Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

Is it really necesary to get travel insurance?

Posted by
23281 posts

If you are asking about cancellation insurance, then we do not. We have made about 15 trips so we now view ourselves as self-insuring from all the premiums we have saved. I think cancellation insurance is expensive for the amount of coverage. If asking about medical insurance for travel then that is a different deal and need to sure you have good insurance in place.

Posted by
687 posts

Depends on your trip and what you mean by insurance. Are you taking an expensive cruise or tour? If so, you may well want trip cancellation/interuption insurance. I never bother with that for independent travel. However, I always carry medical evacuation insurance - I don't care how young and healthy you are, accidents happen. My current medical insurance covers me for emergency treatment abroad but when I have to go on Medicare, which won't, I'll buy medical insurance as well. You might spend some time on insuremytrip.com comparing policies. I buy my evacuation insurance through sevencorners.com

Posted by
32212 posts

Elvia, Could you elaborate on what type of insurance you're referring to? Some of the common types of travel insurance include medical insurance, cancellation insurance and baggage insurance. I would definitely recommend getting medical insurance to cover any unexpected injuries or illness. Whether you want to include evacuation insurance with that will depend on personal preferences and your medical situation. If you do want that type of insurance, have a look at This Website for one firm that provides that type of service. Happy travels!

Posted by
23281 posts

You can/should insure ONLY the money that you would lose. For example, if the land cost $2000 and the cancellation fee is $500. Then you insure the $500 because that is your only lost if you cancel. However, if it was no refund under any circumstances then, of course, you would insure the whole $2000. Policies vary great as to what they cover so you need to read AND UNDERSTAND the fine print very carefully. Generally policies only cover specific reasons for cancellation -- not just because you want to.

Posted by
32795 posts

Is it really necesary to get travel insurance? Of course not. It is money simply flushed down the pan, of no value whatsoever. . . . unless you need to make a claim . . .
Is fire insurance really necessary?

Posted by
10 posts

As other posters have alluded to, the answer depends on you, where you are going, the cost of the trip, your ability to absorb all of the costs if the trip is cancelled or interrupted. If something happens to you or a family member, either before you leave, or while you are on the trip, can you afford to lose everything that you have paid if you have to cancel? Can you afford to absorb the cost of a medical evacuation? For myself, I save all year for my trips and the amount of money paid for my vacations ins not something I can afford to lose. I don't get travel insurance for my trips within the US, but I do get it for any trips that are outside the US. I know that my health insurance will not cover any treatment / expenses outside of the US. I have family members who have had to make claims and it was more than worth the cost of the insurance.

Posted by
934 posts

I am on Medicare which doesnt cover me. My supplement does cover me. However I would have to pay upfront. I get the medical because it also includes evacuation home in the event it is needed. I cant even imagine how much it would cost to fly you home from Europe in a medical plane.

Posted by
10228 posts

I buy travel insurance primarily to be covered medically. Most (maybe all?) policies also cover other things too, such as trip cancellation, interruption, lost bags, etc. I use insuremytrip.com to compare policies. I only look at the medical coverage, and if I am renting a car I also get the insurance that way, instead of paying extra at the time of the rental. I did have to file a claim after my last trip for some medical expenses. I was reimbursed more that the amount I paid for the insurance for me and my husband combined.