Please sign in to post.

"Trip of a Lifetime"

I recently saw a Facebook post from some family who are doing an ancestral heritage tour in Norway. Someone had commented that it looked like "the trip of a lifetime." It got me thinking about that phrase, and what it means to those of us who have traveled extensively and have the means and desire to prioritize travel.

This forum is obviously not representative of the average American. For many Americans, one, two-week trip abroad (whether Europe or elsewhere) at some point in their life may indeed be the "trip of a lifetime". But for some of us, travel is almost a given. It's certainly a special experience boarding a plane and jetting off to a new country, and I don't take for granted any of the trips I've taken. But I prioritize travel. I have a line item in my budget for it where I'm always saving, and my goal is to travel internationally somewhere every year, even if it's "just" to Mexico or Canada. I'm fortunate that my job and lifestyle currently allow me to do this.

If someone were to ask me what my "trip of a lifetime" was, I'd be hard pressed to come up with one, because arguably, they all are! I dreamed since high school to visit France, and I remember the feeling of riding up the escalator from the Metro in the Latin Quarter in Paris after riding the train in from CDG, and seeing the Haussmann-era architecture coming into view. I remember the excitement of walking around Akker Brygge in Oslo with my mom, she, 35 years since her last trip to Europe, and myself for the first time in the country as we started a trip to reunite with Norwegian relatives. And I remember finally going on that long-dreamed for literary trip around England, walking the streets of Bath where Jane Austen's characters walked, and seeing the sites of Oxford that inspired the Inklings.

I guess my point is that, I sort of interpret the "trip of a lifetime" as something unrepeatable, and at this stage of my life, travel is almost a given, even if I'm not going back to the same places. I'd be curious for others who travel even more than I do, if you have any trips you'd consider your "trip of a lifetime" or how you interpret that phrase when you're able to travel to new places regularly?

Posted by
633 posts

Personally I've come to view "trip of a life time" to mean any of a number of travel experiences and not at all tied to one particular trip, but several through my life.

There's the summer of 1979 when the family drove cross country in a VW pop up camper, camping out at various KOAs and campgrounds along the way and 44 years later I remember that experience so fondly.

Summer of 1984 was the first time I got to travel without my parents, with a church group and was my first time on the Appalachian Trail. What an experience that was, and oh the stunning sights of the Great Smokey Mountains. And after a weekend and a half of rain every night we got off the trail got settled into a hotel, dried out, and watched Mary Lou Retton on TV win gold at the 84 Summer Games.

There was the summer I worked on a movie. The first time traveling to Europe, again another trip of a life time. Never thought I would ever get to experience such a thing or that I would get to see sites I'd only read about. That trip did a lot to make me realize exactly how easy it is to return and regularly enjoy.

Posted by
2322 posts

We took a trip if a lifetime in June: 3 weeks to the Dolomites, Venice , Stresa, Wengen, Colmar and Bacharach. It was an epic trip, with one wonderful place after another. But what made it a trip if a lifetime was the group: myself, husband, 20 yo son, 16 yo son, sister and her husband.

It was my sister and her husband’s first trip to Europe (they are 60), and probably their last. It was our first time together for an extended period in 25+ years. They tend to travel to tropical locations for scuba diving. I hate heat, humidity and critters that live in the ocean.

It’s also getting harder to travel with my teens, due to school and work commitments. Every trip I treat as if it could be our last in our little family bubble. Before long they will have their own families and commitments.

Posted by
504 posts

Salute, Linnae. This is a well-written and thoughtful post.

I have visited 23 countries via 21 trips abroad, which includes four visits to Canada.

For me the trip of a lifetime occurred in 2010. That year, I went to western Ireland and London, an adventure that will always stay with me.

I hiked 100 miles over seven days on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland via the Dingle Way trail (https://www.dingleway.com/). I trekked back roads, working farms, beaches and even climbed a mountain, Mt. Brandon, the eighth tallest in Ireland.

I heard people speaking Irish as their day-to-day language. I saw early Christian, Celtic and Norman antiquities. The highlight was Minard Castle, a spooky Norman ruin. Though I had previously seen dozens of castles throughout Europe, none compared with Minard. And I saw the ruin alone, which added to the fascination. I also visited the South Pole Inn in Annascaul. The pub was founded by Tom Crean, an explorer who made three expeditions to Antarctica as part of the British Navy in the early 1900s.

