Please sign in to post.

Traveling in Europe for a couple of months in 2016

Just wondering about traveling around France for a couple of months and getting a rental car. What car companies should we look for? Also, what is the best credit cards to use while in Europe that do not charge huge fees? Thanks

Posted by
6489 posts

Auto Europe is a US-based broker that offers multiple options from different companies. We've had good experiences with them on several trips, renting from Hertz and Europcar. You could use the Auto Europe website to look at options and scenarios, then check the prices they quote against the websites of the companies themselves. You can usually rent from one location and return to another without a dropoff fee as long as they're in the same country (this includes trips where you've taken it to and from other countries). So if you want to spend a little time in Germany or Italy or Spain on your trip you'll be fine, just bring the car back to France. As you probably know, having a car in Paris is much more nuisance than help, so time your rental for when you're not there. Also, airports commonly charge big fees to rental companies which they pass on to you, so you can save by picking up the car somewhere else.

An International Driving Permit is a good idea, whether or not required by law or by rental companies. It's simply a certification, in multiple languages, of the validity of your own driver's license. This can save a lot of problems if you should have an accident or get pulled over for a violation. IDPs good for a year (starting when you specify) can be obtained from AAA offices all over the US for about $15-25, depending on whether you supply the photograph or have them take it.

MasterCard and Visa are accepted all over Europe, except by some small businesses and/or for small purchases. What fees you might incur depend on who issues your card. The big US banks commonly charge a few dollars or a small percentage for currency conversion. The "search" feature on this board will bring you multiple threads comparing card issuers.

It's a good idea to use a debit card tied to your checking account for getting euros or other currencies at ATMs in Europe. Using a credit card to get cash this way amounts to a high-interest loan from the card issuer, as opposed to drawing directly from your own account. Your bank may also charge you small fees for these transactions too, which is why it's often a good idea to make each withdrawal as large as your bank allows -- the fewer draws, the fewer fees.

This is more than you asked but it may be useful. Others will follow, no doubt, with strong opinions and experiences especially about credit card choices.

Posted by
8125 posts

If you're going for 2 months, you should consider going through AutoEurope.com and leasing a car for 2 months. Last time I checked, the lease came with zero deductible comp and collision insurance, and young drivers and older people are covered. The rate was about $23 per day on a 85 day rental period on a Renault or Citreon picked up and returned in France. You can return the car in just about any large European city for a surcharge. All maintenance is included, too.
The best credit card to use in Europe is the Capital One card as they give you 100% of the currency conversion every day the card's used. Some cards discount credit card purchases--charging a premium in lieu of a transaction fee.
I try to charge everything I can in local currency. If i get cash, I use a credit union ATM card that comes without service charges. Many banks will charge you for use of the ATM cards. My Wells Fargo ATM charges $5.00 per transaction and 3% surcharge.

Posted by
11294 posts

If you're looking at AutoEurope, look at Kemwel as well. These used to be separate companies; they are now under one umbrella, but can still have different rates (Kemwel was MUCH cheaper for my Sicily trip in 2014).

Beware that while AutoEurope (ending in E) is reliable, there are many reports of trouble with AutoEuropa (ending in A). Be sure you have the good one!

And if by "a couple of months" you mean more than 90 days, be sure you investigate the many threads about the Schengen rules! If you are traveling on a US passport and are staying less than 90 days, no problem. Otherwise, potential trouble.

Posted by
15576 posts

Capital One does not charge me fees for foreign transactions and the rates never seem to include conversion fees. Be careful - sometimes when using a US card you are given the choice of conversion to dollars or debit in the local currency. Always choose local currency - the conversion will gouge you - has nothing to do with your card issuer. Capital One is now issuing chip cards and replacing existing cards. Many machines in Europe do not accept US cards without a chip.

Also very important is to have a no-fee ATM card. You'll need fairly large amounts of cash over two months.

Things to know about driving in France:

• You need to have an IDP for every driver. You may never be asked for it, but you still need it.
  • The blood alcohol limit is lower than the US - 0.05%.
  • Speeding incurs severe fines and many roads have cameras.
  • You are expected to know the laws, including speed limits. They aren't always posted and they are lower when it's raining.
  • Get GPS. Back roads are not well-signed and towns are not always easy to navigate. You can also buy good Michelin road maps once you get to France.