Please sign in to post.

Traveling with medications

Is there any problem traveling throughout England or France with a pill box with several (5 or 6) prescription medications? I do have a list of the medications, including their generic names and intend to bring that. I was under the impression that you needed to bring them in their original bottles with the prescription information attached. This take a lot more room in my carry-on. Are there any customs restrictions?

Posted by
3428 posts

One suggesstion- ask your phamacist to print duplicate labels- then put each one on a small baggie. Put the pills in the baggie. Presto- easy to pack and 'legaly' labled meds.

Posted by
1 posts

HELLO Ken, I am also going to London/Paris on 26th of this month, I am 63yrs old with many medications, first I called the TSA 1.866.289.9673 they informed me that here in the USA that they require all labels with name matching Passport and a letter from physician on the purpose for these medications then she told me to phone the Consulate of London 202.647.4000 to ask about going thru customs in the UK, I phoned them this morning he was very pleasant and stated that they also require medications with name and a letter stating from your physician for the purpose of this meds on board, I don't know if they check the checked luggage I forgot to ask because I am only carrying a small carry on. for your own personal info. I suggest you call both numbers for advise. Have a wonderful safe trip from Phyllis in Asheville NC

Posted by
10344 posts

This question is frequently asked here. We've had no reports, on this forum, of anyone who has actually ever had a "problem" about medications, such as being questioned.

In the past some have asked whether they should put their medications in baggies that don't have a prescription label with their name, etc--and opinion here is divided on that. Technically, the rule appears to be what Phyllis said (above): that there's supposed to be a prescription label. But in actual practice there are no reports, here, of US authorities searching airport travelers carry-ons and asking questions about medications.

Now, if you have a prescription for a controlled substance (for example, the sleep aid ambien), it might not be the best idea to be entering the US with those in a baggie without a label establishing your right to possess it (but again, no one has reported actually having a problem).

Your pharmacist will probably repackage your medications into a container better for travel, if you have a large amount that takes up too much space in your carry-on. Most people don't seem to have medications that take up that much room in their carry-ons.

Posted by
1167 posts

I don't know that it is in the purview of the TSA to inspect for what medications are in your luggage so what you carry on board should not be a concern unless you have some unusual large quantity. Customs is another concern but given the relative rarity of baggage inspections the possibility of having a problem with a small quantity of unlabelled medications is so small IMO as to be non-existent. I don't worry about it.

Posted by
619 posts

I live in the U.K., but have travelled within Europe and beyond. I carry medications with me, and have never been asked what they were, or to justify having them. No-one has ever looked at them.

For the sake of your own security, it is a good idea to have an official list of the medications that you have, and the dose. This would be helpful if you lose any of your medication and have to visit a doctor to get a new prescription, even if the medication has a different name in another country. It's like taking a photocopy of the main page of your passport.

In the U.K., our prescriptions have one part that you give to the pharmacist and a counterfoil with a list of all the drugs you are currently taking. That is the list I take with me. It is only a small piece of paper. Most of my medication is dispensed in blister packs with enough for one or two weeks. This means that it is obvious what each one is.

Thousands of people fly to other countries every day. Many carry medication, and the vast majority have no contact with customs officials. A customs officer would also be taking a risk if he or she confiscated life-saving medicines.

Posted by
552 posts

I turned a "4x's a Day" meds reminder pack into a four week supply of my prescriptions. This took up less than half the space of the individual bottles.

At first, I looked like a serious, rave party, drug dealer. But no one blinked an eye at my "stash."

Loosing them and not getting replacements would have been bad for my heart, so I had the pharmacy make copies of the labels for me and kept them with other back-up documents.

Posted by
668 posts

I usually carry mine in the original containers on my outward journey, but also carry copies of the prescription. Once in Europe, I put them all in one (or two, of they don't fit) container and return with the few I have left in one container. If I lost them to customs, it would not be a big deal, but I have never been stopped or had them looked at, even when my hand luggae has been searched at security - this happenned every time (6 times!) I boarded a plane on my recent trip.

Once, travelling locally, I got held up with snow and ran out of medication, so was glad to be able to take teh copies to a pharmacy and get a few to tide me over till I got home.

Posted by
808 posts

Please...always keep your medication in their original containers with their prescription labels.

Unlabeled medication is what we in EMS refer to as "Pill Salad". I see it often in the field.

The Pharmacy labels contain vital information called "The 5 Rights of Medication"

-The right person

-The right medication

-The right dose

-The right method

-The right time

First Responders need to see this information to assist in medical emergencies.

If your prescription bottles are too large, just ask your Pharmacist to fill two or three smaller bottles. Mine flagged my file and automatically does this for me since I travel often. Or consider having your meds blister packed.