Another great memory is that the owner of a B&B shared the memories of her mother, a nurse who served in London during the Blitz of World War II. It was an incredible moment, as my dad served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. We were the children of veterans of the most violent war in history and met in remote Ireland.

Another memory is of a farmer who invited me into his barn to show me his cow-milking process. Turned out, the farmer had been to Chicago, my home town. In addition to Irish and Americans, I met people from Spain, France and Belgium.

It wasn't all blue skies, green fields and the beautiful sea. I visited a doctor! I sought out a physician because I couldn't pull a tic out of my leg. It was a fun experience to visit a doctor in a foreign country even if I had to pay 60 Euros!

After the hike was done, I took a ferry from Cork, Ireland, to Swansea, Wales. It was fun to spend the night on the Atlantic Ocean. After arriving at 6 a.m., I took a train to London. What an eye-opener London was! I loved it. The New Globe Theater. The British Library. The pubs and beer.

The trip was particularly memorable because I spend seven days in rural western Ireland. I trod ways few ever see. Then it was on to the great city of London. The trip was one of the best things I ever did. It's a memory I hope to take to the next world.

Posted by
7294 posts

Linnae, I’m similar to you where I’m able - financially & healthy to travel to Europe often, and it’s a priority. So, although each trip has been wonderful and special, they aren’t what I would define as a “trip of a lifetime”.

My closest to this conversation topic would be my 4-H Ambassador People-to-People trip where we went to Europe & Russia for 40 days. This was the summer before I started college, and it was an eye-opening cultural experience!

Posted by
7668 posts

I keep finding more trips of my lifetime every year. I have been to 81 foreign countries and still have a few more to visit, as well as some places in countries that I have visited several times.

Travel is wonderful and there is much to see in the World.

I have some basic tips for enhancing enjoyment of travel.

1) Do your research. Study the history of where you are going. Find out what is really important where you are going. The more you know about the history and the sites to see, the more you will enjoy your trip.
2) Don't try to visit five countries in 10 days. For example, going to Rome, Italy and trying to do it in two days is insufficient. Plan on at least 5-6 days.

3) Take lots of photos and have the best printed for a photo album, you will enjoy looking at them in the future to enjoy your trip once more.

Posted by
126 posts

For me, every trip seems like the "trip of a lifetime" in that each one seems to be better than the last! Again, I am very fortunate to be able to travel often. But I've had a lot of memorable trips over the last decade or so. Just began a new trip today, after a tiring travel day involving two planes, a bus, and a train, finally arrived in Trieste, Italy where I will be embarking on a 7 day cruise to Croatia, Greece, and Turkey. After that, I will be traveling for a week independently in Bosnia and Montenegro. Hope this is as good as all the others!

Posted by
464 posts

We are on the same page Linnae! And I agree with other replies here also. When we prioritize travel…and we are blessed to do frequent trips…each trip adds on to the list “trip of a lifetime” scenio! I do hear myself saying our recent July trip was and I call it that. Did 5 countries…cruise and land….with 5 grandchildren and their parents! 11 of us! To see and experience Europe through their eyes is truly priceless! And now when together we add on with our shared memories! Just so very grateful…and that we stayed well, safe and sane! Yes… not taking these extra perks in life for granted!

Posted by
1745 posts

I've been on so many amazing trips. Any of them could have been the trip of a lifetime until the next trip. Right now I have three trips planned, all of which are potentially even bigger and more amazing than any I've been on so far.

But the trip of a lifetime for me was the trip I took from Seattle to Ajijic, where I now live, four years ago. No other trip I've taken was life-changing at the level of that one.

Posted by
6547 posts

For me, a trip of a lifetime would be visits to places I’ll probably never get back to.

Posted by
3114 posts

Another way of looking at it is that perhaps a trip you didn't think was going to be any different to any other trip you had previously taken then turned into the absolute best trip of your lifetime…..so far!

I agreed to two weeks in Newfoundland in 2019 with two friends, and we just had the time of our lives!
One of my best trips ever, anywhere in the world….a very special place on Earth.

