Please sign in to post.

travel photography

hello all,

one big reason i travel is to indulge in my photography hobby. though i am a professional cinematographer and teach the subject, when it comes to stills i am purely a non-pro. i figured it might be interesting to start a thread to discuss our collective photography experience; tip & tricks, gear, perfect time and spots, and fun or not-so-fun photo-related stories. curious to find out if this subject will have any legs.

to start off my current camera is a sony a7iv and i have two lenses, a 12-24 gm and 24-70 gm. i am torn about buying the 70-200 gm. my bag is a diy 'converted' messenger bag with a wide zipped 'lid'. while great image quality is possible with a similar package the downside is weight. i got calluses on my shoulders from my summer trip which are just now fully faded! one thing i do in the 'tips and tricks' category is to go out very early in the morning so as to catch the low morning sunlight and shoot before people start to populate the 'frame'.

would love to hear your take!

Posted by
1184 posts

alomaker, you will find more photography discussions in the "Technology Tips" section. Anyways, here's my stuff.

c. 1995 - Canon Elan II film SLR, 50 mm, 28-105 mm, Speedlight flash, Manfroto tripod, plus Sony 8mm camcorder in two camera bags, plus a diaper bag all strung on back of an umbrella stroller with baby as a counterweight to keep the rig from flipping backwards. Printed thousands of photos. Only the first few years are organized in photo albums. The rest are still in the original photo finishing envelopes stacked in several kitchen drawers. I only shot videos during the toddler years. I converted all the videotapes to digital format before the old camcorder finally crapped out.

c. 2008 - Canon Rebel XS DSLR 18-55mm, 55-250mm (which I rarely carried) plus small point and shoot in single camera bag (I stopped printing photos and only viewed digital photos on screen; all digital photos are organized by date).

c. 2014 - Canon Rebel XS DSLR 24 mm in a neoprene ever-ready camera cover (by using single prime lens, I had to zoom with my feet to get the composition I wanted).

c. 2015 - Canon S120 (so much lighter than DSLR. The S120 has exposure compensation control and a few other semi-pro features to get creative. In dim light situation, I would set up camera on any flat surface and use timer to get a sharp shot. Favorite thing to do was to lay camera on floor to shoot upwards to get shot of church ceilings. I would probably still use this camera, but I dropped it last year and the flash stopped working. I usually avoid using flash except in very harsh sunlight to get rid of shadows in the faces. However, I can't trust that everything else is working properly after the drop.)

2022 - Pixel 3a phone, plus a phone holder mounted on a tiny pocket tripod and a power bank to keep phone charged up during the day (I am going to Spain next month, first big vacation without a dedicated camera).

Posted by
7243 posts

I had a Nikon wonderful manual camera in college and did darkroom photography, etc. for several years.

Fast forward to my retirement years - I use my phone as my travel camera. Tips & Tricks: I also go out early for the same reasons. Also, some of my trips since retirement have been solo trips which are perfect for photography- no one else waiting, and I can return to a spot and take photos if I would like a chance for better options. My other tip for readers is slow down before taking the first photo at a spot and look through the lens for alternate framing of a subject - not just the usual types.

Posted by
3211 posts

Not interested in hauling a lot of gear on my travels. Use my iphone 11 and purchased a used Nikon P1000 for safari trip. Worked great, got some shots I am satisfied with, did not have to carry or change lenses.

Posted by
556 posts

My hobby is photography and of course also when I'm traveling. Not always easy to carry all that stuff :-)
My current camera is a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. Since I'm doing from architecture, animals (wildlife), landscape till milky way everything (except people and street) lots of different lenses (Canon L/Sigma Art), a tripod (Novoflex) and several neutral density filters (Nisi) waiting to be used. My bag is from Gitzo (the big one) and I'm using the App PhotoPills for planning my trips/milky way shootings.

For me that means standing up early, staying up late, going out in the middle of the night, sitting in the burning sun (yap a way of making a different kind of pictures), walking for miles, waiting for hours, always beeing still at a spot when all the other photographers left already, lying on the ground and getting dirty or climbing many stairs. And it also means just trying out things which are unusual and not according to the rules.

Luckily my husband sharing this hobby otherwise it would not work I guess.

At the moment I'm focussing on staircases in Munich and a long list still waiting to be worked on. But just returning from the Black Forest (perfect for gorges and waterfalls) my next adventure (besides Munich/Bavaria) will be Venice beginning of February hoping for fog and high tide.

Is it possible to check out your pictures somewhere?

Posted by
483 posts

Hi Alomaker, you are working in a different price range than I am, but I love using my Canon 80D and usually bring my Sigma 18-35 and my Canon 55-250 lenses. Mostly landscape and nature photography.

I wrap my gear in Domke protective wrap and carry it in my Deuter hiking backpack. I do this for day trips or on longer holidays and can wear the backpack all day without any problems.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and sometimes I will go for a day trip with just that, but obviously I can’t get the kind of shots that I can with my other gear.

Also bring my Joby GorillaPod if I think I will use it.

I like to check what the light might be like in a given location beforehand by using The Photographer’s Ephemeris web or app.

For city photography in Switzerland Sunday mornings are best. Very little is open at this time and the cities are practically empty.

