Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

My sister and I are going to Italy, Switzerland and France for 2 weeks in August. Please advise some good trip insurance.
We will be renting a car for the entire trip and were given advice not to pay for the PAI ( I think that stands for Personal Accidental Injury) with the car rental agency, but instead to get travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies. I’ve looked up some travel insurance and some of it is very expensive. We’re not trying to break the bank here, so would appreciate the best bang for our buck. Thank you so much!

Posted by
1111 posts

char_island
A good resource for comparison is Insuremytrip.com. Everyone's needs are different, so a simple answer is not possible.

Posted by
2980 posts

Everyone’s insurance needs are different. Are you looking for medical, med evacuation and/or trip expense coverage? What works for me, may not be what you’re looking for.

There are lots for forum posts on the subject. The search feature can be difficult so here’s the link to the past six months. https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=6m&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Travel+insurance&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Insurance can be confusing, so ask questions to clarify if you need/want to.

EDIT TO ADD: Always read the fine print policy very carefully. The devil is in the details. Example: Your medical coverage may not cover pre-existing conditions if you don’t buy your policy within a specific (and short) time after you pay your first non-refundable payment. Another: not all med evac coverages are the same. Some get you to the nearest facility, others get you to the facility of your choice, including home. Read and call the insurance company to clarify. If the answer doesn’t sound right, hang up and call back to talk to someone else or a supervisor.

Posted by
2980 posts

Slightly off track but I see you added about car insurance to your post. You will want to return the car in the country you rented it. I understand the rental companies charge hefty fees if the car is rented in and return to different countries.

I saw you posted last year about renting cars. You’ve done your homework to understand each country’s driving rules I’m sure. Did you drive then?

My long ago driving experience in Ireland and Italy taught me that if the map app says it’s a 2 hour drive, it’s more like 3 for some slower roads, getting lost and the all important potty and snack breaks.

Auto Europe used to have a “no fault” insurance. Even if you banged up the car, when you return it you’re off the hook. Worth checking into. Don’t know of they still have it. I last drove in Italy in 2019.

Posted by
919 posts

Just finished buying a travel medical insurance policy for two septuagenarians traveling to Europe for four months. We got it for an unbelievable premium of less than $600. It doesn't offer anything for trip cancelation, and its coverage for delays is minimal. But it offers up to $250,000 for emergency medical care and an equal amount for evacuation back to our home if medically required. The usual pre-existing condition exclusions apply. It's an A-rated A.M. Best insurance company.

I found this on a comparison site run by Forbes and Squaremouth, jointly. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/l/best-travel-insurance/?utm_campaign=20805316053&accountid=1703363182&utm_content=158873993489&utm_term=kwd-11340551&network=g&device=t&placement=&location_physical=9031389&device_model=&creative=682625873933&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmYCzBhA6EiwAxFwfgKF_g5vhbLosfsAOi0R28aWs1RBVgbOfCXfZoAPHEMvNvnu9tGvQ5BoC-50QAvD_BwE