Posted by
2344 posts

But I prioritize travel. I have a line item in my budget for it where I'm always saving, and my goal is to travel internationally somewhere every year, even if it's "just" to Mexico or Canada. I'm fortunate that my job and lifestyle currently allow me to do this.

^This. Though I couldn't go every year because of work commitments, I was able to do a big trip every other year while I was working. I just retired and will travel a bit more frequently (if my pension allows).

Compared to some of my peers, who have never left the USA let alone my state, I've pretty much done nothing but once-in-a-lifetime trips. But for me, there are a couple of special trips that fall in that category. My first solo trip to Italy on a RS tour was life changing. Going to Ecuador and standing on the equator was pretty cool, plus seeing Machu Picchu in Peru was a gasp out loud experience. I took my nephew on a high school graduation trip (postponed two years due to COVID) and am so thankful I got to see the world through his fresh eyes. I hope to do the same with my niece next year. And I didn't realize how "trip of a lifetime" my last minute trip to Iceland in late 2019 turned out to be - just prior to COVID, it sustained me through those dark days of staying home. And my dad has requested that after he dies, he wants his ashes spread in Australia (where he and my mom lived in the late 1960s). I am 100% sure that trip with my sister will qualify.

Fun question, and interesting responses from others!

Posted by
739 posts

Compared to most on this forum I am an amature as far as international travel goes. If i get tovadd in major US trips (in distance or time or whatever). Then i am a bit more respectable,

But even fir me the “Trip of a lifetime”. Is hard to define or pick.
Oddly enough I am about to go on a “trip of a lifetime” that truly IS. I am going with my buddy and his mother, neither have been over seas and frankly nether are likely too every again. Thus this is a trip of a lifetime for my friends mother and probably is for my friend.

I on the other hand…. I have 4 possibilities. 1) my first trip when i was a kid and we spent a month in Europe (Mostly Germany). that was a experience that I couldn't understand properly as it was so far outside my experience at the time. New Food, new smell, new cultures unknown languages, “new” relatives. it was all overwhelming.
my second option was a month long RV trip with my Parents when I had just bern laid off. I took part of my severance package to live off of and away we went. I only worried about a job occasionally sending out resumes to a few select companies and oddly had a job lined up when i got back. It was memerable in a large part because i never once wortied about what kind of mess i would find when i got back to the office so it was very relaxing. I imagine much like traveling after being retired.
My third and 4th options are my most recent trips in 17 and 18. 2017 When i finally hot to England for the first time as well as Paris for the first time when i took my father to Europe. His first time in France and England as well and his first trip back to Europe in about 20 years, But my forth option is my last trip in 2018 while not. memorable for seeing things i always wanted to for the first time it is memorable because it turned out to be my dads, my long time travel companions last trip .if you made me pick i would say that one.

But i really think for travelers with a few trips under there belt it is typicaly impossible yo bick a trip of a lifetime unless the have done something out of the norm for them. Say a 2 month trip when they normally only go for a couple weeks or Going to Africa when they normally only go to Europe.
For most of us it is more likly that each trip has some High light so we have more of a Best of List

Often this List is made up of a lot of places we have always wanted to go. Sort of a bucket list.

Posted by
7034 posts

To me a trip of a lifetime means one that you will take only once in your lifetime, but not necessarily your only trip. So, it could be your one and only trip to Europe (or anywhere else) - one that you saved most of your life in order to take; or it could be one or more of many trips you have taken all over the world. In my case I have taken two trips that I know I will never repeat so I call them both 'trips of a lifetime'. One was to New Zealand and one was to China. I probably would not travel again to China as it's gotten harder and harder to do and may even be impossible now. I also know that with my current age and health issues I'm not likely to ever get 'down under' again.

Posted by
18 posts

My trip of a lifetime would be my first trip to Europe.

I was in my early 20s, on a small budget, biking from one youth hostel to the next.
It was the first time I flew or took a train.

It was the first time I felt limited by having only one language.
It was the first time I saw Stonehenge, Chartres cathedral, the Parthenon.
The world opened up for me, expanded.
it was the impetus for all the great trips I have had since.