Posted by
1520 posts

Been big $ DSLR, done with that. Since 2018 now only carry iPhone 12 and invested in following:
- filters and lens for Iphone (prefer Moment and Sandmarc products). These items greatly increase the range of image opportunity for the iPhone, are cheaper to purchase, easier and convenient in use.
- Gimbal - I prefer DJI, but there are several good alternatives. Have to be careful with the Gimbal as so many accessories (lights, microphone, cold/ hot shoe, extenstions) are available offering "benefits", but also weight and bulk. I keep it simple and only use a handheld gimbal without any accessories while traveling. Quality is increasing and pricing decreasing so encourage examination of Gimbal benefits.
- Photo software for use with in phone camera editing. I keep it simple with Pro Camera +2 and taken deep dive into learning how to use it, especially for being in manual mode.
- Learning how to use your phone camera and software is a huge benefit for producing wonderful images. INVEST YOUR TIME into learning how to adjust the lighting of your camera!
After a journey I pare down to 10 images to keep. Yep, sounds crazy til you realize how many times will you go back and review more than 10 images? Pick your best ten images, share and use those for defining memories of your journey.

Posted by
332 posts

hello all,
thank you for your wonderful responses and insights! I am intrigued by some of the hardware and apps you have mentioned.

@funpig: i got interested in photography during my teen years and started with my father's exakta varex IIa! fast forward a couple of decades and basically used minolta x370's and a motley collection of lenses. went digital with the panasonic lx3 pocket camera and various google and samsung phones. finally purchased the sony a7iv when i decided to shoot a documentary film. my thinking was that i wanted a full-frame hybrid camera that could shoot in 4k and 4:2:2 but was capable of good still photography as well.

@jean: never did any darkroom myself. didn't have the means. agree with you that you can't concentrate on photography when in the company of others! yes, framing is critical. as i tell my students, 'don't start shooting from where the camera fell off the truck' and 'find your shot before pushing the button'!

@mignon: a 5d, multiple lenses, and a tripod! that's a lot of weight! not to mention the time and effort you spend. i am not that dedicated, haha. if you like i have a link in my profile where you can look at my photos. by the way, i was in essen for a wedding in may and visited the landschaftspark duisburg-nord. amazing photo-ops. industrial romanticism at it's best. hoping to travel in the top half of italy next summer. been to venice before but this time on my own and with a significant amount of time to spare.

@myswisslife: nice 'reach' on the canon zoom isn't it? i am torn about getting a long zoom as well though the lens i want will probably actually break this camel's back!

@marbelskies: i used my phone, a samsung a51 during my summer 2021 trip to italy. decent images but since i like to crop and manipulate in photoshop found the initial quality limiting. i hear the latest iphones are amazing though. i like the flexibility a full-frame sensor and raw allow. certainly, it boils down to how one uses the technology. i know a very well know cinematographer who does amazing street photography on his phone that blows away the pictures by the likes of me.

Posted by
483 posts

@Marbleskies, I would be interested in seeing what you can achieve with your iPhone 12. Do you have a link to your images?

Posted by
1520 posts

Appreciate the interest, but I am strictly a knowledgeable amateur and do not publicly publish images. Unfortunate no mechanism to post an image on this forum. I will Advocate a belief my iPhone images are better than DSLR Nikon FX equipment supported by all Nikkor 2.8 range of lens (so much $ spent!) and I love the nimbleness of iPhone use.

Posted by
5687 posts

I am a serious photographer and used to take my Canon DSLR to Europe with me along with several lenses and of course a tripod.

But I really got tired of lugging all of that around, and in 2017 I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 "bridge" camera with a 25mm-400mm (equivalent) attached lens. At first I fretted over the loss of some of the flexibility of the DSLR (and missed a super wide-angle lens), and I had some trouble adjusting to a digital viewfinder and manual focus with it...but, I soon appreciated the benefits over the drawbacks. I only realized how much I HATED changing lenses all the time once I started using the Lumix regularly - wow, I don't miss lugging all of that stuff around!!! I travel with only carry-on bags anyway and did even with the DSLR stuff, but switching to the Lumix greatly lightened my load and made photography a lot less fatiguing and enjoyable. I'm sure I can't quite get a few shots I used to get but I've learned to accept that.

(I still travel with the tripod, though, as I love to get night shots and sometimes long exposure shots.)

I used to travel with a little Canon Point-and-Shot camera too for walking around, but I've switched to using my Android phone for that. As much as I appreciate the even greater flexibility and freedom of walking around with only a phone in my pocket and not having to carry even the Lumix around my neck, I HATE taking serious photos with my phone! I just find the controls awkward and find it hard to hold the phone and get the shots I want sometimes - find it quite frustrating for all but simple snapshots. I greatly prefer composing photos through a viewfinder and not by looking at a little screen (even though my Lumix has a live preview LCD), I still use the viewfinder.

Posted by
2427 posts

For me, it all comes down to what I plan to shoot. If I am just shooting travel snapshots for a photo book, my cell phone works great so I use that most of the time. But if I want to capture something special like stopping something in motion at a night time venue such as the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, a landscape at a slow shutter speed such as the Salzach River in Salzburg at night to get that smooth silky water effect, nature photography such as birds in flight, or a sunset, then I want my dslr with all of its capabilities. For the upcoming trip to Antarctica, my husband and I are having serious discussions about what lenses to take with us as this is no ordinary trip. And, of course, I will still use my cell phone as well. My husband and I shoot with Nikon Z7ii and the Nikon D5500 and again lenses depend on what we are shooting.

