Please sign in to post.

Trip planning ?

I'm traveling to Europe for two weeks in March/April and flying in and out of Amsterdam. I'm definitely planning to spend 5 nights in Amsterdam then fly to Barcelona for 5 nights, but I'm really interested in seeing Bruges. Should this be a day trip from Amsterdam or should I wrap it into a longer train trip to Barcelona. I also have an interest in hopping to Lisbon for a few days. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd go with a day trip from A'dam. Five nights in A'dam is a lot. I would definitely plan some daytrips into the surrounding area. If it were me, I would probably plan to spend nights in the area outside of A'dam since the lodging will be cheaper outside the city.

Posted by
9100 posts

Bruges is a bit too far for a day trip. It's best to stay at least one night there. After Bruges you can take the Thalys high speed train via Brussels to Paris, and then the overnight train from Paris to Barcelona.

Posted by
12040 posts

Agree that Bruges is a little too far for a satisfying daytrip. If you want a good short excursion from Amsterdam, consider Haarlem (evocative small city), Utrecht (evocative small city made more lively by old university), Muiden (large castle), Naarden (fortified town), Keuekenhof (world's largest tulip garden which should just about open up during the time of your visit) or Zaanse Schans (huge open air museum here). Bruges would be better served as an overnight trip en route to Barcelona. Instead of taking a long overnight train to Barcelona through Paris, you could also consider flying from Brussels.