Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

We are looking for travel insurance as we will be traveling for a month. I have looked into one on particular but it only covers up to ages 49. I guess they think over 50 you are too old to travel🤪
Any recommendations?

Posted by
6501 posts

Two good places to comparison shop, as well as learn more about travel insurance, are InsureMyTrip and Squaremouth. I've never heard of a cutoff at age 50 (or any age), but premiums will be higher the older the traveler is, because medical coverage is an important part of any policy worth buying.

Posted by
2021 posts

If you have USAA, look on their website for trip insurance. That is who we have bought through and they have been good to work with.

Posted by
3109 posts

Some credit cards offer a travel insurance program.
Be sure to buy travel medical AND trip cancellation insurance.

Posted by
2469 posts

Be sure to consider Medical Emergency Transportation or Evacuation in case you’re injured or become ill or, God forbid, die. It’s very expensive and if you don’t want to pay for it out of your pocket, consider sharing the risk with the insurance company.

Medical insurance, trip interruption or cancellation and emergency medical transportation or evacuation are important to evaluate for your own situation.

Posted by
4602 posts

Some policies will only cover trips of 30 (not 31) days, which could be limiting your search results.

Posted by
4827 posts

With regard to medical evacuation insurance, the devil is always in the details. Many policies will only transport you to the nearest facility that can treat you. There is at least one company (maybe more) that will transport you back home if you are admitted to a hospital overseas. Check out MedJet Assist in Birmingham AL. They have a variety of plans you might want to consider. It is not travel insurance nor medical insurance -- just med. evac. insurance.

Posted by
7662 posts

I always book my medical coverage and evacuation with American Express when we go overseas. I can get $100,000 coverage with medical evacuation for about $60 for my wife and self.

As for trip cancellation coverage, I rare buy that type of coverage unless we take a tour or cruise, then I might purchase that coverage. This coverage is way more expensive than just the medical.

Posted by
131 posts

My wife and I are old seniors. She is 68 and I'm 67.
We are using Travel Guard for a trip to Israel nest year, our old ages were never a factor
when they signed us up.

Posted by
651 posts

I use GeoTrekker multi trip because it was recommended by friends traveling with OAT. Haven't had a claim, YAY, but it seems to cover most of the bases others discussed. And I'm over 65. It covers up to 70 days per trip. I did call my Medicare provider to discuss what they would cover overseas, basically hospital, doctors & medications, but not the extra time in hotels, your travel companion's expenses, etc....