Posted by
32198 posts

alomaker,

I've been an amateur photographer since the '60s (yes, I'm old) and photography is a major focus of my travels. For that reason, it's important to me to travel with gear that gets the results I want, so I'm willing to tolerate the weight of packing it around. My current gear is a Canon 7D, and I normally travel with a 10-22 wide angle and 24-105 zoom. If I have specific photography goals on a particular trip, I may also pack a 70-300 zoom and a compact travel tripod (Manfrotto). Depending on the trip, I may use my usual camera bag or a good quality Red Oxx duffel with a camera insert. I also pack at least two spare batteries, a couple of filters and memory cards.

A mirrorless camera would certainly be lighter and easier to pack & carry, but I'm going to stick with my present gear. Now that I'm retired and on a pension, the cost to change to a new camera, lenses, accessories, etc. is prohibitive.

I also pack along a backup P&S camera for snapshots and also an iPhone. I've found in the past that I'm often frustrated when trying to use the backup cameras, as they don't allow me to get the results I want. However, I've found that the smartphone cameras have improved a lot over the years and can now produce some great results. One example is this shot I took at a recent concert - https://eagle07.smugmug.com/Family/A-Day-In-The-Life/i-R2VTPr9/A . I got some great videos of that concert too, but unfortunately can't post them on the website. One of the camera apps I use has a "Monuments mode" which removes people from shots of famous sites.

As you mentioned, early morning is often a good time for photography as the lighting conditions are often better. I also like the evening before sunset. However, I try to make the best of whatever conditions I have when I'm shooting. Having a full range of controls on a dSLR is a huge benefit in getting the shots I want. In the case of "people in the frame", I've been fortunate so far in minimizing that problem. For example, I was at Versailles one day when it was extremely crowded, but was able to get some good shots by "creative positioning" which minimized the people in the frame.

Posted by
556 posts

@Alomaker
Thanks just was checking out your pictures and liked it a lot. You are really keeping a memory.

In my vacation there are always days off where I'm not taking my camera with me. Yes could use the smartphone instead or buy a small camera but until now it is ok. The photo spots I'm missing that day I could go later again or just keep the picture in my head.

Landschaftspark Duisburg and Zeche Zollverein (visited already many years ago) are on my agenda as well. Funny enough a friend of mine living in Witten near by :-) Too many placed to go and too less time to do it.

I'm using flickr as a kind of photo album since a couple of years now and some of my pictures stored there. Just linked it under my account - hopefully it worked.

Posted by
483 posts

@mignon, yes, your photo link is working. Thanks for adding it so that we can see your beautiful images!

Posted by
17855 posts

1/ Here is a strange little side bit.
2/ Some countries have unexpected laws about photography like Hungary where to be legal you need the permission of EVERYONE who appears in the photo; no matter where the photo is taken.
3/ Never ever heard of it being enforced, but when I travel and take photos I am always curious what ridiculous law I might be breaking.
4/ I was taking a selfie that included an acquaintance who was working out of a semi-abandoned military airstrip outside of Odesa last July .... only to have two guards come running and demand I delete it.
5/ We went flying earlier that day and I took a lot of photos from the plane, good thing the airstrip didn't show up in any of the photos; because they checked and I guess I would have been in a world of hurt.

Posted by
556 posts

In Germany you need to be very careful as well with people in your photo. This is the reason why I'm not doing street anymore.
I was taking photos of the famous 'Munich Eisbach Surfers' and checked before if this is ok and yes seems to be no issue.

Luckily after a portrait workshop I've noticed that I don't like it ..... so no issue with that as well :-)

All the other stuff like some architecture, castles, parks and so on I know sometimes not allowed to share your photo online. Well I'm trying to follow best possible.

Posted by
306 posts

My recommendation for a gear bag is Peak Design in San Francisco. I got mine at Mike's camera. I also got the Peak camera strap--excellent. The gear bags come in 2 sizes. I like to do underwater photography and the smaller bag holds my wide angle lens, camera housing. I just use a Sony Point and shoot, so that doesn't take up much space.

I loved the Sony interface and decided to start upgrading my skills and bought a used A6400 with the stock lens from Mike's Camera. I just got back from a tour and had taken 3000 pictures--some of them were redundant, I was seeing which camera setting worked best. I got a couple of amazing photos just being in the right place at the right time. I found for evening shots, my iPhone was better. I didn't have the lens or skill to get good low light shots. The iPhone 13 got some amazing night shots of Budapest from a Danube boat tour.

Posted by
332 posts

it's wonderful to learn what and why others are doing when it comes to photography. thanks all for sharing!

@andrew h: agree with you about using phones, especially about viewfinders and lcd displays. i suppose i lived and grew up with film long enough that i too prefer the viewfinder. i suppose for the same reason, i rarely look at a 'playback' right after taking the picture. i am used to being surprised at a later time! on the a7iv the screen can be rotated closed so it remains that way unless i need to change settings.

@mary: the nikon z7ii is an amazing camera. i considered it but ultimately i was swayed by sony's auto-focus reputation, especially its continuous tracking capabilities for video. antarctica! i can just imagine the photographic possibilities. a trip like that would definitely 'force' me to buy the telephoto i trying to be sensible about regarding weight.