Posted by
2076 posts

A trip of a lifetime has been defined for me by my family and friends to mean “once and done”. It’s I’ve been to Paris (pick any city or country) so I’ve seen Europe type of mentality. Most of them can afford at least a yearly trip but have no desire for further exploration. I decided I was going to see the world back in fourth grade and started with China back in the early 80s. So, I don’t look at any of my travels as a trip of a lifetime but as another wonderful exploration.

Posted by
74 posts

Great responses so far! I define a “trip of a lifetime” from all the wonderful incredible trips I have had the pleasure of taking by :
Who was on the trip- taking my 80 year old mom to Cuba was one
Where: a difficult place or far flung location I won’t probably get back to again
What: an out of my comfort zone activity on a trip like hiking the West Highland Way or walking the Camino.
Why: a milestone birthday or activity or reason why we are there that’s different from just the fun of it

All trips are full of wonder and delight and excitement but that criteria above points to a trip of a lifetime for me.

Posted by
166 posts

For some reason when I read "trip of a lifetime," my mind immediately goes to the length of the trip. So far I've only been able to travel max 12 nights total. But one day I would love to take a full month for vacation. Not sure the destination even matters (although a full month in Spain pops to mind) as much as the length of the trip.

Posted by
6293 posts

We recently got a flyer from the university from which we graduated, advertising a trip to Europe, India, and the Middle East. All first class, private jets... for only $80,000.00. Per person. Not counting the round trip flight to the starting point in Europe.

Now, that really would be the trip of a lifetime! We'd never be able to afford another trip ever again!

Posted by
464 posts

Yes Jane…those university alumni trips are always enticing and so interesting but way over what we can budget. Not wanting a one and done….permantly and forever!

Posted by
2355 posts

I think a trip of a lifetime for me would be to Egypt. When I was 14 my history teacher brought in photos of her trip there and almost 30 years later I still remember that was the day that sparked my interest in traveling. It's a bucket list place that I'm still intimidated to attempt. But definitely someday 😊

Posted by
1943 posts

I think a trip of a lifetime for some is simply going to Europe. Some people aren't financially able to travel every year and those that are blessed. People at work sometimes have gone to Europe twice in their lifetime and for them it is a trip of a lifetime.

We met an Italian woman who was seeing the Grand Canyon and New Mexico on her whirlwind tour of the US. For her it was the trip of a lifetime.

Personally for me, every trip now is a trip of a lifetime as I have friends and parents who can't travel anymore and were planning on traveling more before their health issues. One never knows if job, finances or ill health will make a trip the last one.

Posted by
2393 posts

My last trip with my husband in 2017 I titled the blog "Trip of a Lifetime". It was 2½ months on the continent and a two week transatlantic cruise back. It was amazing...we were not ready to come home. We met George on that cruise...oh what fun we all had!

We had planned a repeat trip in 2019 but the universe had different plans. My husband was in a car accident and while his injuries were not extensive he did need some long term treatment, then Covid, then an underlying medical problem accelerated.

I lost my husband of 38 years in November. I am leaving the last day of August for another trip of a lifetime, this one a memorial of sorts. I will visit some of our special places and memorialize him there. It is 129 days altogether...some old favorites and some new destinations.

Before his illness accelerated we were planning this trip. Some very good friends who had followed my blog of the last trip upon hearing we were going again asked to join us. These folks have never to Europe...going was never even on their radar. They are joining me for 97 days! I have spent months planning and now am less than 2 weeks away.

It is possible to have more than one "Trip of a Lifetime"!

Posted by
464 posts

Sorry for your loss Christi. That sounded all so hard to go thru for you both. Sad but….Poignant and inspiring post. You choose to live your life well and to continue to look for joy in travel and experiences…and with friends! That trip sounded wonderful! It’s the reason we travel now and are thankfully able in our retirement to extend them. One never knows if it’s our last. May your travel be blessed with more good memories…even reliving the bitter sweet ones….

Posted by
1549 posts

"Trip of a lifetime" is a phrase I detest. It makes it sound like no future trips will ever be as good. If so, why bother?

I believe you don't know it's one of the best trips until it's over, and sinks in.

