Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

My wife and I plan to travel through Europe for one year (we are both retired). How do we get travel insurance (health-evacuation) to cover that time period in Europe?

Posted by
23177 posts

At risk of being criticized for raising this question. For your year travel in Europe you do understand and have a plan for dealing with the Schengen zone limitations of 90 days out of each 180 day cycle?

With that solved you need to find a US policy that covers health care out side of the US. Medicare does not work but many of the supplements do provide limited coverage. I don't think you can stretch common travel insurance to cover that length without it being very expensive. We carry year around coverage under Medjet which is a medical evacuation insurance. We can handle the nickle, dime stuff in Europe but if we need a special ride home that is what we want covered. Would have to look but think we pay about $300 or so year for a year policy. We have carried it for a number of years so it is just a household expense item. Also works in the US. if needed.

PS. Just checked. Memory not so good. It is MedjetAssist.com and annual family premium is $399. Coverage is good as long as you are a 150 miles from home.

Posted by
10344 posts

Frank's 1st paragraph - hope you read that carefully.

Posted by
235 posts

Travel Guard (among others) sells annual policies.