@ken: ha! i am old too, 61! don't know how long i will be able to haul all that gear around. like your 'creative positioning' thought. i do that too and of course, just wait until people move on out of frame.

@mignon: ok wow! your photos are on a different level! are you sure it's just your hobby??!! curious about what lens you use for your ultra-wide and extreme close shots. do you use a dedicated macro?

@mister e: now that's a great tip/cautionary tale! all countries seem to have different laws and levels of enforcement about photography. certainly, photography at 'sensitive' sites is one thing i try to avoid while traveling. talking about ridiculous laws, in india you will see 'no photography allowed' signs plastered all over significant state infrastructure, temples etc. i grew up in india but i wonder how they enforce these laws with the 'selfie' generation? really ridiculous was the camera 'fee' one had to pay for important tourist sites like the taj mahal. i wonder if they still have those.

@mo r: i too use a peak design strap. i bought my sony from focus camera when everyone else was back-ordered. i will check out mike's camera.

Posted by
556 posts

@alomaker
Thanks a lot. Yes just a hobby but doing this for many many years now more or less. Less always then when my job is keeping me busy and I'm having no time/mood - happens quite often because I'm working in the semiconductor business ......
And I took several workshops over the years.

Below are the lenses I'm using mostly
Tele: Canon 300mm f/2.8 L + Canon Extender 2x or 1,4x
Ultra-wide: Sigma 12-24mm f/4 Art
Wide: Canon 16-35 f/4 L
Macro: Sigma 150 mm f/2.8
Standard Zoom: Canon 24-105 f/4 L
Night: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art + Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art

But of course I'm not taking everything with me all the time :-)

Posted by
1184 posts

I have a vintage Voitlander rangefinder from my Dad and I also bought a Nikkormat to briefly embrace manual focus and try to slow down and be more contemplative with my shooting (phase did not last). One thing I loved about these older cameras is the 100% 1.0x magnification viewfinder. I can look through the viewfinder with my right eye and keep my left eye open. Everything is the same size and I can see everything outside of the viewfinder at the same time. I think the more expensive pro SLR can do this, but all of my inexpensive consumer level D/SLRs had very low magnification viewfinders and everything looks very small. That is why I really embraced shooting with a bigger digital display, being able to look around my surroundings while trying to compose the shot.

I like to review shots on the display, delete any blurry or bad shots and reshoot, correcting exposure compensation, levelling, recomposing to get rid of distracting elements etc. I don't do much post processing other than level the horizon and crop. I usually just keep shooting and deleting until I get a good shot so I can avoid any post-processing. I am too lazy. Those people that do post-processing very well can elevate their photography to a much higher level of art.

Posted by
556 posts

@funpig
Fully agree.
Many years ago I bought a lens from the 50's -Meyer-Görlitz Trioplan 100mm f/2.8. Really fun in combination with a modern DSLR. Unfortunately I'm using it too seldom.

And since this lens is/was a success story they are building it again now. But I think the real fun is the old one :-)

Posted by
457 posts

I stopped bringing my older Nikon D50 and Nikon 24-200 zoom lens on trips before covid but wanted something more than my Galaxy S22 so I got a great deal on a Panasonic (Lumix) ZS100 ... great sensor for it's size and has both a viewfinder and LCD screen ... pros - less weight, not worrying about theft, fits in my pants pocket ... cons - smaller zoom (and probably picture quality but any pictures I've taken so far look fine to me) ... and it drives my wife nuts when I stay someplace waiting for the 'perfect shot' ... but I am mindful of others trying to take a picture so will move out of the way.

Favorite thing to do was to lay camera on floor to shoot upwards to get shot of church ceilings

I kinda did that also but wouldn't put the camera on the floor, I just held it low, pointed skyward and snapped away, slightly moving with each shot ... then I'd look and see the results (moving out of the way as needed) and try again if I didn't get the shot I wanted ... sometimes my aim was true and it was quick, sometimes it took a while (see wife comment above).

Posted by
281 posts

I think you have a great combination with the A7iv and the 24-70. I prefer to travel with one lens and have been searching for the right option for me. It seems most of my photos are in the 20-50 range so I recently acquired the Sony 40/2.5 g to go with my A7c. I took this as my only lens on my recent trip to Germany and found that the speed worked well, but I missed the 24mm wide angle. I may just try my Samyang 24/1.8 as a one lens solution next as I love the speed of that little lens.

I have tried to love the 200mm focal length but really find that gets little use on my travels. I actually have a Tamron 28-200/2.8 and think that if you are looking for a long range option over and above your 24-70, you may want to give this a test. I could be a good option, especially if you also want to cary the 12-24.

No matter what I travel with as my "serious" camera, I heavily use my iPhone for interior shots, night shots and video.

Posted by
556 posts

" It's the photographer, not the gear that makes great images!"

Very true!

The only 'but' I like to add is that not with every gear you are able to realize every idea unfortunately.
Nevertheless without the photographer's fantasy/knowledge the best gear will not do the work :-)

Posted by
4077 posts

It's the photographer, not the gear that makes great images!

Does anyone else get annoyed when you show off a photo that you're proud of, and the comment back to you is "Wow, you must have a good camera".

