Please sign in to post.

travel insurance

I booked my europ trip last week through STA and the agent was going to add on travel insurance, but I said I wanted to wait. I am only going for 2 weeks and not entirely convinced that I need it. The plan she wants to sell me is $70 and she says it is very comprehensive for the price. I bought the international student card, which offers some travel insurance already, but its basically in regards to baggage and I think delay...I'm already worried about costs as my flight alone to/from paris was 853+booking+ISIC+hostel deposits. I still need to book my sky europe flights next month and I'm just wondering if it is worth the cost for insurance for such a short trip? I'll be carrying on important stuff and checking one bag...

Posted by
9363 posts

Medical travel insurance IS important, as Norm has said. Though I was at home when it happened, I broke my ankle in October. My immediate expenses - ambulance, emergency room, surgery - topped $10,000. If this had happened on a trip and I had needed special transportation home, it would have been many thousands more. Please visit www.insuremytrip.com to compare the policies of many different companies. You can pick and choose the type of coverage you need so that you don't pay for something you don't need. In your age category, you should find something better for less than you were quoted.

Posted by
4555 posts

Alayna...it appears you are just talking about travel insurance, not health insurance. If so, $70 is a LOT to pay for just travel insurance. There are other options around for that sort of thing. If this DOES include health insurance, it's a little more economical. But if you're concerned, you can purchase health care insurance alone, for a lower price, and take your chances on flights and lost luggage. But health insurance is a MUST before leaving...otherwise, the costs of an accident or illness overseas could easily bankrupt you for years to come. I'm sure others would have websites specifically for Americans to purchase health insurance.

Posted by
64 posts

It includes.... delay,baggage,baggage delay,medical expense,accidental death,dismember, emergency medical transport...or $70

On my ISIC insurance that comes with the cars it is a basic plan with medical expense,sicknes,baggage delay, medical transport,ramins,document replacement,accedental&dismemberment.

Which considering I have health insurance and will only be gone 2 weeks, and limited baggage and taking alot of safety precautions with my stuff. My laptop is insured already which I'm carrying on. I don't know, I don't particularly think I need it.

Posted by
4555 posts

Your ISIC medical insurance is extremely...only $100/day for hospital stay expenses, and only $5000 total for accident medical expenses. An operation to fix a badly-broken arm could suck up that five grand in one fell swoop. And the only transport funds I see is to ship your body home :( I'd go with the agent's offer, but ask if they can strip out the delay and baggage part to make it cheaper.

Posted by
41 posts

I would strongly suggest you look for a good medical policy with good coverage for medical evacuation. An acquaintance of mine was overseas recently and suffered a catastrophic medical event. Through various coverages and medical facilities forgiving some of the cost he was OK for the medical coverage. However, when it came time for him to be repatriated it was necessary to travel by air ambulance which was not covered. The cost was $124,000. It has had a profound negative effect on his retirement. A tragedy always happens to someone else until it happens to you. Buy fewer souvenirs and drinks and put the funds towards protecting yourself "just in case".

Posted by
769 posts

Id check the same coverage with single trip coverage from Travel Guard and also Medijet assist. You probably dont need much for the bagae stuff esp if you are carrying on (just geep one set of clothes in your laptop bag if you can - or at least the expensive item (wear it! like jacket shoes etc). The med and air coverage are the important ones for most. Medijet has a yearly membership that might be nice if you travel at all frequently (in or out of the country). 250-300 dep on the age. or less for a trip.
Also keep in mind - most of the insurances have some 14-day limit for their "extras" - meaning you have to buy it within 14days of your trip-deposit if its a tour. If its just a airline trip - then that may not matter. But look at 2-3. There is another international student/discount company that you find in partnership with Lonley Planet - but i forget the name.

Posted by
64 posts

It just seems to me, maybe I'm a bit naive- that getting travel insurance isn't that necessary for this trip. I've only recently heard about it, I have heard the travel detective guy on television talking about it. There are some plans about 20dollars or so cheaper and most seem to have same thing, maybe my parents will want to get it for me as a graduation present, I''m not completely convinced myself.

Posted by
9099 posts

Getting travel insurance is essential. Just breaking your leg can set you or parents back $50,000-$100,000. People break their arms/legs/backs/heads everyday; it's not a one-in-million occurrence like getting hit by lightning. And it doesn't have to be your fault, you can be very careful look both ways before crossing the street, strictly obey speed limits and all that, but just one careless idiot can send you to the hospital in an ambulance. You have been warned.

Posted by
61 posts

When we went to Europe two years ago, I called our medical insurance coverage here in the states to see if we would have the same coverage overseas. They told me yes, so I didn't give it another thought. It sounds like I got poor information. When buying insurance, will the cost be higher if you have an existing medical problem? Do they ask?

Posted by
9363 posts

Alayna, everyone here seems to be of the same opinion except you -- you need travel insurance. You asked the opinion of seasoned travelers and we are giving you our best advice. Please shop for some good travel insurance. With any luck, you won't need it. But if you do need it, you'll be glad you had it.

