Please sign in to post.

Traveling alone

I have a trip to Italy planned for Sept. 1-11th 2010, my travel partner (daughter-in-law) is now not going. Should I go alone? I'm staying at a B&B near the airport (DaVinci) but far from Rome, I'll be taking alot of taxi's. just looking for tips and suggestions.

Thanks anyone,
Donna

Posted by
9110 posts

Of course you should. The problem is that you're staying too far out. Change if you can. Walk, ride the metro, mix it up with the hoi polloi. You miss too much riding taxis. You'll be fine.

Both of my daughters did a year abroad in school. Neither hesitated to strike off on their own if they couldn't find somebody to go with.

My wife and I have vastly different interests, especially in the cities. We often split after morning coffee and never meet again until supper. I never worry about her.

Posted by
276 posts

As far as I'm concerned, traveling alone is the only way to go! You can go where YOU want to go, stay as long as YOU want to stay...I love traveling with my sister, but we worry so much about trying to accommodate each other that neither of us is completely satisfied.

I agree with Ed about staying in Rome itself. At one time I was nervous about traveling alone to Rome, so much so that I skipped it on my first solo trip to Italy. But when I got around to it a few years later, I found Rome to be unintimidating (I know, not really a word) and very charming with lots of interesting little neighborhoods. I stayed on Via Firenza which is nice, cenral and safe . As Rick says in his book, "The Defense Ministry is nearby, and you've got heavily armed guards all night." Not that you feel the need of armed guards:) I stayed at Hotel Seiler; it was nice enough, but the rooms were a little dark and dreary. There are several other hotels on the same block that are a little more upscale but I don't think they are much more expensive.

I hope you decide to go for it!

Posted by
5678 posts

Go! Traveling solo is a real treat. The first time I traveled solo was due to a mix up in plans and I learned early on how great it could be. If you fond that you are lonely sign up for a day tour. Don't be afraid to eat in nice restaurants as well as cafes.

Pam

Posted by
463 posts

yes, definitely go. since you are staying at a B&B, and it is not until september, you should be able to cancel your lodging and stay somewhere more central, as suggested by others above. if you are nervous about traveling on your own, do some solo day trips around where you live--go to the nearest metro area for a day and be a tourist by yourself. you'll be surprised at how comfortable it is. definitely start going out to dinner with yourself now--you'll be an old pro by the time you arrive in rome. have a great trip!!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Donna, I have not done Rome solo, but have literally just returned( night before last) from a 3 week trip to London( 5 days) and Paris( 15 days). Of those days I spent four nights total visiting some relatives.

LOVED my time solo in both cities. In both case relatives lived outside cities ( at least an hour) so commuting back and forth for sightseeing was not feasible, which is why I CHOSE to spend so much of my time solo . Its the only way to go.

Do change accomadation. I always choose nice central locations for hotels,, good areas with transport options close by. It makes a world of difference. I would not choose to stay outside cities and taxi back and forth.

I am middle aged woman, happily married etc,, but solo travel is a real treat for me.. so relaxing in that I get to plan my days exactly as I choose,, and if I want to stop for ice cream twice in one day,, whose to raise an eyebrow. LOL

Posted by
1158 posts

I would say you must go. Despite of what other people believe, traveling alone is not a problem. I have traveled alone many time, just 2 years ago in Italy as well.
One of the things American women get struck by is that if you are a good looking lady, guys might hit on you and many here consider that sexual haressment. I myself am fine with that,actually I like it. lol. Other that enjoy Europe!
Taking a taxi often in Italy will be very exepensive.
You also can use their public transportation. It's EUR 4 per day for unlimited rides on bus/subway/tram.
I would change that B&B rezervation if you can and stay in the city somewhere.

Posted by
9110 posts

My first comments had to do with the woman-alone business since I figured that was your concern.

Now, I've got to join the chorus on the solo travel aspect.

Most of my travel is with my absolutely great wife. When she can't go, has no interest in the destination or activity, or lets me off the leash, I travel with a buddy. When he finks out, I go alone. This happens about twice a year. Since Thanksgiving I've spent a couple of weeks hiking in Wales (with an uniterrupted hornswagled day in the back rooms of the national museum in Cardiff) and almost a month in Tierra del Fuego. Both were the usual great experiences and I didn't have to resort to a mirror to have somebody to talk to. Alone is not the same as lonely.

