Please sign in to post.

Traveling with a CPAP

I'm interested in advice from anyone who has traveled to Europe on a RS tour and toted a CPAP machine with them. I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible. I just started using a CPAP and can't imagine foreign travel with one. Any advice or warnings would be appreciated.

Posted by
5697 posts

Yes, I hauled a CPAP around on a 6-week Christmas markets trip in 2019 -- not as hard as I had feared. Distilled water is available and cheap in many grocery stores / drugstores -- buy it and leave it rather than adding to your Intercity luggage. (And tap water works in a pinch, just clean the machine when you get home.) Carry an extension cord to make it easier to place the CPAP next to your bed even if the electrical outlet is in an awkward location.

Posted by
13808 posts

If you are worried about the suggestion for carry on luggage and wondering how you can organize your CPap, don’t fret. You just have to be able to manage your bags yourself and sometimes have to walk a bit to get to a hotel. The tours are on a regular sized coach so there is plenty of room in the luggage bays.

You might need an extension cord in case there are not conveniently located plugs...but maybe one of the folks who travels with one will weigh in on that.

Posted by
32171 posts

I've travelled with a CPAP machine on shorter trips and so far no problems. In most cases you'll be able to take the machine as carry on and it's not included in the usual carry on limit. You'll need to remove the machine from the carrying case when going through security, and place it in the bin. As I recall, a limited amount of distilled water in excess of the normal limits for liquids is allowed.

You will of course need plug adapters specific to the country you're visiting, and you'll also need to verify that the machine is rated for operation from 100 - 240 VAC. As someone else suggested, an extension cord is also a good idea.

Posted by
6173 posts

Assuming your machine is dual voltage, don't bring an extension cord for it. Buy one in Europe to avoid running 240 V through an extension cord designed for 120 V.

Posted by
11053 posts

It should come in a soft pack briefcase style case. Easy to take along. My spouse has taken it all over the world, Asia, S. America, Europe multiple times for many years and can not travel without it. It does not get counted as one of your carry on pieces.

Posted by
2338 posts

Travelling with CPAP sounds daunting when you are new to it, but it will become routine.
I have used and traveled with it for 10 years. I eventually discovered that I only need humidification during the coldest/driest part of winter, so I took that part off, and pack the rest into my carryon with other necessities. I bought an extension cord in Spain that I can use anywhere in Europe, though there have been surprisingly few hotel rooms that didn't have a convenient outlet.

Rick Steves tours require that you handle your luggage yourself and I do that by using a rolling backpack for my carryon and checking a 22" roller. When necessary I can even do stairs.

Posted by
41 posts

Hi!
To add to what the others have said. Please check with the airline. TAP Airlines counts the CPAP/BIPAP as part of your carry on allowance unless you fill out their medical forms. ( I think they thought I needed to use it during my flight, not just carry it. If you need to use it during the flight you will need to fill out the medical forms) Unlike Southwest or Jet Blue in the States who do not count it. The medical forms for TAP were very extensive and it was just easier to me to count it as my carryon. No one opened the bag during my trip coming or going. I do keep an up to date prescription in the bag just in case. I also brought a power adapter for Europe and extension cord. The local pharmacies carry distilled water if you need the humidifier. Good luck!

I have been using CPAP machines for many years now and I have traveled with my CPAP machine to many places. I prefer to use the ResMed AirMini Travel CPAP machine because it is small and very convenient to travel with. If you to know which CPAP machine is best for traveling then you can refer to the article below
https://www.thecpapshop.com/blog/traveling-with-cpap-machines/
This article has helped me a lot to know many new things about traveling with CPAP machines.

Posted by
407 posts

I will second the recommendation for the ResMed AirMini Travel CPAP machine. I got mine in October, 2021 and have taken it on a couple of domestic trips so far and I have to say, it is wonderful. I still use my big CPAP machine at home but having this small travel CPAP is worth the money (almost $1000 USD) to me. The best thing about it is that I can fit it into my carry-on without having to have a separate bag for the CPAP since it is so small.