Please sign in to post.

traveling alone

I am a 26 year old woman and I will be traveling alone this summer for a small amount of time. I will be with friends around Rome and Florence for 10 days then I will start 8 days of solo travel. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to travel and/or places to stay? I have done a lot of research and know that I need to be aware of my surroundings, etc but am having trouble finding much reliable information about specific places that are safest traveling alone.

Posted by
1446 posts

Lauren, I would say you can be safe traveling alone just about anywhere, but you might be more comfortable in some places than others. Our then 21 y/o daughter took off on her own (from us) for part of a trip, and when down to Rome and Venice. I was nervous, but she handled it quite well, and it was an excellent experience for her. If you want to feel really safe, and see some great scenery, and experience a different culture you could head up to the Berner Oberland in Switzerland. The Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen would be an awesome place to be on your own I would think, and hiking could be done very easily and safely on your own, as most of the more popular hikes are fairly well groomed, and well traveled. I would think you would be very safe, and have fun in Switzerland, Germany or Austria. Not to say you couldn't be safe in Italy or France. I just think Italian men especially might tend to be a little more forward with you.

Posted by
32214 posts

lauren, I agree with the previous reply that you'll likely be safe regardless of where you travel. I'd suggest choosing more on the basis of which locations you're most interested in visiting. Do you have to return to Rome or Florence at the end of the eight days, or will you be flying home? If returning home, which airport will you be using? The answers to those questions will have a bearing on where you can realistically visit for eight days. The Berner Oberland would be a good location to consider, although keep in mind that anywhere in Switzerland tends to be "pricey". As you'll be in Florence, you could also consider the Cinque Terre (although eight days would be a bit much). Were you planning to stay in Hostels or Hotels? Staying in Hostels has some advantages, as you may be able to find someone else to take day tours with. You might find it very helpful to read the chapter on "Women Travelling Alone" in Europe Through The Back Door as there are lots of good tips there. Happy travels!

Posted by
8688 posts

What is it that you want to see? More of Italy? Somewhere different? Where are you flying home from? The great thing about Europe is you can have breakfast in one country, lunch in another and late meal in a 3rd country. I've traveled solo for over 40 years and enjoyed every moment. Safety is common sense and thinking ahead. Love to give you an idea where to travel but need to hear what your interest are. As far as accommodations, I am hooked on using airbnb anywhere I travel.

Posted by
1806 posts

Hard to make a suggestion until you provide the additional information of whether you are looking to spend the 8 days of solo travel in Italy or you want to go to another country (and if you did want to head to another country, are you needing to get back to Rome to fly home, or have you not bought a plane ticket yet so you could potentially fly open jaw and go home from another city/country?). If it's 8 days solo in Italy, I would suggest about 3-4 days in Venice if you have never been there and then explore some of the beaches and small towns along the Adriatic for a change of pace before heading back to Rome to fly home. If you are able to fly open jaw from another country and you want to go somewhere else for the 8 days other than Italy, I would suggest looking at what your options are for low-cost flights from Italy. Other than you may encounter some pickpockets working the tourist areas and public transit in places like Rome/Florence, and a few Italian men who might hit on you in a nightclub or direct some harmless cat calls & whistles towards you as you walk down the street, Italy is pretty safe for a solo female.

Posted by
11294 posts

"but am having trouble finding much reliable information about specific places that are safest traveling alone." That's because your search is based on an incorrect assumption - that there are places that are inherently dangerous to visit alone, but that are safe when traveling with others. As said, any place you would want to see in Europe is "safe," whether seen alone or with others. The risks in Europe are things like pickpocketing and purse-snatching, and these can happen no matter how many people you're with. (In fact, when you're talking with friends, you're more easily distracted by them, and better prey for a pickpocket). Unless you plan to go to housing projects outside of major cities, or walk down dark alleys alone at night, you won't be in special physical danger. Unlike in the US, the tourist areas of major European cities are almost always safe ones. And, they don't "close" after work hours - people live in the center, and with all the open restaurants, there's lots of foot traffic until well after dinner (which in much of Europe means until 11 PM or later). Of course, you will do sensible things to be safe. You will stay in central areas, where there's lots of activity in the evening. You will be careful at nightclubs, where drinks can be ed and men can indeed be up to no good. You will take a cab at night if you feel uncomfortable on mass transit. You will always have the card from your hotel with you, so you can just get in a cab and show it to the driver if you're ever lost. As for traveling alone, some feel more comfortable in large cities, where there's always lots of people around. Others like smaller towns, where you aren't in such a crush and can feel more relaxed. Personal preference. EDIT: "drinks can be alter - ed" (the first part of the word gets deleted for some reason).

Posted by
590 posts

I have traveled alone all over Europe and I have never felt unsafe. Go wherever you want to go. I stay in hostels or couchsurf and I have always met up with other people when I want some company. I actually prefer to travel alone then with friends because I find I meet a lot more people when solo.

Posted by
3049 posts

As others have mentioned, Europe in general is safe, but if you want to feel extremely secure, Germany is ridiculously safe. Despite the prolific drinking culture, local men and boys tend to keep their hands and eyes to themselves, and street harassment is really uncommon here. Austria is much the same, and I have heard similar things about Switzerland.