There's a girls-only trip looming for late summer or early fall. It will undoubtedly materialize, so I'm going to slip off to the eastern Med where she won't go, my buddy has seen enough of, and I speak scarcely a word of the local lingo.

Solo is just one more way to travel. Don't miss it.

Posted by
354 posts

I agree with the others, Donna. Change your accommodation if you can. The suggestion about joining a day tour if you need company is a good one, or you could consider hiring a guide too. Ron in Rome, for instance, one of the veterans on this board. Choose a safe, friendly B&B /hotel in a safe location. Your B&B host/ hotel owner can usually offer good advice on what to do, where to eat, what to avoid. Is it your first time to Rome? It can be a little overwhelming at first, but also hugely enjoyable. Oh, and read the 'women traveling solo' section in Travel Tips on this very same site, and invest in a good guidebook ... you know whose.

Posted by
796 posts

Hi Donna. I also recommend that you go. Last year my brother backed out of a trip to Paris with me. I had a fantastic time. I did a lot of pre-planning at home; I didn't always keep to my planned schedule but it helped me to relax to have plans made. I did stop often for coffee or a glass of wine at cafes, outdoor when the weather allowed. I took my journal with me and caught up on it at the cafe; a 5 Euro coffee or glass of wine for an endless time to people watch, journal, check my guidebook, listen to others patrons conversations at the cafe was one of the favorite parts of my trip. One afternoon, while at my neighborhood cafe in Paris, there was a demonstration (peaceful) against the government and their handling of immigrants; it was fascinating to watch hundreds of people walk by with banners, flags, horns, drums, etc. Many of them stopped at the cafe for a drink, GREAT people watching. I took some pictures from my seat at the cafe, most didn't turn out well, just a bunch of people walking by, but the memories flood back when I look at them.

Another good part of being alone was that I could shop for as long as I wanted! I love open air markets, and I went to several on that trip alone. If you can find some food markets, I would recommend going. I didn't always buy anything, but the atmosphere was great. I spent some time clothes shopping on a rainy day; I can't imagine that my brother would have been patient with that!!!

I went to dinner early and then relaxed in my room in the later evening (I usually had a walk after dinner but my feet were probably sore from all the walking during the day). When I went to dinner early, a couple of times I ended up chatting with other English speaking patrons, that helped with any loneliness I might have felt. I also chatted with the hotel staff a bit. I found an English bookstore and bought a couple of books to read; that helped fill the evening too.

Have a great time on your trip.

Posted by
446 posts

A disadvantage of traveling alone is that you can't split hotel bills with somebody else, which can make it a little more expensive. But, unless you are a person who gets lonely with no friends around, traveling alone has advantages, too.

One valuable advantage is that it is easier to meet the locals if you are not with another tourist. In my case, for example, I speak French and Spanish, which I learned in college a number of years ago. But, it's hard to practice a foreign language if you are always with an English-speaking friend who doesn't know the foreign language.

Posted by
4535 posts

Unless you're the type that gets super lonely by yourself, do it. Europe is excellent for solo travel. Do try to stay in the city. And don't worry about eating alone. Restaurants seem more hospitable to solo dining than in the US and you can always bring a book or day journal to pass the time while waiting for your meal.

Posted by
32222 posts

Donna,

I have two suggestions to begin with....

First, don't worry about going alone - take the trip! Plan your touring carefully and you'll be so busy you won't have time to think about it.

Second, change your lodgings and stay right in Rome. While the B&B might be somewhat less expensive, it will cost you a lot getting back and forth to Rome. The Leonardo Express is Eu$14 each way, and Taxi's will be considerably more expensive.

I'm currently in Europe and although I was with a group earlier in the trip, I'm alone now. I find that I don't have a problem chatting with people and for the most part not lonely at all.

I've been in Rome twice (by myself) in the last month or so. Both times I stayed in the vicinity of Termini station (once in a Hostel). It's nice to have the selection of restaurants and stores, as well as all the other sights being close by. Keep in mind that the B&B will provide breakfast, but you'll be on your own for lunch and dinner. If there are no restaurants nearby, that could be a problem.

