Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Hello- I've done some searching on this and I don't seem to be able to find this exact topic- I'm planning a trip to Europe for a bit and I do plan to get Travel Insurance. The one I'm looking at includes Trip Cancellation, Coverage to Lost, Stolen or Damaged Baggage along with medical expenses. Now, in getting this, is to unnecessary to get the insurance from the airline while booking the flight? It seems as though it'd be a bit repetitive. But, I've never gone overseas before and I'm hoping someone with some experience in this area could help me.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
32212 posts

Ginny,

If you're already buying an Insurance policy that covers medical, trip cancellation and baggage, I wouldn't bother with any other insurance (including that offered by the airline).

One additional point to make - as you've "never gone overseas before", I'd highly recommend pre-reading the Guidebook Europe Through The Back Door before your trip, especially the "Rail Skills" chapter. It will provide you with lots of information to make your trip go smoothly.

Happy travels!

Posted by
693 posts

Ginny, when I buy medical insurance for an overseas trip, I make sure it includes "repatriation" - sending you home if necessary (alive or dead). This latter could be extremely important in the rare event that you may be on a stretcher or casts. I've gotten mine from American Express in the past (available with any of their cards). Also make sure to get it a few weeks BEFORE your travel date, to cover existing conditions. You can cancel it once you return home.

Posted by
1288 posts

If you are purchasing your own travel insurance you should not purchase the airlines. They offer travel insurance as part of their service, but since you have already researched and plan to buy your own, you do not need to use theirs. Go with a company that gets good reviews from people who actually had to file claims (I use CSA and can say that they came through for us when we filed a claim) even if it costs a few dollar more.

Posted by
2193 posts

The only other piece of information I’ll add is to say that the average traveler will do fine with just a basic insurance plan. I recently purchased a Travelex Basic plan from Travelex (underwritten by Nationwide) that included everything you mentioned and more for about 3.5% of the total trip amount insured. While I didn’t need to file a claim, they received high marks in the reviews I read. I agree that insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare plans from various companies. One more thing…trip cancelation doesn’t allow you to cancel whenever you want for any reason. Even a “cancel for any reason” add on has restrictions. Ask the carrier to e-mail a copy of the contract before you buy so you can read the fine print first…the information provided on line is limited. No, don’t buy two sets of coverage.