When I think back, these are some of my choices (no order):

China in 2012. Fabulous. Wouldn't go near the country now.

RS Best of Adriatic, June 2023. Exceeded all expectations.

Northern Italy and Austria (Sep 2010). Learned the joy of traveling light.

France 2011. Every planned detail worked out and we made perfect choices throughout.

First Atlantic crossing followed by two weeks in Spain. Partly the company on the cruise, partly the length of trip, partly Spain (even though I don't connect with Spain the way I do France).

Poland, Austria, Czech Republic 2004. Our first time on the continent. Some of you will recall the crazy stories (crazy Russian masseuse, for example). That's when we knew we could survive most anything abroad.

Every trip has "moments of a lifetime". Even trips that overall weren't as lifechanging.

Posted by
4101 posts

As I overthink this question and let it consume my Sunday morning, my initial reaction is that a trip of a lifetime is something I've always wanted to do. Until I read other responses I'd never considered it a trip that I'll likely never do again.

My first trip of a lifetime was in 1979 to Disneyland, I've been back many times and enjoyed every trip, but the first was the only one I'd consider the trip of a lifetime. Spring Training in Florida next March is also a trip of a lifetime because I've never been, but have always wanted to-it's probably my longest standing travel bucketlist item. My first European adventure in 2014 was not considered a trip of a lifetime at the time because I never knew I wanted to go. I just went because my wife said I wanted to go. It wasn't until I got back that it was the trip of a lifetime and it's triggered many more.

Posted by
366 posts

Andrea: "Every trip has "moments of a lifetime". Even trips that overall weren't as lifechanging." Well said!

Allan: LOL---"As I overthink this question and let it consume my Sunday morning.. (and LOL----"I just went because my wife said I wanted to go.")
This! I just started reading the thread, then told my husband he needed to read the thread. But, I went on to read him exerpts...Now, we've fallen down the rabbit hole discussing our trips. He's also scrolling through our 2 Ireland trips ('09 & '19) and asking me to guess the locations, and which trip....Such a pleasant morning.

Thank you, Linnae!

Posted by
4862 posts

It wasn't until I got back that it was the trip of a lifetime and it's triggered
many more.

Nailed it. At least for me. Everyone is free to define 'trip of a lifetime' as it relates to their own life.

I've had a few that stand out as bucket list trips that met or exceeded my expectations. At the time they were my trip of a lifetime. Until the next one came along. To me, this doesn't necessarily mean a once in a lifetime trip- never to be repeated. The only trips I never hope to repeat are the ones that disappointed or were just so so.

And then there were a couple of trips that started out with not so high expectations, but turned into memorable experiences that will remain as one of our most favorite. Like the trip to New Zealand that my husband really wanted because one of his brothers lived there and I came along for the ride.

We will visit Egypt and Jordan this winter. It has been on my bucket list since I was a child, so I have high hopes it will become another of my 'trips of a lifetime'.

Posted by
2355 posts

I never knew I wanted to go. I just went because my wife said I wanted to go.

I just read this aloud to my husband and he smirked "sounds familiar"

Posted by
2713 posts

Christi, Yes, you can have more than one trip of a lifetime. Your post really touched me. I hope you have a wonderful time on your coming trip of a lifetime. By any measure, it would qualify.

I’ve been very fortunate to travel a lot, the only downside being that no trip is as special as it would be for someone who only takes one big trip in their lifetime. But that’s okay; I truly enjoy all my trips. The only one that I would call a trip of a lifetime is Antarctica. We absolutely loved it and we will certainly never do it again. The fact that it was canceled twice due to Covid, adds to its specialness.

Posted by
2027 posts

Christi--I am so sorry for your loss. Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful in so many ways. I wish you the best:)

I think we can have numerous trips of a lifetime, for various reasons. I would say my first trip to Europe was a trip of a lifetime. it got us hooked on travel. Another trip of a lifetime was going to France with my mom and daughter. I loved that the 3 of us got to travel together, but did not give that further thought until we almost lost her last year, and now her care is ongoing. Another trip of a lifetime is when wee took our adult kids on a nearly 2 week trip to Iceland a couple years ago. How often can you get 5 peoples schedules to align and for everyone to still like each other after doing a road trip and being together 24/7 for 12 days? We just got back from Iceland, and again a trip of a lifetime as we hiked the volcano and just sat and watched the magma. How often does one get to do that? Another trip of a lifetime was last December when it was myself, our daughter and our sons girlfriend and we did the Christmas markets in Munich and Salzburg. Girls trip and the Christmas markets were an ideal match. In a bad way, another trip of a lifetime was when we were in Europe when the pandemic hit. That was just bad as my husband got so sick and we barely made it home before everything shut down.