Happy travels!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for your ideas, they are greatly appreciated, my reason for staying near the airport is; my early departure. I did have a hotel in Rome, until my travel partner bailed on me. My concern staying in Rome was getting transportation to the airport at 2am might not be a safe idea.

Thank you,
Donna Sisco

Posted by
10259 posts

In that case why don't you just stay near the airport the last night so you can get to the airport early? The rest of the nights you could spend in town, more convenient to the sights. I would hate to travel to and from the airport area for 10 days, just to be near there for the last night of the trip.

Posted by
11 posts

Donna,

I'm leaving for my first completely solo trip on July 2nd and I am SO excited. Definitely go on the trip and take the advice of the other poster to move to the airport hotel just the last night.

Just this afternoon my mother asked "doesn't it bother you to go that far away by yourself?" I told her absolutely not and that I'm so excited to be going it alone - I can do what I want, when I want.

-- Amy

Posted by
138 posts

I still haven not traveled alone, I have been on three Rick Steves tours (two of them I didn't know anyone else in the group.) I know what you are thinking, why am I posting on this thread?

Well, when the tour gives us "free time", I find that frequently prefer to head off alone! So I've been thinking a lot about this issue. If you are talking to your American friends, you can miss a lot of the atmosphere, you are less observant. And if it's my only day or days to be in a particular city, I want to go where I want and do what I want.

I have a friend who travels alone a great deal, and she really recommends hostels! She says you meet many more people at a hostel than you do at a hotel. (And she's no youngster). She says you should call and ask if it's a "party hostel" or not, because some of them are and some of them are not. She says at many of them you can get your own room.
Also, she said the hostel will connect you with all kinds of group day tours and so on.

BTW I agree that you should stay in a place right near the city, not away from the happenings.

Posted by
171 posts

I have never been to Rome but I have taken 4 trips to Germany and Austria by myself, and I totally love it and wouldn't want to do it any other way. For the last night before departure for home I usually find any old place to stay close to the airport, but definately not for the whole trip. Airport hotels are pretty crappy and over-priced, there are better places. Forget taxis - learn how to use public transportation. If it seems bewildering, find someone approachable and ask for help - people are surprisingly friendly and willing to help! It will be a whole new and exciting experince for you - go for it!

Posted by
6 posts

I thank all of you for responding, I have changed hotels I am now staying in Rome for most of my trip, last 2 nights near the airport....XOXOXO
Donna

Posted by
1832 posts

Donna, just returned from Rome 10 days ago. I stayed at Hotel Aberdeen near Termini on Via Firenze. I had to leave the hotel at 3:30 am to get my flight and they made arrangements for a car/driver for me. It was 10E extra for the early time and the driver drove 90 mph (150 kph), but I got there before check-in even opened up. I have been in Rome alone and had a great time. Felt very safe at this hotel which is near public transportation options and there are lots of food options around, too.

Posted by
32222 posts

I travel alone for a portion of each trip, and don't have any problem at all eating alone in restaurants. Some times after a busy day of touring, I value some "quiet time" to reflect on the day and plan for the next.

I've found that I'm usually only alone at dinner for a portion of the time, as I often visit with other people seated nearby.

Posted by
14580 posts

Mostly, but not always, I travel alone, whether the trip lasts 3 or 9 weeks. It's no big deal having dinner alone, be it in a train station, a hostel, or a good restaurant. One should never feel that it's necessary to duck back to the hotel with a pizza because one is alone. What about at breakfast you eat alone at the Pension, B&B, hostel, or hotel?

Posted by
6575 posts

I'm coming late to this party, but let me add my litany to the chorus advocating solo travel. I am a woman in my mid-50's and have been traveling solo for the past 15-20 years. While there are a few disadvantages (cost of a single room, wishing you had a companion to extoll the virtues of your trip), for the most part, a solo traveler has it made.

For one thing, you are focused entirely on your travels - you can enjoy an evening walk along a Mediterranean beach, or a peaceful morning spent strolling through the Campo de Fiori without the distraction of a companion's chatter.

For another, it makes it much easier to meet locals. I have met MANY more locals when traveling by myself, than I have with a companion. People have more of a tendency to strike up a conversation with a single person than a couple or group.

In London, I sat next to a couple who introduced themselves and spent over an hour telling me of the wonders of Scotland (it turned out he was a member of the Scottish Parlliament); in Italy, I met a Canadian couple on a train and wound up traveling with them to Venice; and in Turkey, I wound up making friends with a number of local characters.

