Please sign in to post.

Travel to Europe June 2011 - Need advise on where to go

My husband and I are planning a 14 day trip in June of 2011. We have been to Europe before and have visited, London, Paris, Bruges, Rome, Venice, and Geneva. We are thinking about visiting Ireland and Germany. Any advise on those two locations and what are the best places to visit? Thanks!

Posted by
6647 posts

That's a good combination. Fly Ryanair cheap out of Dublin to Frankfurt Hahn and see The Rhine/Mosel, or into Memmingen and see some of Bavaria or the Black Forest, or into Berlin. What the best places are depends a lot on you.

Posted by
32212 posts

Liz,

There are LOTS of choices! It would help to have some idea on what your interests are (Museums, Art Galleries, etc.).

You may get some ideas on places that might interest you by checking a few Guidebooks at your local Library or bookstores, or having a look at Rick's PBS TV shows.

Two weeks is NOT a long time for travels in Europe, so choosing locations that are relatively close will minimize your travel times between places.

Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
1357 posts

I'll second what Russ and Ken have said. You need to spend at least one whole week in Ireland. For Germany, I'd pick one city/area and tour there, since you'll only have a few days left. You can check into flights and see what's easiest -- Frankfurt, Berlin, or Munich.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Liz,
I agree with Russ and Maureen. I recommend : read parts of the book "Rick Steves' Germany, 2011". That book is for people planning their first trip to Germany. If you want to see Medieval Germany, fly to Frankfurt -- ride in trains to the Rhine River (Bacharach, St. Goar, Marksburg castle). If you want to see good museums, Munich is a good choice. If you like big cities, go to Berlin.

Posted by
3428 posts

If you want to be a bit more effcient with your time, why not consider Austria and Germany. Fly into Vienna, stay 2 or 3 days. Train to Salzburg- 3 days. Train to Munich- 2 or 3 days. Train to either Berlin or Frankfurt- rest of time you have. Fly home from there.

Posted by
2367 posts

Are you locked into these two places? How about two countries next to each other/such as England/Ireland or Austria/Germany or Portugal/Spain. Might cut down on you airport travels a bit.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for such great advice. I will definitely read parts of the book "Rick Steves' Germany, 2011".

My husband and I are not yet locked into a place, but really would like to visit both locations. We may extend our stay to more than 14 days.

Russ and Ron mentioned the Rhine/Mosel area, which really appeals to our interest. We are not interested in visiting museums or big cities.

Posted by
32212 posts

Liz,

I spent some time touring the Rhine / Mosel area earlier this year, and that would be a great choice! I used Bacharach for a "home base" and took day trips to various other locations in the area, including Burg Eltz, St. Goar (via KD Boat) and Remagen (I was interested in the history).

Another possibility would be Germany and Austria. For a two week trip, Munich, Salzburg and Hallstatt would be a good combination. Hallstatt is a beautiful location, a great place to relax and a place with an interesting history (it's older than Rome, and famous for the Salt Mines).

Cheers!

Posted by
1717 posts

Liz, you said you and your husband decided to go to Ireland and Germany, in June of 2011. I agree with Maureen : plan to stay in Ireland for seven days. That would give you time for travelling to more than one section in Ireland. In Germany, being at only one section in Germany can be quite satisfactory. Flying to Frankfurt, staying in Germany four full days (after the day of flight to Frankfurt airport), I recommend : Overnight accomodation at either Bacharach or St. Goar (at the Rhine River). Day one : Ride on a K-D ship on the Rhine River, from Bingen to St. Goar. And, that day, before the ship ride, a possibility : ride on a ferry boat across the river from Bingen to Rudesheim, there ride on a lift up to the Niederwald Monument, and see a view of the ruined castle that is at that side of the river. Return to Bingen, ride on a K-D ship to St. Goar. Day 2 : Visit the Castle Marksburg at Braubach.

Posted by
15 posts

I spent about that amount of time in Munich, Salzburg, and then Lauterbrunnen in the Swiss Alps with a car rental. It was an awesome trip. I'll be glad to share more info with you.

Posted by
4 posts

I agree with Russ, fly into Frankfurt hahn with Ryanair and spend a few days travelling the length of the Mosel river. Bernkastel Kusel on the Mosel is a wonderful medieval town and Burg Elz near Cochem is unmissable for me.

Posted by
10 posts

I agree with the folks suggesting the Austria/Germany combo. A few days each in Vienna and Salzburg and then onto Munich and finish with Berlin.