Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

To have or not to have, that is the question? We are going to take our first Rick Steves tour (Paris and the South of France in 15 Day) next fall. Someone hasked me if we were going to get travel insurance. We've traveled all over the world and have never gotten it. Are we just dumb and lucky?

Posted by
23269 posts

What you have done is self-insure. Until recently we have done the same thing. By this time I figure that savings in premium would be equal to one blown trip. However, I am concerned about evacuation insurance in the event of something serious. Insuremytrip.com is a good starting point. I am not concerned about ruotine medical but at 67 I am beginning to worry a bit a major problem would require evacuation. Haven't decided on the policy as of yet but will have that for the next trip.

Posted by
9363 posts

I would never travel without med evac insurance, at the very least. I'm fortunate that my employer covers my health insurance anywhere in the world, but I want to be sure that if I need special transportation home, I can pay for it without a problem. My brother-in-law's mother suddenly became ill in a foreign country and had to be brought home via air ambulance. The family had to pay $30,000 upfront before the trip could be arranged. I don't want that (or worse) happening to my family just because I didn't take the time to get inexpensive travel insurance.

Posted by
2193 posts

I’m young, healthy, have always been covered for medical, and had never considered travel insurance before…until just recently. I ended up purchasing a basic plan primarily to cover the cost of airfare should someone in my family become ill immediately before or during our trip (concern is H1N1 flu). The change fee alone for our carrier is $250. Multiplied by four, that’s $1000 just in change fees. The policy cost $76. Even the most basic policy is comprehensive and covers medical evacuation, but many items you may not think much about are covered, too (e.g. you’re covered should you be laid off and have to change plans). Considering the low cost relative to the cost of your trip, it’s worth it for peace of mind. The older you are, the more sense it makes, especially if your medical insurance doesn’t cover you overseas. BTW, I went with Travelex Basic.

Posted by
9363 posts

And "young and healthy" doesn't matter if you have an accident.

Posted by
2193 posts

That’s very true. My point in mentioning it, however, is that young and healthy people might otherwise overlook travel insurance. After all, most young people are invincible (smile). I was aware of its existence but never really considered it…ever (and I’ve traveled extensively). After researching options, I learned that the low cost and comprehensive coverage sort of make it a no brainer. My new recommendation is to at least consider it, regardless of age.

Posted by
124 posts

We are mid 50's and took a 2 week trip to Ireland last August. We purchased trip insurance about 36 hours before (24hours is the deadline).

My wife fell and broke her arm and shoulder, and we were lucky to have insurance. We didn't have to have separate transport home, but the travel insurance company did upgrade her to 1st class as per the Drs. orders, to the tune of $3,000.00. They also paid all out of pocket expenses as a result of the accident. Airling cattle-car class would have been very crowded and uncomfortable for her especially since she was also required my the Dr to get up and walk at least once an hour on the 2 long haul flights from Shannon to Portland OR. I wouldn't go on any foreign trip without it...you never know when a freak accident might happen. DM

Posted by
842 posts

Well, I'm in my 60's and have using trip insurance for the the last several years. It's so cheap...why not?

At the minimum, the total outlay for your trip could justify it, but the medical thing (H1N1!?!) could really add to your costs.

So, before I leave I go to Squaremouth.com, or Insure My Trip, plug in my variables and pick out a lo-cost plan that covers what my VISA and health insurance don't cover.

Posted by
1003 posts

We have bought trip insurance for the last 7 years for our Europe trips and we are currently 50 and 52 years old and healthy. We buy it for the evacuation coverage if there was an accident. We also bought it for our kids. It is not very expensive when you figure the cost of the trip.

Posted by
818 posts

Bought it for the first time last summer - we were leaving for eastern Europe the night school ended and my son's school was teeming with H1N1 cases. I was a nervous wreck that he would catch it and our vacation would be ruined. I think the cost was $75 for three of us - well worth it!

Posted by
7 posts

I guess I should say that I have no problem with buying the insurance, but my initial look into the matter only showed me costs for such insurance to be in the $300 to $500 range. I assume that a big part of the difference is age as I'll be 74 and my wife 73 at the time we travel. We are both in excellent health, but the insurance companies don't give you a physical to determine the cost! :-)

Posted by
9363 posts

Bob, how extensive was the insurance you were looking at? If you could do without, say, extra insurance on your baggage, or trip delay insurance, you might be able to find a policy that's a bit cheaper. Make sure you're only looking at the coverage you really need.

Posted by
7 posts

I'll need to go back and look some more as I quit after the initial sticker shock.

Posted by
9363 posts

Bob, on insuremytrip.com, the first section is for travel package plans. These would cover lost luggage, trip cancellation, medical, etc. If you scroll farther down you'll come to the section for travel medical plans. These are the ones you want to look at. When I just checked on medical insurance for a person your age, the costs were all well under $200, depending on the plan.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks very much Nancy. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a chance to get into the whole matter in more depth.

Bob

Posted by
1078 posts

You have been lucky--I use IMG--International Medical Group. Has a super website and you just pay for the days you are there.