Posted by
927 posts

If a lottery was won, we would lease out our house, and take one of the World Cruises, like the Ultimate World Cruise through Royal Caribbean. We would select the full package. :)

As a trip that can never be repeated, that would have to be the first time I drove across the US from Baltimore MD to Tacoma WA, at 19, in 1976, to attend college. It was a life changing experience.

Posted by
421 posts

I guess "the trip of a lifetime" would fall into different categories. There is "life trip" and something more like "vacation trip" and a "habitat" trip and then for me "outdoor trip." Life trip would be my Peace Corps service in Ecuador 1994-96. That of course totally changed the trajectory of my life and how I see the world. Unsurpassed vacation trips would have to be Scotland in 2009--totally fell in love with the landscape, people, music, food, and atmosphere, and my first trip to Costa Rica in 2007---loved the people, food, wildlife, and lush surroundings and didn't want to leave. For an animal habitat trip--there is no place like Galapagos. It was astounding and so unique. My most phenomenal outdoor trip was 12 days backpacking the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in 2011--made me even more committed to conservation, habitat, and the environment, and expanded my whole concept of what wilderness is, along with changing me to vegetarian.

Posted by
2027 posts

Pete--We have spent a lot of time near there in AK. We have family that are native Athabaskan and their land is in the Brooks Range, just a few miles shy of the Gates of the Arctic. No village, no roads in/out, just their bush plane or by boat. It is amazing to go up there for a few weeks at a time and live that lifestyle. Our son learned to do laundry on a washboard when he was a teen and stayed up there for a summer. Our cousins parents were recognized numerous times for their contributions to the area and have been featured at the UAF Museum of the North.

Posted by
237 posts

Posted by Carroll

The only one that I would call a trip of a lifetime is Antarctica. We
absolutely loved it and we will certainly never do it again.

I'd have to say Antarctica after reading a trip report on this website. Don't remember if it was you, Carroll, who posted it or someone else. Until reading that I had never considered Antarctica, but after reading the trip report thought this would be the closest to an "other-worldly place" that I think I could go on Earth. For some reason the Arctic doesn't seem as exotic.

But for me, the trips of a lifetime will be travelling the US and Europe to see my own country and the countries my ancestors left to come here. Then Asia and points south of the equator.

I'd really like to just be a hobo in retirement.

Posted by
2114 posts

I have taken a few days to really think about this question (since I first read the post). And, I will add this is a hard question to answer, because we have been blessed to have traveled to all 7 continents, plus New Zealand (which is technically on a separate continental shelf from Australia), along with various "island" trips to the VI and BVI, and some incredible US/Canadian trips.

I still cannot narrow it down to JUST one, so I will answer with "categories."

For us, Antarctica with National Geographic was our ADVENTURE "trip of a lifetime" in the sense that we never, ever would have dreamed we would get there, and it was SUCH an amazing experience (more wonderful than we could have previously imagined). Greenland/Iceland, also with National Geographic, would come in second in the Adventure Category.

In the HERITAGE category, a trip to Ireland to meet a distant cousin (after a lot of research to find her), who then took us to see the ruins of the little cottage in which my grandmother was raised (exactly matching the old black/white photo I still have from my childhood) , then the home of the other great grandparents, the church, the cemetery, etc., and hearing about how times were when my cousin was a young girl.........that was truly an experience I never, even dreamed I would have. I remember as a child holding the photo and wondering that the country (way across the ocean was like, never dreaming someone like me from such a very modest upbringing would ever even (afford to) get on a plane). It was also a fabulous trip, because we split overnights between fabulous castles and modest B&Bs, each special in their own ways.

