Please sign in to post.

Trip insurance

Are there any trip insurance companies that travellers have had a good experience with? I've read many negative reviews of Access America that make me hesitate to trust what any company claims it will cover.

Posted by
23269 posts

Look at insuremytrip.com and squarejaw.com. The big problem with travel insurance is that most people make assumptions about what is covered without reading the fine print and like to choice the cheapest policy. You get what you pay for and you can only insure your potential losses. You need to understand what you WANT or NEED to insure. Not the same for everyone.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, Frank. Think I kind of missed the boat on most of what I wanted to cover since I didn't buy the insurance within the short time frame after making our first deposit on the trip, so I may just do the CDW coverage with a company, maybe Travel Guard for the $10/day which is reasonable and hold our breath on the trip cancellation/interruption and medical stuff since it appears just about anything that would happen wouldn't be covered because companies seem to use that preexisting condition clause pretty aggressively to deny claims. I'll be more on top of it next time.

Posted by
4407 posts

I've never heard anything but FANTASTIC reviews of Access America, so there you go...They have some of the most generous policies out there... Just for fun, I searched for reviews of Access America, Travel Guard, and a few other 'big names'; of course, the reviews were awful - all of the insurance companies were 'shysters' and 'leeches' LOL! What's new?!? Most people who've made a successful claim and been reimbursed don't get online and scream as loudly as possible (in ALL CAPS) for all to hear. But those with an ax to grind, ohhhhhh yeah. All of the companies I looked up (and I looked at only 2 different rating sites) had nearly the exact same ratings - by both professional rankings (around 90-95% approval) and by customers (around 20% approval). (cont.)

Posted by
4407 posts

(cont.) Most were complaints that someone at 'home' (USA, wherever) had died of a terminal illness before the customer's trip - that's a pre-condition that's not going to be paid. Sad, but that's it. Also, some didn't like having to go through the painful process of gathering and sending off death certificates for other claims. I've had to get death certificates; it's not fun, and it's quite painful to have to deal with, but it's the way things go...Someone else was put out because the space shuttle was delayed and he wanted to postpone his trip to see it launch; Access America didn't pay for his claim...duh. I don't think most of these people have ever made an insurance claim, because they often take months to resolve...many seemed surprised that it wasn't all over with in a matter of days. Again, why these things take so long I'll never understand, but they do. And you DO have to send them whatever is required, whether you think it makes sense or not. And, ummmm, YELLING at and threatening the claims rep doesn't help - apparently... In conclusion, according to the masses, there are NO good insurance companies ;-) (oh, and insurance pays for getting hit by a car on vacation, not when your best friend trips on some stairs at home and you're too upset to go on your trip...)

Posted by
10225 posts

I filed a claim with Access America and was promptly reimbursed for my medical expense. I simply had to fax my documentation. You won't get reimbursed for something not covered, so read the policy carefully. I use insuremytrip.com to find the policy that meets my needs for a specific trip.