Go! Travel solo (and by the way, learn to traverse the train and metro system in Rome - you'll save a lot of money on taxis and have a lot more fun!).

Posted by
14580 posts

Donna,

Why can't you travel alone...if the European women can do it, so can you!!

Yes, I am one of those with the European travel bug, had it ever since 1971 after the first time over there. Never recovered from it. I travel alone because no one travels with the same agenda as I have, above all, the same interests. And, the way I travel...most Americans are not going to put up with it.

Posted by
37 posts

Donna....I think you should do it! I have been considering it myself. My daughter went with me in January to Europe, but she is getting married and so I lost my travel buddy for the time being. I have been considering going alone, but with a tour group, as I can't come up with anyone that would go with me. I have thought of a couple of people that might go, but after thinking about their ten pieces of luggage and four tote bags.... I become discouraged to take them with! lol!I travel pretty light with my one carry on Rick Steves bag! Anyway, I hope you still go and would love to hear about your adventures and how it all went for you!
Karen

Posted by
42 posts

James-that's a great idea. Unfortunately knowing my luck we'd fight over who got the window seat.

Posted by
4 posts

Wow, all these California peeps on this post! I´m originally from Sacto. Came to Europe for a 3 month vacation last year...by myself...and ended up living here.
Do it. Do it. I am so excited for you. I made many new friends around Europe that would not have happened if I was too busy speaking in ENglish with a travel partner and not truly absorbing my surroundings. And in Rome, there will be tons of Americans there, so while you are sitting at a cafe by yourself, conversations will be started all the time with your cafe neighbors and you might just go and hang out with them for the afternoon. You never know, and thats what will be the most fun! It will be such a great time!
Your bonding time with your daughter in law can happen when she finally gives you some grandbabies! hahaha!
Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
138 posts

I have a friend who travels alone a lot, (and is trying to talk me into it!) She says that though she travels alone she is not alone much of the time, because the hotel or hostel (she prefers hostels) will give you info about day tours, that are actually with small groups. So if you get lonely, you can schedule some group activities.

Even if loneliness hits you, sometimes it will only last for an hour or so, and just a small conversation with a shopkeeper or the person at the next table....and you realize you are okay again....I'm so glad you have decided to continue on your trip!

Posted by
8 posts

I'm on a six week trek through Europe right now with a friend of mine. We've mostly stayed in hostels for the most part and it's amazing how many people you meet that are traveling alone. I turned 30 on this trip and my friend is 45, all of the best times we've had have been in hostels. Even though some say "youth hostel" it doesn't mean much... they'll sell a bed to anyone.

Depends on what you're into though, I don't think hostel life is for everyone but I've found it great for me. I think my next long trip to Europe will be one that I try to do alone, for the same reasons that many others have posted about prior to this post. Not that I'm saying I haven't had an awesome time with my buddy, just that it'd be cool to try it solo some day.

On another note, someone mentioned California people a few posts up... I've seriously found that 90% of the American folks I meet are from California. Heck, in the 4 weeks I've spent abroad, most of the people I run into speaking English, are either from California or Australia.

Posted by
8 posts

It does help to let people know where I'm from though...lol. When I say I'm from Oregon and they give me a bewildered look, I just say, "It's above California." and they all know where that's at. haha

Posted by
6 posts

It has nothing to do with being lonely...all I need is a good book. Saftey was my concern, but not any longer. All your responses have helped with that. Now I'm just looking forward to the trip with no worries.

Donna, Dixon, CA

Posted by
6 posts

I'm leaving for Italy on wed. 09/01/10, feeling alot of anxiety..hope to get over it on the plane..wish me well....

Posted by
11507 posts

Donna, have a great trip,, its an adventure you will remember always,, and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip. ps take some good books, crucial for me when alone!

Posted by
14580 posts

Donna, Have a most pleasant trip in Italy, be safe, and enjoy the sites!

Posted by
1976 posts

Have a great trip, Donna! Enjoy Rome! I've never traveled alone but you and all the other posters are giving me courage to do it (even though I would "only" be going to the UK).

Posted by
989 posts

Have a great trip! You just might find you really like traveling solo!

Posted by
2779 posts

Have a great trip. Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.