In the just WOW type travel, definitely Italy (3 trips) and Greece (for all the obvious reasons), but also special was seeing the vast tulip fields all in bloom as we traveled toward Kuekenhoff (where a fellow tour member jokingly commented he was surprised I had not yet gotten down to "roll" in the tulips). I am a big gardener and flower lover. Seeing that was very special!. Paris cannot be left out....very special.

Closer to home, Hawaii, which was later in life, was truly incredible and memorable, especially the two helicopter trips (one traveling over hot lava, the other over incredible waterfalls). Then just beach sitting/snorkeling at the old (now in ruins from a hurricane years ago) Caneel Bay Resort, on St. John was incredible (and was a repeat for us).

So, maybe the trip of a lifetime is really just that "our lifetime," which includes all the experiences we have had...locally or in travel....everything (including travel) that makes us who we are and what we aspire to......the impact we have had on others...the impact others have had on us....those little characteristics or good for which we might be remembered.

What would I still view as a travel "trip of a lifetime" not yet taken -- that would be one of the private jet tours around the world, seeing some relatively remote places (to which we have not yet traveled) and having some unique experiences every efficiently without the hassles of commercial air connections, etc., along with private access to certain venues and top guides. It would be the ta-da trip...likely the final international one....maybe.

........but I would still like to stay in one of the "hut type" rooms over the ocean on a tropical island..........

Posted by
3227 posts

We have been very fortunate to travel as we wish, with some limitations of course ( kids, job). I think our trip of a lifetime might not have happened yet. A future World Cruise on Viking. Not booked yet, but soon. Antarctica would also fall in that category, fingers crossed 🤞🏻. Scuba diving in Galapagos, gorilla trekking in Uganda and safari in Tanzania could all be called Trip of a Lifetime. Egypt has been our most exotic locale.

Posted by
380 posts

What a wonderful thread! Thank you, Linnae, for starting it. Like you I have always made trava financial priority. I buy inexpensive but reliable cars and keep them at least 15 years. I bought a small, modest house when I was young and have stayed put, rather than upgrading as my salary increased over the years. I travel abroad generally once a year. It is hard to identify my trip of a lifetime (I actually hope that the BEST one may still be in my future), but I’ve narrowed it down to 3: my first trip to Europe after college. I was a country bumpkin, traveled around Europe for 5 weeks on a Eurail pass, and saw so many famous sites that I’d never in my wildest dreams I would ever see, growing up poor on a farm.
Then when I turned 30 I quit my job and backpacked around the world for a year. Without a doubt the best life decision I’ve ever made.
Then in 2005 I returned to New Zealand for 5 weeks - the most glorious place I think I’ve been. Did a 50-plus mile hike on the Queen Charlotte Trek, which is one of my best experiences ever.
Who knows what’s around the corner?

Posted by
4101 posts

A future World Cruise on Viking. Not booked yet, but soon. Antarctica
would also fall in that category, fingers crossed 🤞🏻. Scuba diving
in Galapagos, gorilla trekking in Uganda and safari in Tanzania could
all be called Trip of a Lifetime. Egypt has been our most exotic
locale.

I want to be Tammy when I grow up.

Posted by
73 posts

Love this topic and love the responses!

When I think of "trip of a lifetime" I think of a trip that cannot be replicated, either due to financial constraints, the companions, or just circumstances .

Like the trip as a child to Bhutan...
Like the first trip to the UK which I had been planning for 40 years...
Like the last trip with my 18-year-old to London and Paris, before he went off to college...

I love traveling so much - I hope there are many more "trips of a lifetime" ahead for all of us.

Posted by
11 posts

this is an excellent post!

I too have come to value travel above all else. It's a close #2 right after the importance of family. My trip of a lifetime is ongoing! I fell into a beautiful love affair with France. I also have a deep appreciation for Spain and vowed to reconnect with my Spanish heritage. Next year, it's on to Italy to fulfill my son's hankering for pasta! In short, it's an ongoing saga! Each time I get on a plane and land somewhere new...its a trip of a lifetime. Thank you for this post, by the way!

Posted by
4322 posts

My "trip of a lifetime" was my first trip to Europe in 1985 at age 31, because it accomplished my goal of making a(singular) trip to Europe.