Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

We will be leaving for Italy in 26 days. We had dismissed travel insurance until today when we heard about a gentlemen traveling abroad that fell, had to have hip surgery and be flown back to the states. Can I please get your feedback on travel insurance? Thanks

Posted by
3428 posts

Did you use a credit card to purchase your plane tickets? pre-pay hotels? Some of them offer "included" travel insurance. If you are a AAA member, check out their policies. Compare the policies, and pick the one with the best covereage for the money- this is not the time to "go cheap".

Posted by
32214 posts

Lorri,

It would be highly advisable to get at least some form of medical insurance. I never travel to Europe without that, precisely for the reasons you stated in your post.

You'll have to decide whether trip cancellation or baggage insurance is worthwhile. As I recall, there's a section on travel insurance in Europe Through The Back Door.

Happy travels!

Posted by
39 posts

I am in the process of comparing the different policies. What I am finding is not that expensive. I also checked with my health care provider to verify my international coverage. They also suggested travel insurance in the event that you had to be flown back to the states. We had sky miles for our plane tickets, only prepaid one hotel and will be paying cash to get discount rooms. All of this helps on the price of the coverage.

Posted by
864 posts

We always go with TravelGuard but that's because we've had good feedback from them when we call. We always have travel insurance to cover the real disaster stuff like needing a med-evac flight etc. Our health insurance does cover us overseas (Blue Cross) but I'd fear paperwork delays etc. For reputable travel insurance companies this is their primary business. Just as important, for me, is if my mother (who is 86) becomes ill we can fly home and all cancellation fees etc are covered. This is only good if, when we buy the insurance, Mom isn't suffering from some specific life threatening illness (as if old age doesn't qualify but anyway...)

Posted by
1170 posts

I use Travel Guard from AIG insurance. I always get the Platinum level of coverage that pretty much covers most contingencies without having to buy a lot of add-ons.

Posted by
39 posts

I have been comparing prices and coverage at
www.squaremouth.com. It is nearly a toss up between Travelex Select and Travel Guard gold. Leaning toward Travelex Select.

Posted by
122 posts

I do not recommend Travelguard. It took months for us to settle a claim and was incredibly frustrating. I agree that the customer service is excellent up until that point.

Posted by
39 posts

I went with Travelex Travel select plan. I purchased it through the squaremouth web site. This website is very user friendly and the price was better after comparing to several other sites. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Posted by
52 posts

Check with your personal medicial insurance. My BlueCross covers me for both injury and evac.