Please sign in to post.

Trier,Germany

Would like to know sights and lodging for this town

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have RS Germany Guide Book? It has a section on Trier and may answer some of your questions.
It can be purchased elsewhere on this web site and we found it helpful when we went to Germany a couple of years ago. If you are not going to Germany, you could always go to a book store or library and just read the section on Trier.

Posted by
984 posts

The RS Germany guide book is definitely helpful. It has a nice walking tour that gives you an orientation to the town. Not sure what type of things you are looking for, but the well preserved Roman throne room and the ruins of some Roman baths were my two favorite sites in Trier. Those two alone made Trier worthwhile for me.

Posted by
470 posts

We stayed at the Romischer Kaiser in Trier. It is right next to the Porta Nigra Roman gate which is an excellent location. I notice this hotel doesn't get stellar reviews on Tripadvisor, but we loved it. We arrived in Trier by train (not that easy to get to) and walked a longish way to the small family-run hotel I had reserved/confirmed/reconfirmed via email. When we arrived they claimed they knew nothing about our reservation and had "no room at the inn". Dismayed, we headed back out confused and exhausted. This was before you could use a phone app to locate nearby hotels, so by sheer chance we spotted the Romischer K across the street and decided to try there. They were very sympathetic and offered us a top-floor room which was really more like an apartment. It was spacious, lovely and turned a disaster into one of our more priceless travel memories. The provided breakfast was outstanding. We loved Trier. We walked everywhere, and thought the Roman ruins were fascinating. We were only there two nights, and would be happy to return some day to explore the larger area. (We could see the hillside vineyards from our hotel window so assume there might be some excellent wine-tasting experiences there.)

Posted by
4684 posts

Apart from the Roman remains, the best known site in Trier is Karl Marx's birthplace, which has an exhibition on his life and the later history of Marxism.

Posted by
11613 posts

I also recently stayed at Romischer Kaiser, it was fine. Great location near Porta Nigra, bus stops, restaurants, and Main Street of the old town.