Posted by
332 posts

glad that this thread is still alive!

@jasonindenver: the weight issue is why i am debating if i need the 70-200. i will be renting it on my december trip to india. i suppose i will feel what a full load of a body and 3 lenses feels like. i will look into the tamron you mentioned.

@everyone else: regarding skill vs. toys, i agree with you fully. mignon you are correct though that for specific types of photography certain gear is essential. your macro and 300mm 2.8 are great examples.

i am just thinking how many of the great photographers of the past did their best work with a tlr rolleiflex or a rangefinder leica or even a speed graphic with a single prime lens and when 'auto' meant an automobile! we have it easy these days! thanks all for your thoughts.

Posted by
1184 posts

The sales of a Canon 5D are in the thousands and this type of camera only gets updated every 4-6 years. On the other hand, the sales of a Pixel are in the millions and new models come out almost every six months. Most photography technological advances are being driven by smartphone competition.

Posted by
556 posts

Many Canon users I know switching to the mirrorless R family and therefore I do not think that there will be a new generation of the 5D.

But actually I wanted to say that you can't compare at all using a smartphone and a real camera. Everyboby is different and regardless what the arguments are at the end it also an emotional topic. I love holding my camera and therefore not ready to only use my Smartphone as the one and only :-)

Posted by
116 posts

Years ago I started out learning photography with a used Nikon F and over the years progressed with other Nikon's, a few Canon and Sony DSLR's. However, most recently I got tired of lugging around a camera bag filled with my favorite lenses and in certain situations (Africa) multiple camera bodies and switched to a "bridge" camera.

For the last several years I've been exclusively using the Sony RX 10 MarkIV. Yes, bigger sensors generally make better images but I love the fact that my camera gear now consists of a 2.4 pound camera (with Zeiss lens), and several batteries and chargers. I'm fine with the image quality trade off. I recently returned from about a month in East Africa and my "keeper" ratio is about the same as when I was shooting with my Sony DSLR with dedicated lenses.

When folks ask me what camera I use I'm always tempted to ask them---but never do--- would they ask a pianist what piano they're playing on.

Posted by
1184 posts

We just returned after 14 nights in Spain. This was my first vacation without a "real" camera, just a smartphone. More than 10 years ago, I used a DSLR. Over the last 10 years, I used a decent point and shoot like a Canon S120. This time, I only used a Pixel 3a which is about 3 years old. The newer phones have more advanced technology.

I took and kept more than 150 shots per day. At the same time, I took and deleted another 100 shots per day. My philosophy is to shoot, review, edit, crop, or delete and re-shoot as I go. It saves time later so I don't do any post-processing plus I get the shot I want knowing it is unlikely I will every get chance to get the shot again. I try to get shots quickly so as not to annoy the wife.

With so much shooting, I went through my phone battery very quickly. With a real camera, I carried a spare and just popped it in when the battery died. With the smartphone, I had to plug in a battery pack. With all the shooting, I had to charge-over about two times the phone's battery capacity, which is 3,000 mAH. Therefore, my 10,000 mAH powerbank was sufficient. As much as possible I recharged while having coffee or lunch or while walking between attractions. Quite often, I had to take photos while the power bank was attached to the phone which was awkward at first, but doable. The power bank is about the same size as the phone but about twice the weight and there is a short 6-in charging cable.

I carried a pocket foldable tripod with a small phone clamp, but never used it. After a few days I just left it in my backpack at the hotel. With my past cameras, I would have to use a tripod, brace the camera or find a flat spot to set up the camera in order to take long exposures in dim lighting. The Pixel 3A and all the newer smartphones have fantastic night shooting modes. I found I was able to take handheld shots in very dim lighting. This was a real timesaver compared with a real camera.

The shots in poor lighting came out well exposed and sharp. The photos are as good and usually better than my Canon S120. There are obvious advantages with a large sensor on a DSLR or mirrorless, but I am not a pro and do not make large prints. In fact, I have not printed a photo in more than 10 years. On a large computer display, my photos look great.

With a smart phone, it is easy to take a selfie at arm's length (no stick!). Sometimes, I would hand the phone over to another traveller to take a full length shot scenery shot with the wife. Because phones are so ubiquitous and user friendly, people are happy to do so. I always ask them to take two or three shots and once I cropped for the horizon, at least one of the shots turned out well. I helped a fellow traveler take a few shots of him and a pan of paella with his Sony A7(?) with a special manual focus tilt zoom lens. I had a heck of a time focusing with my old eyesight. I just bracketed and hoped for the best, so maybe one of his shots turned out.

Every night, I downloaded, labelled and organized my photos from my phone onto an old lightweight netbook. It saved time having to do this at the end of the trip and gave me a backup in case I lost my phone. PS, my phone cover has a wrist strap. At one church bell tower, my wife almost dropped her phone. PPS, I took more photos in one day than my wife did during the whole 14 day vacation.

Posted by
556 posts

Usually in my travels is always time for some adventure which has nothing to do with photography. But next vacation will be different. I will travel solo to Venice beginning of February and my only plan is taking photos. I'm hoping for fog and some Acqua Alta. Please keep your fingers crossed :-)

Posted by
281 posts

Mignon…

I hope you have horrible weather for your trip. :-)

I would love to do a solo trip like that just focusing on taking photos at my own pace. Some of my best images were taken just be sitting down and watching a scene develop in front of me. Fellow travellers tend just to get annoyed.

