Please sign in to post.

travelers cheques

I've just heard that there are problems cashing ttravelers cheques in France. Is this true?

Posted by
9101 posts

"...debit/credit card does not work everywhere in Europe for payment for goods..." I use my MC debit card extensively for purchases as I like to earn miles. Except for the occasional automated machine that only accepts chip cards, not once has it been refused anywhere in Europe. It's not a good idea to use them for renting a car or for hotels, as a hold is placed on the funds in your checking account, until you check-out/return your car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7NgbJ1G30

Posted by
331 posts

Michael I cannot use my visa debit/credit card or my master card at Edeka (a German chain store) or at numerous other outlets here too many to list, but they include shoe shops, clothes shops, pet shops and restaurants. Is it because Rheinland Pfalz is not yet part of Europe?

Posted by
500 posts

Yes, don't bother with travelers checks, use ATMs to get cash. To avoid fees from US banks use a credit union or capital one ATM/debit card.

Posted by
5678 posts

Linda, if you'll do a search on this, you'll see that there are several posts on the topic that are fairly recent. Traveler's Checks don't work very well in the US any more either! Pam

Posted by
32219 posts

Linda, Traveller's Cheques are not a good idea anywhere in Europe! Even if someone will agree to cash them, the exchange rates and/or fees will probably be dreadful. ATM's are the easiest and most cost effective way to obtain cash in Europe. Note that for ATM use, your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. I would highly recommend taking a "backup" ATM card, in case there are problems with the primary card (it does happen!). At least one credit card is also a good idea. Happy travels!

Posted by
331 posts

A Visa or Mastercard debit/credit card does not work everywhere in Europe for payment for goods (accepted pretty well everywhere in Britain though) It's fine for getting cash out of a cash machine but not always to pay for your shopping/meal etc. Make sure you have enough cash on you, or at least that there is a cash machine within jogging distance! Can save you some embarrassing moments or obviate the necessity of leaving a restaurant via the toilet window!

Posted by
2876 posts

If a merchant displays a Visa or Mastercard decal they cannot refuse to accept those cards. Those are Visa's and Mastercard's rules. If a clerk in such a store refuses your card, you should ask for a manager or supervisor. If that doesn't work, you should report the merchant to Visa or Mastercard, which you can do online.

Posted by
9101 posts

Like I said, in my travels through Germany (and Europe) not once has my Debit card been refused for purchases at any merchant that readily accepts MC/Visa The entire selling point of these debits cards is that they are accepted wherever one sees the MC or Visa logo. ....ymmv.

Posted by
8950 posts

There are many establishments in Germany that do not accept any credit cards. One of the largest clothing stores, Peek and Cloppenburg, the largest electronic chain - Saturn, and many smaller restaurants and small stores. People here have EC cards, and they don't need a credit card. Tourists are going places that do accept credit cards. Obviously, if the store has a sign in the window or on the door that says they take visa, then of course they will. This is not the same as the entire chain not accepting credit cards.

Posted by
331 posts

Not all tourists will go places that accept credit cards. In Germany you don't have to go 'off the beaten track' to find that your credit card is not acceptable. It is normally accepted, but still a good idea to ask before you fill your shopping trolley. Many stores in Idar Oberstein for instance only accept EC cards, and many tourist buses stop here.

Posted by
1178 posts

NO!! to travelers cheques unless you want to bring them back home with you as a remembrance of your trip! Get some local currency at the ATM machine, or carry a reasonable amount with you and replenish it as needed. Some time ago I was finally able to get a bank to cash two $20 travelers checks -- they would not cash one $50 check however!! And they cashed the two only with great reluctance and with much hesitation.