Please sign in to post.

Trip Itinerary - January

Hello, I have never been to Europe and I am currently living in North America. For January, I have booked my return ticket to Amsterdam. I will be in Europe for 8 days. Here is itinerary- can someone advise on the itinerary: Day 1: Land in AMS Day 2, 3: Prague Day 4, 5: Vienna Day 6: Munich Day 7: Innbruk Day 8: Berlin Day 9: Amsterdam or Day 1: Land in AMS Day 2, 3: Prague Day 4, 5: Vienna Day 6: Salzburg Day 7: Innbruk Day 8: Munich
Day 9: Amsterdam I am unsure if I should go to Berlin or Salzburg for a night. Apparently Salzburg would be great spot if I was in to Mozart or Sound of Music (I am in to neither). What do you suggest? I dont mind the cold. Also, a very ignorant question- I am racially a minority, do you think I could have any issues in any of the places i have mentioned above? Thanks,

Posted by
23269 posts

It is beyond crazy. Do you realize the amount of time you will actually spend traveling probably greater than the time you spend in any location. And traveling in winter when weather delays can be a problem. Have you looked at a map and the distances involved. I assume you have already booked your ticket or else I would have strongly recommended an open jaw tickets. Unless you are willing to drop three of the cities there is little point in discussing your schedule.

Posted by
12040 posts

Take this trip back to the drawing board. You haven't given yourself time to do anything except travel back and forth. And all of your desired locations are a full travel day away from your entrance and exit city. If you're flying into Amsterdam, I would suggest concentrating on western, rather than central Europe. For example, from Amsterdam, you can reach Paris in a few hours on the high speed Thalys train.

Posted by
14510 posts

Do you plan on taking the night train from Munich to Amsterdam?

Posted by
32212 posts

Simu, I agree with the others! You haven't allowed for adequate travel times between cities, so I doubt whether this will be possible. One important factor to consider is there could be delays in transportation due to weather conditions, so it's really not a good idea to plan something like this. Since you've already booked return tickets to Amsterdam, you won't be able to change that. I'd suggest skipping at least two of the cities on your list and then submit another Itinerary. I'd start with Berlin and Prague. One tip for "future reference". It's a good idea to work out the Itinerary details before booking flights. Open jaw flights would have helped somewhat in this case. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
951 posts

Stay in the Netherlands and maybe spend 2 days in Belgium, either Bruges or Ghent. I just spent 8 nights in Belgium and found it lovely, spending 5 nights in Bruges and 3 in Ghent. If I had more time, I would have ventured into Amsterdam. Anything else beyond that region is a bit too extreme. Or like others have stated, maybe The Netherlands and Paris. A few years ago I did a Amsterdam (3 nights), Bruges (2 nights), Paris (4 nights), and found that doable. For you, your would have to cut a day off Paris to return to Amsterdam for a return flight home. With 8 days, the other regions you mention are simply just too far away. You will lose a whole day in travel in most cases. You just do not have enough time for that.

Posted by
964 posts

I totally agree with everyone else here- you don't have anything like enough time for this selection. I would suggest you choose either one of the plans already posted here; or choose 2-3 cities that you really want to see. Don't forget that in winter, daylight hours are shorter. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
235 posts

First of all, I've been to the places you listed except Salzburg and you won't face any issues as a minority. Maybe a few odd glances in Prague, but anyone in the hospitality industry will treat you well. Now, to rescue your itinerary. You would need to invent a teleportation device in order to pull off what you are trying to do, so forget about it. If you are young and energetic, you may be able to fit 3 locations, certainly no more. Here's an option: Day 1: AMS Day 2: Amsterdam Day 3: Train to Berlin (6 hrs) Day 4: Berlin Day 5: Berlin Day 6: Train to Prague (4 1/2 hrs) Day 7: Prague Day 8: Prague, take evening Easyjet to Amsterdam
Day 9: Leave for home. This is still too much travel time for most people, but it is not physically impossible. You will see three very different places and and feel like you had a "sampler" of Europe. Keep in mind that it takes time to get to the train, check out of hotels, etc. Try to pick hotels that are close to the train (easy to do in Amsterdam) and you might be able to do something like this. Bottom line is you can't do everything and you most likely will be back sooner than you think.