Posted by
332 posts

ah, i see this thread is still alive! thank you all for posting. got back last week from a trip to kolkata, india. there mainly to shoot video and stills for a documentary. a7iv and the 12-24 & 24-70. rented a 70-200 locally. carrying all of that in a shoulder bag wasn't as bad as i thought. perhaps the nerve endings there are permanently dead! the autofocus on this camera is amazing, especially for pulling focus on video without an assistant. however, for extreme close-ups still found manual focus more versatile. the cheap amazon bag held up really well too!

Posted by
556 posts

I hope you have horrible weather for your trip. :-)

Thanks a lot :-)

got back last week from a trip to kolkata

Oh wow sounds great

Posted by
515 posts

In general, I was lugging a Nikon D850 full frame with some Nikon and Zeiss lenses ... then I started traveling just with a Zeiss 28mm .... then a mirrorless Sony Rs1 with a fixed 35mm lens ....but I just got tired of lugging all this heavy stuff and worrying about it getting ripped. So I try to have the most up to date iPhone Pro Max, and thats it now. I get pretty much the same level - especially with some good technique, good angles, good lighting, and some editing apps.

On one long trip through EU, when I was carrying some pro gear, I had a lot of fun meeting models in each city and doing a shoot with a local model. I had neglected to bring flash gear, so I bought an extra flash unit in Prague and improvised ... e.g. buying some foil in Venice and taping it to a piece of cardboard for a reflector. I shot over a dozen models ... from Rome to Amsterdam... Edinburgh ... Milan ...etc. It was kinda like having a local friend who spoke the language. I am still friends with one of those women after many years still to this day.

Posted by
2661 posts

It sounds like many of those posting here are more advanced photographers. But, for anyone like myself who is just starting out, I wanted to mention that I am finding several of the photography course on the Great Courses to be very helpful. There’s a good one on travel photography.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-fundamentals-of-travel-photography

The courses are also available on Amazon. You can sign up for a week free trial of the Great Courses channel and watch all that you want.

Posted by
281 posts

Great advice Carrie! I have actually recommended this to a couple of friends that were planning a trip of a lifetime before they left.

Posted by
8642 posts

30 years as a film and TV location scout.

Love photography but these days my life is about simplicity.

Thus my iPhone 11 is just fine for the Instagram images I share of my travels.

The perfect shot is the one that pleases you.

Posted by
515 posts

...Great Courses to be very helpful. There’s a good one on travel photography....
You can sign up for a week free trial of the Great Courses channel and watch all that you want.

I bought a few of their courses on history, French, and Provincial cooking - they were so-so. They are not up to the standards of a college class - too fast and superficial but they cover more material than a typical Youtube video. I was sorry I spent the money on them. You can learn everything you need from Youtube for free, or buy one of the books on the subject, or checkout CreativeLive or Master Class if you want to pay a little. The basics of using a camera from a technical side are found many places - although you dont need too much of that with an iPhone. What is hard to teach is how to compose a beautiful or interesting picture. Also its hard to learn to see like a photographer - no one wants to see that sunset over the ocean that looks so good to the naked eye - but there might be a city street that looks mundane which looks really interesting when captured in the right light and the right time of day.

Posted by
2661 posts

Mignon, thanks!! I definitely need more practice. And more trips!! 😊

Posted by
4077 posts

The perfect shot is the one that pleases you.

Yes, and that includes a selfie.

Posted by
556 posts

Mignon, thanks!! I definitely need more practice. And more trips

More trips would be great :-) :-)

I'm not always taking my camera with me even on trips and sometimes a trip is all about photography - depends.
But what I try to do regularly (always depending on my work load) is to work on a photo project in and around Munich. At the moment it is all about staircases ... crazy yes but I like it. In Munich we are having plenty of beautiful and interesting staircases and since some months whenever there is time I go out and take photos of these staircases. Luckily since years I was collecting the addresses.

I think it is great to see progress when working on a project. At the beginning you have to figure out how you need to look at a certain object and how you manage to take your perfect shot. After a while you get more and more experienced and you immediately know what you need to do.

Focusing on certain topics was helping me a lot to find my style (not important if others might like it) and to gain self-confidence. Understanding the technical aspect is key (in my eyes) but at the end it is all about practice and having fun of course :-)

Posted by
4077 posts

I think it is great to see progress when working on a project. At the
beginning you have to figure out how you need to look at a certain
object and how you manage to take your perfect shot. After a while you
get more and more experienced and you immediately know what you need
to do.

I'm not skilled enough, or perhaps not passionate enough to even call myself an amateur photographer, the best description for me may be, above average snapshot taker. But there are times I wish I was more artistic and could figure out a more interesting shot. While at Westminster Abbey in London in 2018 I came across a door with a sign that stated it was the oldest door in England. It started a fascination with doors, but I've yet to figure out how to make these doors interesting, especially in tight spaces with little light.

Posted by
556 posts

there are times I wish I was more artistic and could figure out a more interesting shot

Another good idea is to check out as many photos as possible. If one catches me I'm asking myself how the photographer did it.

It started a fascination with doors, but I've yet to figure out how to make these doors interesting

I like doors as well and for me it is not necessary to add any artistic twist to a door photo. I think it is the door that speaks for itself. But a good idea is collecting door pictures and present similar ones as triptych.

