Please sign in to post.

Traveling with Medication

Going to France the end of next week. The wife attended a packing seminar hosted by a local travel store. The presenter said that under current security guidelines all medication would be confiscated. Even if it was in the orginal pharmacy container. Anybody know if this is true?

Posted by
3428 posts

Even liquid medication do NOT go in the 3-1-1 bag. They need to be in their own baggie. Just flew last month, and NO medications were confiscated. TSA does not care about medications. I often have to take my nebulizer and asthmas medication- they do check the nebulizer, but otherwise, I've never been asked about my medications.

Posted by
1443 posts

That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard! I do carry mine in the original container just to be safe, but probably not even necessary!

Posted by
1840 posts

I would go to a different travel store from now on, or you might have a talk with the owner about the veracity of the presenters they have presenting. This is the kind of thing that gets a little attention and takes off as the true gospel, when its not.

Posted by
23282 posts

That is nuts. I have never heard that or seen that. Wonder what other bad information was given at this travel course. Unless it is liquid it doesn't go into the 3-1-1 bag. Common recommendation is keep it in original containers. I carry a bunch of large pills that fill a quart bag for a month pretty well and no one has ever said boo.

Posted by
14530 posts

Hi, If that's true, they haven't taken away my medication. BTW, it's not only untrue but also silly to assert that. And, I've never been asked about carrying medication, as if that were a problem.

Posted by
9363 posts

I'm in Spain right now, and I brought with me a fairly large supply of vitamins, calcium, supplements, and one prescription drug. The Rx is in a daily pill container. The rest are all in one baggie. No one asked about them, and nothing was confiscated. Apparently this presenter hasn't actually traveled himself.

Posted by
32212 posts

Terry, I've travelled with both prescription medications (pills) in carry-on and Vitamins in checked baggage, and no one has said a thing about them (that's true for both international travel as well as within the U.S.). I always keep the prescription med's in their original container, labelled with my name. I'm not sure where the "presenter" got his/her information, but based on my experiences and those related by others here, the information you were given would appear to be incorrect. Cheers!

Posted by
3428 posts

The more I think on this, the more I find it absolutely incredible. Really? The TSA is going to be responsible for epileptics having seziures, diabetics going into commas, asthmatics stopping breathing, heat patients on Rythmols going into A-fib, etc.???? REALLY? Why would that consultant spout such unbelieveable stuff?
To scare people? To make himself sound important because he has 'inside' informaiton? ARUGHHHH!!! People like that make me want to scream. The government will NOT take your meds. Heck- didn't Congress and our current President pass a new law were eventually government will pay for all meds- at least for many people?

Posted by
2916 posts

Where did the presenter get his info? Or was it misinterpreted? I just traveled to France with some medication, not all of it in original containers, and never gave it a second thought; it was just in my carry-on. Nor have I ever had a problem with it.