Posted by
64 posts

Alright, I wanted to check! I felt like my travel agent wasn't exactly all there with her information so I was weary of the insurance, but it looks like I can get similar plans for a tad cheaper. My parents have never been out of the country so they have no clue about the plans and coverage, (and neither do I)
It's a bit challenging to sort out between what is essential and what someone is just trying to sell you to get a commission. I will look into some insurance- thanks!

Posted by
1449 posts

Alayna, I'm going to chime in and agree with the earlier posters. Many people in this country are over-insured in the sense that they have policies that cover routine and predictable expenses, so the cost of the policy is raised to included these costs because the insurance company can predict them too. So the policies seem pricy.

That is not the point of insurance. Insurance is to protect you and your family against catastrophic costs. Could you still afford your music education if someone runs a red light in Vienna and breaks your leg, requiring your family to fork out $50K or more to fly you back home?

I'm not predicting any tragedy will befall you; I fervently hope this is the vacation of your dreams. But the point is bad things do happen. For a relatively small price you can protect yourself against the severe financial consequences.

Between now and your trip, I bet you could find part-time work and earn that $70 if you really wanted to.

Posted by
9099 posts

Susan, there are some "regular" policies that will cover overseas travel; but most will not. The fine print on my medical coverage seems to change at a moments notice, so even if my insurance company told me I was covered, I would probably still get travelers insurance just to on the safe side.

Posted by
64 posts

ok-
thanks mike. no broken legs.
ps- i work 2 part time jobs :)

Posted by
3580 posts

I've been to Europe about 15 times and have never bought or needed travelers' insurance. I think about it each trip and decide I don't want to spend the money. The only insurance that appeals to me is the Emergency Evacuation insurance. That's the real big one if you have to be flown home with an illness or injury.

Posted by
4555 posts

I'd like to know how many Americans who don't take health insurance when they travel abroad, do without health insurance at home? We're in a bit of a different situation here in Canada with our government medical care plans. Luckily, I too have never had to use medical insurance in 35 years of travelling abroad. But after seeing the $20,000 plus bill my father paid for an emergency colon operation in Florida, I sure won't leave home without it! That was 21 years ago, too...luckily, he had insurance. With $500,000 policies including evacuation and repatriation, going for about $30 for young people, to ignore it would be "pound wise, pence foolish."

Posted by
9363 posts

I agree with you, Norm. It's easy to say in hindsight that it wasn't necessary, but I never want to find out what would happen if I don't have it when I need it. No matter how careful you are, anything can happen at any time -- and it might not be your fault or have anything to do with your own caution. I just don't want to risk it, especially for as little as travel insurance costs.

Posted by
64 posts

I think some of my feelings come with that. As I was talking with my mother earlier how I rarely go to the doctor, I ride a bicycle and motorcycle in this city and kickbox and at most have hot the ground hard but not been injured.
Insurance is so expensive alot of people learnto do without here, i think. It's now mandatory in massachusetts, which I don't understand as people don''t have insurance because they can't afford it, but now they HAVE to but still can't afford...
I was not even thinking about insurance until my travel agent brought it up to tell you the truth...Not because sometimes things happen, but I''m in good health and won''t be doing anything riskier than riding a bicycle maybe...

Posted by
188 posts

Travel insurance and medical insurance mean different things to me. We are able to get out of country medical insurance through our house ins. company for multiple trips for a very reasonable cost or some med. insurance can be had through credit card companies. Alayna, even if you're really careful and don't do risky things, there's always the chance that a vespa could sideswipe you! Even though the chances are that we won't need the med. ins. we always get some "Just in case". My son, who is early 20s, active, fit, no health problems, got stung by a box jellyfish which gave him some weird reactions. A one and a half hour visit to the hospital in Hawaii (no tests, no xrays, and no medication) almost cost as much as his airline ticket. You never know what could happen.

Posted by
87 posts

As careful as you are you never know. I got to my mid 40s before I ever had a broken bone and got two at once mis-stepping out of a friend's doorway - I always add sober!

Also when we were in the Louvre both my then 13 yo daughter and myself were sent flying down some marble stairs because a lady had fallen above us and knocked us down as she went past. Whilst my daughter said she was okay, she actually hurt her back and had trouble sitting for a while afterwards. We were lucky neither of us were badly hurt, nor was the original lady but she was very shaken up. You never know and no one plans to be involved in an accident. Insurance is a must.

Posted by
166 posts

Don't leave home without it ! The last european trip I took cost me 270.00 for a doctor visit and antibotics

Posted by
64 posts

I know, I plan on getting it like stated, but all those thoughts come from my viewpoint I guess as someone graduating soon I'm prepared to not have american health insurance until hopefully I get a job that will provide it.As already I near finishing college credits, I'm not covered anymore, so insurance is a bit of a touchy subject lately but for $50 I don't think it will be a problem getting a plan.
I tend to have bad luck, getting sideswiped by a vespa is possible when here I have been sideswiped by a homeless man on a bike!