Little light of course is an issue and if one should not use a tripod it is even worse. In this case I'm happy with my full frame camera because high ISO is no problem. And since a door is a flat object I'm using open aperture if necessary.

I found for example some old doors in Wismar quite interesting: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/52093210860/in/album-72157666105580044/

And it happens when I'm on a staircase tour that a door is catching me. Mostly the light is fascinating me and when I've collected 3 doors I present them as a triptych: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/52188112798/in/album-72157697694914942/

Posted by
927 posts

We don't take the good cameras on trips. Those stay at home.

1. We don't want them stolen or broken or lost. Lenses are still expensive. Thieves know this.

2. To post on the web, you don't need a great camera. You just need a good scene. A point an shoot works just as good here. Its the availability that makes the shot, not the camera.

3. If and when you do lose the camera, the images got loaded up till that day, to a remote site. TIFFs take forever.

4. A small pocket camera makes you less of a mark as a tourist.

5. They don't let you use good cameras, or any cameras at all, in many museums any way.

6. We stopped taking so many photos, just so we could enjoy things in person. Doesn't matter if
    there is a photo or a video any more. :)

Posted by
2661 posts

People may have different reasons for taking photos while on vacation. My initial reason for taking photos was because I was traveling solo and thought if I was busy with my camera, it would deter others from trying to hit on me. I then discovered that I was taking some halfway decent pictures. Now I really enjoy taking photos while traveling and am trying to learn to take better photos. I’ve always taken pride in my work and want to do a good job, even if no one else will see the photos. Also, it’s a nice way for me to explore a creative side that I never thought I had.

It is possible, for me at least, to enjoy the places I am visiting while taking pictures. And the photos I have make for some great memories. I’m always looking at them on my phone. And each week I select a different picture to be the background on my phone. It brings me joy. 😊

Posted by
715 posts

We stopped taking so many photos, just so we could enjoy things in person. Doesn't matter if
there is a photo or a video any more. :)

It's the exact opposite for me. Looking back I wish I had taken a lot more photos! I also wish I hadn't been stingy with the bytes years ago.

Posted by
391 posts

@Mignon, Your photos are the best posted (linked) at these forums, by a long shot. (Pun unintended.)

In Germany you need to be very careful as well with people in your photo. This is the reason why I'm not doing street anymore.

Can you elaborate on this? I have yet to visit Germany, and don't want to get into trouble there.

A large portion of my travel photography is about people on the streets. So far, it has not been a problem on five continents. A reference, FWIW:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Country_specific_consent_requirements

Posted by
556 posts

@staynsavor

Thanks a lot for your kind words.

Yap unfortunately like mentioned in the posted link.

Posted by
1646 posts

"It is possible, for me at least, to enjoy the places I am visiting while taking pictures. And the photos I have make for some great memories. I’m always looking at them on my phone. And each week I select a different picture to be the background on my phone. It brings me joy."

Me, too, Carrie.

Taking pictures helps me to notice and focus on little things I might not notice otherwise. Whether it be an interesting door (mignon, your door photos are fabulous) or door knocker, a sweet bird enjoying a fountain, a beautiful cornice, a silly sign, or a child chasing pigeons--I am just as fascinated with these as with the "big" sights. My husband used to look at my photos and exclaim, "I didn't see that." Now, he takes photos, too, and sometimes captures things I missed, or at least has a different perspective on them.

Every night, we rest our weary feet while we go through that day's photos and choose our favourites. This has the added bonus of sort of setting the day's experiences in our memories, so even if we did and saw a lot, it doesn't all become a blur. Every so often, we choose a trip's photos to cast onto our tv, and we reminisce. And we use some of our favourites as our Apple TV screensaver slideshow.

I love taking photos. For a long time, I travelled with a bridge camera (Lumix), but the last trip, I used only my iPhone, because I now have one that takes great photos, and even though my bridge camera isn't huge, carrying it gets tiring for my neck and shoulders. My next trip, though, I think I'll take an older bridge camera and my underwater camera, as I will be snorkelling, not doing as much walking, and I don't want to bring my late-model phone with me.

Posted by
2661 posts

Mignon, those are some pretty incredible photos!!! I was just looking at the ones in the Munchner Wildnis album and the Italien album. I find it so helpful to look at other peoples’ photos. Helps me to figure out what I like and don’t like and gives me ideas on things like composition. I’m headed to Italy in March, so that will be my next chance to practice. Thanks for sharing!!!

staynsavor, thanks for posting the link to the country consent requirements. Very interesting and I had no idea. But, not really an issue for me as I try to keep people out of my photos. 😊 Although I should probably rethink this. One of the great courses I watched talked about how having people in photos can add to the interest, and that certainly makes sense.

BB, I like looking at my photos too at the end of each day. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if you have a good or bad photo until you look at it later. I end up deleting more photos than I keep.

Posted by
556 posts

Thanks a lot Carrie :-)

Munchner Wildnis

This is a continual project and it is all about Munich's wildlife - really fun working on that. And still some animals, like fox for example, are missing in my collection.

And Italy I've visited quite often but unfortunately mostly without a camera. But on the 4th of February I will go to Venice and it is all about photography. Since I'm travelling solo this time I'm having really time for that. My plan is to do lots of long exposures ... hopefully with some fog.

