and Saignon), and you would need a car to see those right. Here are some links to our trips to France/Italy. Feel free to reach out to me at: [email protected].
Best Regards,
Mark
http://www.gadtravel.com/2009/11/southern-france.html
http://www.gadtravel.com/2013/06/nothern-italy-october-2012.html
http://www.gadtravel.com/2008/07/venice-rome.html
http://www.gadtravel.com/2015/08/normandy-mt-st-michele-ambroise.html
http://www.gadtravel.com/2008/07/palermo-naples.html
http://www.gadtravel.com/2008/07/venice-rome.html

Posted by
2030 posts

I appreciate daylight savings time of course, but it's not always a necessary consideration. I have to live during standard time at home, and it's more wonderful in Paris!