Please sign in to post.

Traveling with family

I would like to take my family on a trip to Europe. We will have a week so prefer to stay in one place.

Perimeters I’m trying to work with:
1. Age ranges from 30 to one person is 75.
2. One person is sensitive to high heat. Need to stay 75 degrees or less
3. Hoping for good public transportation
4. Would love to rent a home or villa
5. People will be traveling from Memphis TN, Washington DC and Manchester England.

6. I don’t really enjoy regular cruises and river cruises are expensive with me paying for everything.
7. Hoping for a variety of things to do. History, sight seeing, good food and possibly an experience.

I am grateful for any suggestions or guidance. I know it’s a lot to consider. We have gone thru a series of person losses and looking to make some great family memories.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Posted by
11304 posts

What month will you travel? Matters for the heat issue.

Posted by
11160 posts
  1. Hoping for good public transportation
  2. Would love to rent a home or villa

Getting both in one location will be a challenge

For forum members to make a suggestion for a home or villa, knowing how many are on the trip would be helpful

Posted by
2188 posts

If prices are a minor issue Copenhagen and Stockholm are your places to be. Would normally add Berlin but it can be really hot - depending on time of travel. Also a legal restriction on short-term renting houses / apartments.

Posted by
16191 posts

How many people, and what time of year? Are you thinking of a major city with museums, restaurants, plays, etc., or a small town or village in a scenic spot for hiking, boat or train excursions, and local festivals?

When you say “villa” I think “Italy”, which would not be a problem with the heat if you go in April or October. So timing is very important.

And is there any one language that might work better than others?

Posted by
27063 posts

Please tell us what time of year. It's impossible to take weather into consideration without knowing your timing.

Posted by
15579 posts

Dublin hardly ever gets much above 75. Lots to see and do in the city and you can find day tours to some lovely places. Not sure about finding good food though. Unless you want to go between November and March, I can't think of anywhere that would guarantee no hot temps. A week-long heat wave is possible almost anywhere, as we've seen in the last couple of years. Spain, Portugal and Italy have mild winters and early springs.

Posted by
32713 posts

Please tell us what time of year.

75 F is extremely mild, anywhere, these days. Manchester UK, Memphis and DC all were over 100F last year.

Are you considering a winter trip?

I know a lot of people have asked, but you've been back since only to tell us you only speak English. If you don't help us help you it is very hard to help you.

Posted by
4037 posts

For any group larger than four, negotiate an advance agreement on going your separate ways to follow different interests. I stress the advance part of the suggestion, to avoid resentments that could still be simmering come next Thanksgiving. My friends and I share the evening meal recounting our adventures during the day.

Posted by
16191 posts

If you would just please tell us how many people, and what time of year, we can make some meaningful suggestions.

I only asked about language in case anyone in your group had a second language they studied in school ( French, Spanish, etc.) which might tend to favor certain areas.

Posted by
40 posts

Amsterdam in the fall would be fun. You can rent a house, easy transportation, plenty of museums. Check out the RS book for a great and easy day trip doing the day trip to Hoorn and Enkhuizen on the Historic Triangle train/boat route.

London is also pretty flexible for a family, but your person in Manchester might not be too excited about that option.

Siena or Florence could be an option as well. Both are quite pleasant in the shoulder months, and easy to take day trips with some or all of your group.

Don't put it off! And don't worry about finding the perfect option. You're going to make great family memories no matter where you are.