Please sign in to post.

traveling from Amsterdam to Italy

I am going to Amsterdam this Fall 2018. I wanted to try and get to Cinque Terre but not sure that is feasible. I only have 7 days and going to Paris as well. Any suggestions? Or is it better to book a trip to Rome, Italy another time to get the most out of the trip to Cinque Terre, Italy. Thanks!

Posted by
3039 posts

With 7 days, you must be selective if you wish to have a pleasant trip. Plan for 3 days in Amsterdam. I'd drop Italy, and do that a different time. Things that are closer are the D-day battlefields in the N of France, Belgium, N Germany. Have you looked at the Rick Steves itinerary planning maps?

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/netherlands/itinerary

This gives good suggestions.

A 7 day trip is 2 stops at the max, in my travels. You would be even well-served by 1 stop and day trips.

Posted by
11247 posts

Amsterdam or Paris could certainly entertain and stimulate you for the entire week. Pick one or the other for a relaxed pace or split your time between the two for a faster pace. Save Italy for the future.

Posted by
26 posts

Combining Amsterdam with Cinque Terre is possible. Flights between Rotterdam and Pisa are very cheap. But also adding Paris within 7 days is not feasible. So you'll have to choose between Cinque Terre and Paris.

Posted by
1825 posts

Seven days and what I'm guessing is your first trip to Europe and coming from N. America? Fly into Amsterdam, take a train to Paris and fly home. You can probably find direct flights to and from both those cities or at least a lot of them and the train connection is fast and easy. With a short trip don't waste time with extra traveling, connections or day trips, there is so much to see and do in those two cities.

Posted by
4761 posts

Is it feasible; as in, is it physically possible? Sure. Does that mean it's a smart thing to do? That would be a big no.

Skip CT, and do it as part of a longer Italy trip at a later date. Even combining A'dam and Paris means short changing Paris.

Posted by
11033 posts

Or is it better to book a trip to Rome, Italy another time to get the most out of the trip to Cinque Terre,

Yes!