Posted by
61 posts

I teach college and take students on trips to Europe. We will not allow a student to travel without a travel health insurance policy. No insurance, no trip. I also won't travel without one myself, even though my medical plan says that I am covered abroad. Having to pay up front for expenses and then maybe being reimbursed by your insurance is not feasible for many of us, especially when the transport costs can cost tens of thousands of dollars. A country of which you are not a tax paying citizen has no responsibility to give you medical treatment and get you home if there is an accident.

Posted by
189 posts

Alayna, are you sure your US insurance policy does not cover your health needs. Ours does. Dorsey

Posted by
331 posts

As a person who never gets travel insurance or trip cancellation insurance, I am rethinking my policy. My teenage daughter is set to leave for Paris on Wednesday, we're not sure if she can go now (mono). We're still hopeful. Also a friend had to cut short her Italian trip when she fell and broke her arm there. In both cases totally unexpected. And in actuality, the cost of the insurance is minimal when comparing it to the overall expense of your trip.

Posted by
48 posts

Alayna, Have your parents check their policy carefully. My son is also graduating this spring and we are going to Europe for three weeks. For an extra fee, he will continue to be covered for the trip. My insurance agent keeps assuring me that my policy will cover everything, including repatriation costs, but this thread still has me a little worried.

Norm: 40 million Americans do not have health insurance, but that is a whole other debate.

Posted by
1449 posts

Dorsey, had you read thru the OP's posts you would have seen "I guess as someone graduating soon I'm prepared to not have american health insurance until hopefully I get a job that will provide it."

It is unlikely that non-existent coverage will take care of her in Europe :-)

As for your coverage, I'm willing to take a significant bet that it does NOT cover repatriation. That's going to be on your dime, actually a $50K or more expense. You're running that risk each time you go abroad. It's your choice, of course, but my preference is to have insurance coverage for huge exposures like that.

Posted by
10344 posts

Mike (above post) is right, insurance is most useful when a small premium protects against a potentially huge financial exposure. I think some people travel to Europe without realizing the potentially huge financial exposure they have, if they get unlucky and have to pay for something like repatriation cost to be transported back to the US. The foreign country MAY treat you for free, or your US health insurance MAY cover SOME procedures done in the foreign country--but no one except you is going to be paying the cost of 9 airplane seats bought at the last minute or for an air ambulance. Same principle as auto insurance, there's a small percentage chance you'll have an accident but if you get unlucky it can wipe you out if you're not insured. I speak from experience and boy, was I glad I had traveler's medical. Am I missing something here?

Posted by
64 posts

I just got a new health insurance policy, so I will have to have my parents check and see if it covers me. If not, they said they would get travel insurance for me.

Posted by
4555 posts

Tania....that was the thrust of my question...all the proposals to help those without medical insurance in the U-S, yet people willing to go uncovered while overseas! Maybe I should have asked, rhetorically, if any Americans with health coverage would voluntarily give it up:)

Posted by
934 posts

Im on Medicare and that doesnt cover me in Europe although my supplement does. However evacuation is what concerns me.A friend of mine had to fly his wife from Florida to Wisc. and it cost 20,000 dollars.I cant imagine what it would cost to be flown home from Europe.I view it a little like life insurance.I have life insurance but if i dont collect on it it makes me very happy.For a 100.00 i get insurance that covers medical and evacuation.

Posted by
41 posts

Jack,

Better take a good luck at your medicare supplement policy. The limit is $50,000. I would make sure that any policy anyone gets cover both medical and a healthy amount of repatriation coverage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know someone who spent $124,000 for an air ambulance back to the US.
It was extreme, but so were his needs once he was "able" to travel after about two months in the hospital out of the country. The $50,000 medicare supplement benefit was expended in a matter of days.

Posted by
2030 posts

As this post illustrates, as well as the debate going on in our country at present, virtually everyone agrees on the importance of health insurance. It's something we don't want to pay for, particularly if you are young and healthy, but if something happens and you don't have it, it can be catastrophic. I never leave the country without it.

Posted by
115 posts

I actually was a travel agent until a year ago and before i became one i probably would have thought that i would be fine and that nothing would happen to me...

but then i helped s many people with their claims and its amazing what can happen! now i would never travel without it!!

in Australia the company that I deal with allows you to be covered for cancellations etc as soon as you take out the insurance... i am travelling in september/october 08 and i purchase my insurance in soctober 07 - so i am actually covered between then and when i leave at no extra cost :)

Posted by
25 posts

I've found that the website www.Insuremytrip.com has some very reasonable medical insurance rates. My girlfriend and I are going to Europe for 6 weeks this summer, and a $100,000 policy with $250 deductible is only something like $55 per person, with a decrease in the deductible to $100 for only $10 more. Very reasonable, and there are a whole bunch of different companies quoted on the site.

Brian