Posted by
556 posts

I'm still in Venice but going home today :-(
No fog and no high tide but who cares :-) As amazing as always.
A lot photos to work on at home now.

Posted by
2661 posts

Mignon, please let us know when the new venice photos are posted.

Posted by
556 posts

@ jasonindenver

Thanks a lot .... still many pictures to work on :-)

I have used different lenses - the linked tryptich I took with the Sigma Art 12-24mm F4. The others could have been either Canon EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM or Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS II USM. Nightshoots I took most probably with the 16-35 becasue the starbust is amazing.

Posted by
332 posts

@mignon: lovely pictures so far on flickr! i am curious how you were able to get the water in pictures 1209, 1357, and 1204 to appear so smooth. if i am not mistaken the metadata seems to indicate your shutter speed was at least 1/100 or higher. also, do you carry a tripod or monopod? if you do would mind sharing what brand and model you use? lastly, how many lenses did you carry on your venice trip, three?

Posted by
556 posts

@alomaker

I was using 3 different lenses:

Sigma Art 12-24mm F4
Canon EF16-35mm f/4L
Canon EF24-105mm f/4L

And yes probably 95% of the photos taken with a tripod (Novoflex) and a polarizing filter. For long exposures I'm using Nisi's neutral density filter set.

Posted by
1184 posts

To out everything into perspective, how much does your travel photography gear weigh and cost.

Pixel 3a, about 6.0 oz (with case and strap) and $399 (new about 3 years ago).

Posted by
556 posts

@funpig

Depends ....

No honestly weight is really depending on how many lenses and which ones I'm taking with me.
If I would have to guess I would say 12lb including backpack in Venice.

And cost puh I'm trying to not think about it :-) But most of my equipment I'm using since many many years now.

Posted by
4077 posts

Please enjoy :-)

Wow, I did. I especially love some of the black and white photos. My favourite may be IMG2797. Where is that?

Not black and white, but then Burano wasn't made for that, loved IMG9963 and the leaning tower of Burano.

Posted by
556 posts

@Allen

Thanks a lot.

This album is Italy and 2797 is Lago di Garda - Punta San Vigilio.

Posted by
617 posts

OP Alo,
Below is our Photo Essay TR titled 'A Passage to China'. It shows our very first foray into digital imagery, dating from about 16 years ago. We still use a Nikon D7000, an ancient Domke bag and Lightroom.

https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/passage-to-china-a-photo-essay-1698000/

Our quirky TRs tend to be looooong and sometimes include related music, humour plus logistical tips. Other titles below are easy to find. Just Google them and add my Fodors handle 'zebec'.

Other titles include:
-En Pays Villefranchois (the Aveyron area)
-Deep in the Desert (Jordan)
-Metaxi Mas (Greek isles plus Athens)
-Vancouver Island
-The Return of the Son of Isabel's Italy (Venice)
-D'Aix (Provence)
-Cuckoo for Cucuron (ditto)
-*currently finishing up Quebec and England TRs; we leave soon for Italy
I am done. The end

Posted by
2661 posts

Mignon, love the venice pics!!!!! I cannot wait to go next month. So many great ones, it’s hard to pick a favorite. But, 1175, 1642, 1601 might be my favorites.

Posted by
617 posts

Those interested in travel photography might view the related threads over on Fodors.
Travelers there have posted TRs with imagery for a wide range of destinations. Poster 'dcd' is currently in Patagonia with his wife. He is known on Fodors for his spectacular avian fotos, some of the finest bird shots that we've ever seen.

I really enjoyed those Venice shots Mignon!

I am done. The end.

Posted by
556 posts

Really looking forward to my next photo adventure. Despite some occasions that might come up in Munich I will travel to Füssen end of March. Firstly because I want to spend some relaxing days in a nice spa hotel :-) but as well I'm loving Lake Forggen in winter.

I think most of you visiting the Füssen area not in winter but for those who do, please take note in winter there is almost no water in the lake. What makes it so special is the fact that Via Claudia Augusta (an ancient Roman road) is crossing the lake on the west side. You can walk into the lake in winter and still follow the road.

Grab your camera, wear hiking boots (could be very muddy) and enjoy the beauty. There have been days where I was standing in the middle of the lake and I had the feeling I'm in Iceland.

So in case you are are interested please just let me know and I can tell you where to enter the lake. And maybe I will even find another possibility during my trip in March.

And for those who want to know what it looks like here a photo I took some years ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/46824346694/in/album-72157652573460111/

Posted by
281 posts

Wow Mignon!

That is an interesting perspective from shooting at f/16 in low light!

I will have to try that next trip.

Posted by
556 posts

Since this year there was already more water in lake Forggen than usualy in March there were completely new possibilities. That makes it so exciting that you can't take the same photos next year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/52772162330/in/album-72157652573460111/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/52774672140/in/album-72157652573460111/

Door in Füssen:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calabrones/52766038048/in/album-72157652573460111/

Posted by
515 posts

To get a shot like that, I am sure you need a tripod. However, I think you could get pretty much the same shot hand held with a modern digital camera (e.g. Nikon or Canon or Sony) at about f5.6. In fact, I would shot it at f1.4, and let the background go a little blurry to bring attention to the tree trunk.