Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

We are headed to Europe for 3 months. Looking into travel insurance specifically with regards to medical and evacuation coverage. We are booking as we go so I don’t think we need cancellation or interruption coverage. Recommendations of company to go through?

Posted by
4007 posts

Do yourself a favor and find out from those who have FILED a claim with their insurance company to see if the insurance company paid the claim or not. Many people can recommend a policy to you but if they haven't experienced filing a claim, that recommendation will do you no good and thus be meaningless.

You can search for policies here: Insure My Trip

When you find a plan, do what you can to learn if the company pays off legitimate claims or refuses to do so. Otherwise, you will have no idea if you are truly insured or not. The point of insurance is peace of mind from knowing that you will have insurance coverage.

Perhaps somebody on this forum can tell you if an insurance company honored a claim or reneged.

Good luck.

Posted by
37 posts

The Insure My Trip website is a very good place to start when looking for a comprehensive travel insurance. Do compare coverages and know what you are paying for. Even though many people purchase insurance, very few actually file a claim. Last year I went through my travel agent at AAA and purchased Allianz Travel Insurance for our month long trip to Europe. It put my mind at ease knowing I had a comprehensive insurance plan even though I didn't expect to use it. Prior to our travel date, I had to change flights due to Hurricane Harvey. I also ended up in ICU overnight while in Haarlem, The Netherlands due to an allergic reaction. Allianz came through and paid the full amount for my travel and hospitalization. The website was so easy to use and allowed me to notify Allianz immediately in both cases. Once the bills arrived, I submitted them electronically, then followed the progress on my claims from the same site. When I needed further clarification by phone, the service was available 24/7. I have also heard good things about Travel Guard but I have not used them. Good luck in your search and happy travels!

Posted by
492 posts

We have TravelGuard business traveler plan which is an annual plan for our travels (We usually spend six months in Europe per year). We have yet to make a claim and I hope that we never have to. Like you, cancellation and interruption coverage is not important to us.

The coverage includes $50,000 for medical; $500,000 for emergency evacuation and repartriation of remains; and $100,000 for security evacuation.

We have this plan as recommended by a TravelGuard customer service, although we are not business travelers.

Posted by
3167 posts

When I travel, I care about medical and evacuation as you do. Most travel insurance covers a lot of other things that I am not interested in covering. A travel friend told me about GeoBlue from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Here’s a link to their website. But note that the policy will only cover you for 70 days. I haven’t explored the rest of their site to see what else is available. Compared to “travel insurance” the rates are much more reasonable.