Please sign in to post.

Traveling to France, Switzerland or Austria in Jan 2022 (Covid-related topic)

Hey folks, I have a 15 day trip coming up and I have the choice of visiting any of these 3 beautiful destinations. I've been to all three in the past. But I'm curious, where would you opt to go to, given the current cases/restrictions?

I am currently booked for arriving in Paris. However, I could make arrangements to arrive in Zurich and head for Bern, Geneva, Zermatt, etc. Or Arrive in Munich and head to Salzburg, Innsbruck, Vienna etc.

Current plan was to go Paris, and spend a few days in Bordeaux, and back to Paris for museums, cafes, etc.

With that said I'm a bit concerned about France locking down, or adding further restrictions.

Any educated guesses from any of you fellow travelers?

Thanks

Posted by
6113 posts

Personally, I wouldn’t take any trip in January with the Omicron variant currently rampaging through Europe, which is why I have cancelled my January holiday to the Canary Islands.

Countries are going to do their best not to enter into full lockdowns due to the economic impact, but further restrictions are possible, especially for cafes, restaurants, theatres, museums etc.

Of your three options, Austria seems to have the fewest Covid cases (although as most countries have experienced, a lot can change in a week).

I don’t know anyone who isn’t triple vaccinated, but I know more people who have or have had Covid in the past 10 days than at any time in the past 2 years and two people have been very unwell, one in France just avoiding hospitalisation. She has no idea how she caught it. Don’t believe all the comments about Omicron being like a minor cold.

It’s not a relaxing time to be travelling.

Posted by
2669 posts

I just read that the Swiss gov. is holding a special session tomorrow (Friday, Dec. 31) and is considering more possible restrictions, like bar and restaurant closures. Currently, to enter Switzerland you need to be vaccinated and tested. You would need to apply for the covid certificate, which costs 30 CHF, to enter bars and restaurants.

I am not up to date on the current restrictions for France and Austria, but I do have this webpage bookmarked for a trip to Austria I have planned for next year:

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Good luck!!

Posted by
3098 posts

With all the flights being canceled due to insufficient staff (pilots, flight attendants, check-in people, etc.), do you really want to be traveling so far right now? Our neighbors just went to Calif. for Christmas and the flights home were canceled so many times (United, I think but not sure) so they rented a car at great expense and drove home in some of the worst road conditions the west coast has seen. . .

Not really directly relevant to flying from Miami to Europe, except that flights can be canceled there too. It is just not a good time for a pleasure trip.

Posted by
10 posts

@Carrie

Where did you read about the announcement for Switzerland? I'm on the look out!

Posted by
32202 posts

Some countries also have a "time limit" on vaccinations. In some cases, any vaccinations older than six months won't be accepted. This is not a good time to be travelling abroad, especially as the rules seem to be changing often.

Posted by
2669 posts

Carlos, the Swiss gov. had their meeting and decided not to take further actions at this time.

After having considered various aspects, the Federal Council has
decided to forgo further measures for the time being. . . . The
Federal Council intends to take further measures, including the
closure of certain structures, only if absolutely necessary. However,
a package of restrictions is already ready; should the situation in
hospitals deteriorate further or if new data emerge, the Federal
Council will be able to act quickly.

The full press release can be viewed here:

https://www.admin.ch/gov/it/pagina-iniziale/documentazione/comunicati-stampa/comunicati-stampa-consiglio-federale.msg-id-86681.html

Regarding vaccines in Switzerland, they are currently valid for 365 days after the last dose.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/covid-zertifikat/covid-zertifikat-erhalt-gueltigkeit.html

Here is the link to apply for the covid certificate:

https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign

Posted by
10 posts

Carrie thank you so much for the wonderful information!

We're confirmed to arrive in Paris Jan 4 and back to Miami Jan 19. Now we're figuring out the itinerary. A. We stay within France, or B. We get on the TGV-liria to Basel which is under 3 hours.

Thank you!

Posted by
343 posts

We're confirmed to arrive in Paris Jan 4 and back to Miami Jan 19. Now we're figuring out the itinerary. A. We stay within France, or B. We get on the TGV-liria to Basel which is under 3 hours.
Blockquote

I don't think there will be much of a difference, to be honest. If Switzerland isn't going to impose further restrictions and France already has (health passes are now vaccine passes) then decide based on what you want to do.

We were in the Alsace region of France two weeks ago and the QR code health pass is used everywhere. So be sure your vaccinations are within 6 months (2 months if J&J). Be sure you know the details of your travel insurance policy, and make a plan B in case someone comes down with COVID. Bring some rapid tests with you so you can test yourselves during the trip.

We had a nice time, although we were only there on a stopover from a work trip and had 4 days in the region.

Posted by
2669 posts

Keep in mind that the rules/restrictions are constantly changing. The Swiss gov. meets again on Wednesday and could adopt new restrictions at that time or any time in the future. So, be sure to keep checking even when you arrive in whatever country you decide on. Good luck!!

Posted by
7661 posts

I have cancelled my plans for us to visit Europe this YEAR. Too many restrictions.

Also, I would never go to Switzerland and Austria (or that part of Europe) in January due to the weather. It is dark at 4:30pm and you can get significant snowfall in Switzerland and Austria, inhibiting travel.