Please sign in to post.

Travelling to Europe in February

My wife and I along with our 18 month old are looking to spend a week in Europe in Mid to late February. Never been there so we are looking to hit some if not just one of the big cities. Would Rome be warm enough to visit? If not, what are the other options?

Posted by
10344 posts

"Would Rome be warm enough to visit?"

Click here for the best weather site for weather more than 10 days out.

In the last dozen years, in the period Feb 15 - 28 Rome's daily high temp was 56 (~4pm) and avg low was 39 (at night).

That translates to day-time temps of mid-40's to mid-50's.

Of course these are only averages, any one year will vary.

Posted by
359 posts

The meteorologists and stats have it nailed; just check today's posts concerning weather in western Europe -especially places like Yorkshire.

Posted by
10344 posts

"Looking to spend a week in Europe in Mid to late February. Never been there so we are looking to hit some if not just one of the big cities."

We'd like to help and can be more helpful if you give us more to work with, some more on your travel interests, what you're looking for. You say Europe and a week. A week is not much time and "Europe" is the size of the US--so the question, as originally asked, is like a European asking: "I'm going to be in the US for a week, what are the big cities I should hit?"

If you get back to us, we'll try to help.

Posted by
3428 posts

If you can arrange to leave the toddler with his grandparents or a loving aunt/uncle, you would enjoy things more I think. For one week, I'd suggest picking 1 destination. Then plan a few day trips. Persoanlly, I LOVE London for a week. But as previously stated- what are YOUR intersts? We can make better and more specific suggesstions if you give us a few more details. History buffs? Like hiking? Love art? architechture? Want a lively nightlife scene? you get the drift.....

Posted by
2779 posts

First of all I'd like to congratulate you for the wisdom of not to just collect big cities but to visit the real Europe, the small towns, rural areas, beautiful sceneries etc. Larger cities, that might be milder or warmer in February include Seville, Rome, Nice, Athens... Also usually it's quite mild in Ireland or at least not as freezy as in Continental Europe...

Posted by
1357 posts

Especially when traveling with a toddler. I'd focus on just one city and the surrounding area, whether that city is Rome or Barcelona or Athens or Dublin. I'd look for the place that's the warmest that has the most little kid options -- playgrounds, carousels, parks, zoos, things like that. From my experience, toddlers aren't that much into museums, at least not the same ones that grown-ups like to go to.

Posted by
818 posts

Paris and Normandy were great in February. I am sure Rome would be great too. If possible, I prefer traveling off season. I'll take a little cold over tons of tourists any day.

Posted by
3 posts

To be more specific we were thinking of Rome. Didn't say that earlier cause I was keeping an open mind about other locations. Would love to visit the small towns and countryside as Andreas said but with only a week and a toddler in tow its unlikely.
Wouldn't mind leaving the toddler with grandparents but the wife won't consider it. A german friend said its just really "gloomy" in europe in Feb, whatever that means........