Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

The last time we travelled (early summer) we used Travelguard, but this time around our cost is less yet the premium was almost double! What is that? Would winter travel be the reason?

At any rate, I decided that maybe we should check another company. Besides Travel Guard, which other companies have you used, and would you recommend them?

Posted by
23268 posts

Insurance is always a risk assessment. Travel in the winter, especially from the midwest, has an addition element of winter storms. A good blizzard can shut down an airport for many hours if not a day or two. A thunderstorm will cause delay but seldom extend closures. There also may be some additional risk where you are going this year as compared to last summer.

Posted by
1170 posts

We're going roughly the same places, Abingdon and Paris (except for Brittany). Our cost is less this time around too, so it was a bit odd.

I was hoping to hear from others who used the various recommendations by Rick Steves.

My only experience is with Travel Guard.

Posted by
51 posts

I check with insuremytrip.com. It compares a variety of companies and different plans. I always buy from them.

Posted by
345 posts

I am really, really happy with the emergency/health travel insurance that I got through American Express. Great price and the coverage is excellent. Fortunately I have never had cause to use it so I can't report on that.

Posted by
88 posts

In addition to insuremytrip.com, I'd recommend tripinsurancestore.com. I found a policy with better protections than last year and at half the cost of my policy last year, and both of those sites are great at comparing plans before you choose one.